Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

sur La Pont Mathilde

sur La Pont Mathilde

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road
Default sur La Pont Mathilde

I can only assume that the lovely bridge that normally gets us from one side of Rouen to the other side on our journey from Calais to Alencon is still out of action. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting round this one?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sur La Pont Mathilde

Originally Posted by jonkemp
I can only assume that the lovely bridge that normally gets us from one side of Rouen to the other side on our journey from Calais to Alencon is still out of action. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting round this one?
Hi, a google search says that Le Pont Mathilde will be re-opening to traffic in the summer of 2014.
Sorry I can't help with an alternative itinerary, but no doubt others who take that route will have suggestions!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Pont de Normandie at le Havre would be a good bet.

PS Unless it scares you sh*tless as it does me.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Pont de Normandie works well, or if you go through Rouen at silly o'clock in the morning when there is no traffic, just follow the signposted diversion - it takes you over the next bridge, then back onto the usual route.

Last I heard, it was all up in the air (or not) indefinitely because Rouen didn't have a clue where it was going to find the money from to basically build a new bridge. Have they got a plan now?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Last I heard, it was all up in the air (or not) indefinitely because Rouen didn't have a clue where it was going to find the money from to basically build a new bridge. Have they got a plan now?
Hi,
That's weird, as the bridge was damaged by a tanker catching fire on it, so presumably the lorry's insurance would cover repairs. It reminds me of an accident in Bar le Duc in 1976 between a Citroën Traction and a freight train that was to cost la MAIF 30 million francs, which in today's money would be worth around 19 million euros (taking inflation etc into account). It was to be the most expensive road accident ever to take place in France. Perhaps Le Pont Mathilde will break the record.

The Rouen Chamber of Commerce is very worried about lost revenues due to the traffic jams.

Otherwise, to answer the question, as suggested already, cross the Seine over the Pont de Normandie and keep going to Bourg Achard, then down the A28 (?). Or cross the Channel through Le Havre.

If I had a fiver for every time I've crossed that bridge
PB
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,

Otherwise, to answer the question, as suggested already, cross the Seine over the Pont de Normandie and keep going to Bourg Achard, then down the A28 (?). Or cross the Channel through Le Havre.

If I had a fiver for every time I've crossed that bridge
PB
It'd cost a lot more than a fiver for me to do it again (except sitting in the passenger seat with my eyes closed).
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

I have just checked out Pont de Normandie on Google Earth. I am not sure I can drive that far with my eyes closed.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:07 pm
Born again atheist

I have just checked out Pont de Normandie on Google Earth. I am not sure I can drive that far with my eyes closed.
What can I say? Get married?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

I am, my wife is worse
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:27 pm
Born again atheist

I am, my wife is worse
Enjoy.

http://www.survoldefrance.fr/afficha...ev_suiv_link=1
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

A rumour which was rife around Honfleur and Le Havre at the time of the Pont de Normandie being built was that they'd solved all the engineering problems except one - and that was how to get the very last span in place. This was the section which would join the two halves of the bridge. The rumour was that they'd started to build with a somewhat cavalier belief that by the time the final section was to be completed, they'd have worked out how to put it in place.
I've no idea whether it's true - but it's a great story!