Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Since we completed on our purchase back in January we haven't heard from anyone about either of these taxes.

Do we need to go and talk to the Marie about it?
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Originally Posted by loy loy
Since we completed on our purchase back in January we haven't heard from anyone about either of these taxes.

Do we need to go and talk to the Marie about it?
Can't answer your question but it would be the Tax office (Centre des finances publiques) that you would need to go to.
The tax is not due to be paid until October (Foncieres) and November/December (D'habitation).
My understanding is that it is the owner on January 1st who is liable for the taxes for that year. Others will clarify for you. It may be that you are not liable for these taxes in 2012.
The first we heard from them was when the tax bills arrived.
If you prefer not to pay large bills in these 2 months then you should set up standing orders in the tax office. These work as an estimated monthly pre-payment from January to October with any final amounts being collected by the same means in subsequent months.
Remember to take a RIB.
Alternatively, when you receive your tax notice you can pay online (with an additional week's grace for payment) or I assume send a cheque.
If you do not pay by the appointed date then there is a 10% surcharge.

Hope that helps
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

ah, thanks for that
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

I think you'll find that when you get all your accounting stuff from the house purchase, you'll see I'm sure that you will have refunded the previous owner for your pro rata portion of this years taxes. We moved in here in April, and paid no taxes that year.

We now pay all our bills online. Very simple.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

It's always good to talk to the Maire, as there are ways (known mostly to the French!) of reducing your tax bill. Never declare that you have more than one bathroom, for example, and kitchens don't count as rooms etc. etc.
Once you have filled in this declaration (no of rooms, type of heating, is it your principle or secondary residence etc.) I would recommend paying by direct debit to ensure you don't forget to pay and consequently get a fine!
Vanya
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanya
It's always good to talk to the Maire, as there are ways (known mostly to the French!) of reducing your tax bill. Never declare that you have more than one bathroom, for example, and kitchens don't count as rooms etc. etc.
Once you have filled in this declaration (no of rooms, type of heating, is it your principle or secondary residence etc.) I would recommend paying by direct debit to ensure you don't forget to pay and consequently get a fine!
Vanya
The details of the property and the level of the tax are already established for the property for 2012.
Our french friends helped us with completing this form which arrived automatically from the tax office.
Yes you have to state whether it is a principle residence or a secondary residence.
The Centre des finances publiques were very helpful in sorting everything out for us after waiting in the usual french queue
You can find their address in pagejaunes or I am sure that the Mairie will point you in their direction.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the help everyone
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if this is always the case, but when we went to the Tresor, they told us to come back when we had finished renovating. (just hoping all the back taxes don't accumulate!)
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I am not sure if this is always the case, but when we went to the Tresor, they told us to come back when we had finished renovating. (just hoping all the back taxes don't accumulate!)
I believe it depends on the nature of the renovations. If you're increasing the living space or (I think) putting in extra bathrooms then the tax assessment might be increased (if you tell them about it).

No expert and open to correction.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I too may be wrong, but I think you are right. I remember though that when I lived in Germany in the 70s, somehow houses never actually got completely finished (top floor and tiles on roof missing or granny flat in the basement never more than a concrete space).
In all truth, as our builder scarpered with a fair bit of our money, it may well take several years before we finish.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:16 am
Just Joined

kit kat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello , We live in Villemoustaussou outside Carcassonne in a 5/6 bedroom house and we pay just under 6.000e a year for our Tax D'habitation and just under 4.000e Tax Fonciere,in total 10.000e a year. Im 65 my sister is 68 and my brother is 60.These taxes seem to be excessive anyone else paying this kind of money ???????
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The bills are sent to the person who owned (foncieres) and occupied (habitation) the property on 1st Jan of the year in question.

So you were neither the owner nor the occupier on 1.1.12, you won't receive the bills this year.

You can look forward to receiving them in the 4th quarter of 2013, for the period 1.1.13 to 31.12.13.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Kit kat, reductions/exemptions for low income and age are normally applied automatically as per your tax return. Do you live full-time in France, did you receive your avis d'imposition and if so, have you checked that your revenu fiscale de référence looks correct?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:15 am
Just Joined

kit kat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Euro Trash.
We live in France full time and been here for 4 years don't pay any French income tax as we are all retired ,and never heard of avis d'imposition .One heck of a lot of money on a British pension!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kit kat
Hello , We live in Villemoustaussou outside Carcassonne in a 5/6 bedroom house and we pay just under 6.000e a year for our Tax D'habitation and just under 4.000e Tax Fonciere,in total 10.000e a year. Im 65 my sister is 68 and my brother is 60.These taxes seem to be excessive anyone else paying this kind of money ???????

crikey - I hope not. We are just in the process of updating habitation levels. If it is anything like that, we are moving!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.