Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Old Oct 29th 2020, 6:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strap yourselves down for further lockdown

Originally Posted by dmu
Aaah, this wasn't obvious! If you have documents to prove that you're "returning home", then it might work if any one controlling you doesn't wonder why you need an Italian rental van to return from a holiday in Italy. Can some one (resident in Italy) accompany you, who would return the rental van to Italy? This will mean renting in both names, but you can weigh up the pros and cons....
P.S. Does any one remember whether people were allowed to move during the first lockdown? I have an idea it wasn't possible.....
@ Campos There was a question towards the end of the Press Conference concerning moving during the lockdown. Although I didn't catch whether the PM said oui or non , he did say that the Removal Firms would have to have the necessary Attestation, so moves are allowed, but he did specify "Removal firms", which isn't your case.
@ Alianco The PM only mentioned travelling this coming weekend, after the school holidays and for la Toussaint, with a Déclaration sur l'Honneur, but I think that Prés. Macron said yesterday that "French Residents" would be able to return "home". There might be yet another Attestation for that option, as I doubt that it'll be mentioned in those which are supposed to be downloadable this evening.
HTH
Old Oct 29th 2020, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Exactly my sentiments! Of course the date will always be current, which in my non-French bureaucratic mind is the all-important factor. Good for the environment too, less scrap paper!
I'm by far the least technically minded, but I could fill in the attestation on my mobile phone and download it to show anyone if necessary. It was identical to the paper version and would even remember my details so all I had to do was check that the updated date and time was filled in correctly and accept it. Of course I could change the reason from exercise to shopping as needed. I was only ever stopped twice, both times in my car.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 2:18 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

At the current time (18.25) the new Attestation form has yet to appear on the government web site. Info filltering through is that there will be three separate forms (why keep it simple when it can be made complicated).
i) For those leaving the home for work, or returning home after work.
ii) For general use: excercising, pet walking, essential shopping, medical visits etc.
iii) For parents accompanying their kids to/from school.
Some folks not working from home, with a pet needing morning/evening excercise and with children, may have to make out 3 forms each day......

I quite believe that many stores were doing good business today with folks stocking up with necessary goods. I thought I'd be clever, avoid the nearby LeClerc supermarket, and popped into a stationery shop to purchase a couple of erasable ink pens. Not such a good idea after all, as there was a small queue of people waiting to buy exactly the same product, no doubt for the same purpose, i.e. the Attestation form.
I had to smile at the irony of this, people queuing to get the erasable pens for the coronavirus form !! Increasing infection risk in order to comply with the de-risking CV19 strategy

I watched both the speeches of Macron/Castex to try and understand the changes. I made a note I could refer to with the summary and links:-

Par ailleurs il ne sera pas possible “de voyager au sein du territoire national, y compris d’une résidence principale vers une résidence secondaire”, a ajouté le Premier ministre, en précisant qu’“une amende forfaitaire de 135 euros sera appliquée en cas de non respect du confinement”. Huff post https://m.huffingtonpost.fr/entry/at...b6aab57a1055c0

Travel within France, including to holiday homes, will be prohibited, though borders with EU countries will remain open, the prime minister said. Visits to friends or family are also banned.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20201029/fra...covid-19-tests The PM said anyone arriving in the country would have to undergo a Covid-19 test as has already been the case for certain travellers “Anyone arriving in the country will have to prove a negative test carried out 72 hours in advance. And for those who do not have the result of a test, a test on arrival will be imposed," he said.

​​​​​​
https://www.thelocal.fr/20201029/att...home-in-france

The forms you need to go out, including one in English.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...r_ajax_redir=1

The government site re corona etc. Note the last update is 16/10. But I am sure that the site will be shortly updated with the practical details emerging from the PM's speech last night

I may have to enter Italy in transit, to go to France. This is a great site from the Italian government A good questionnaire!!
https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it...ngtoitaly.html

I am trying to figure out if I can go to a secondary residence in France, from Belgium, i.e within Schengen. Realising that I would immediately have to follow the new lockdown rules.

The French residents/citizens can't. But the border is open?? Whilst it may be unfair, as long as its not illegal - we will probably do it. Any ideas please??

Also there will be that window, where I've crossed the border into France on the way to the home. Being stopped by the police could be a problem as the forms aren't applicable. Of course I will be more than 1km from the home. So the only thing I can think of is to bring my tax d'habitation with me as proof.

Also I haven't seen any clear info (yet) for the case of someone transiting France only, to get to another country as mentioned earlier e.g Italy-Spain. Or e.g UK-Italy, Belgium -Spain etc.

The Italian questionnaire is a great best practice IMO something other governments could use.

Finally the PM said hotels were only open for business travel, (with food only available via room-service). I haven't seen anything, as yet, for people in transit. But with Schengen open there shouldn't be a problem (I hope)

Its early days yet, and I'm sure that in the next couple of days things will be clearer.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 30th 2020 at 2:30 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
@ Campos There was a question towards the end of the Press Conference concerning moving during the lockdown. Although I didn't catch whether the PM said oui or non , he did say that the Removal Firms would have to have the necessary Attestation, so moves are allowed, but he did specify "Removal firms", which isn't your case.
HTH
Sorry to be giving info in dribs and drabs, but the radio has just said that people moving during the lockdown period must produce their property deeds or rental lease to justify being out and about. And, having looked at the Attestation published last evening, the box "Déplacements pour motif familial impérieux" seems to be the only one possible to be ticked.
As said, a Certificate dated less than 72 hours stating that you're Covid-negative, must be presented at the border, failing which they'll do a test on the spot. Which in turn must mean having to wait for the result before being able to continue...
A partial translation of the Portuguese lease into French may be required by a mono-lingual Official - be prepared for this. As I'm wont to say, fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Travel to holiday homes in France is prohibited. Seems pretty unambiguous to me.

Why would you even want to, or am I missing something?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 30th 2020 at 7:42 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

My wife had to leave for work this morning, so she used this form: https://media.interieur.gouv.fr/depl...wJsVXVaTGJkzWI
I don't know if that's a left over relic from the first wave or not. Last night when I checked the main government website it still didn't appear available - talk about leaving it last minute. I suspect they won't be policing it too hard today, especially given they haven't provided provisions for people to easily access and download it.

Jon-Bxl: Many Parisians have fled to their second residence. You could always claim you were on holiday, and then you'd have this weekend left to get there, after that it may be tricky.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to be giving info in dribs and drabs, but the radio has just said that people moving during the lockdown period must produce their property deeds or rental lease to justify being out and about. And, having looked at the Attestation published last evening, the box "Déplacements pour motif familial impérieux" seems to be the only one possible to be ticked.
As said, a Certificate dated less than 72 hours stating that you're Covid-negative, must be presented at the border, failing which they'll do a test on the spot. Which in turn must mean having to wait for the result before being able to continue...
A partial translation of the Portuguese lease into French may be required by a mono-lingual Official - be prepared for this. As I'm wont to say, fore-warned is fore-armed!
Originally Posted by dmu
@ Alianco The PM only mentioned travelling this coming weekend, after the school holidays and for la Toussaint, with a Déclaration sur l'Honneur, but I think that Prés. Macron said yesterday that "French Residents" would be able to return "home". There might be yet another Attestation for that option, as I doubt that it'll be mentioned in those which are supposed to be downloadable this evening.
HTH
Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I had to smile at the irony of this, people queuing to get the erasable pens for the coronavirus form !! Increasing infection risk in order to comply with the de-risking CV19 strategy

I watched both the speeches of Macron/Castex to try and understand the changes. I made a note I could refer to with the summary and links:-

Par ailleurs il ne sera pas possible “de voyager au sein du territoire national, y compris d’une résidence principale vers une résidence secondaire”, a ajouté le Premier ministre, en précisant qu’“une amende forfaitaire de 135 euros sera appliquée en cas de non respect du confinement”. Huff post https://m.huffingtonpost.fr/entry/at...b6aab57a1055c0

Travel within France, including to holiday homes, will be prohibited, though borders with EU countries will remain open, the prime minister said. Visits to friends or family are also banned.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20201029/fra...covid-19-tests The PM said anyone arriving in the country would have to undergo a Covid-19 test as has already been the case for certain travellers “Anyone arriving in the country will have to prove a negative test carried out 72 hours in advance. And for those who do not have the result of a test, a test on arrival will be imposed," he said.

​​​​​​
https://www.thelocal.fr/20201029/att...home-in-france

The forms you need to go out, including one in English.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...r_ajax_redir=1

The government site re corona etc. Note the last update is 16/10. But I am sure that the site will be shortly updated with the practical details emerging from the PM's speech last night

I may have to enter Italy in transit, to go to France. This is a great site from the Italian government A good questionnaire!!
https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it...ngtoitaly.html

I am trying to figure out if I can go to a secondary residence in France, from Belgium, i.e within Schengen. Realising that I would immediately have to follow the new lockdown rules.

The French residents/citizens can't. But the border is open?? Whilst it may be unfair, as long as its not illegal - we will probably do it. Any ideas please??

Also there will be that window, where I've crossed the border into France on the way to the home. Being stopped by the police could be a problem as the forms aren't applicable. Of course I will be more than 1km from the home. So the only thing I can think of is to bring my tax d'habitation with me as proof.

Also I haven't seen any clear info (yet) for the case of someone transiting France only, to get to another country as mentioned earlier e.g Italy-Spain. Or e.g UK-Italy, Belgium -Spain etc.

The Italian questionnaire is a great best practice IMO something other governments could use.

Finally the PM said hotels were only open for business travel, (with food only available via room-service). I haven't seen anything, as yet, for people in transit. But with Schengen open there shouldn't be a problem (I hope)

Its early days yet, and I'm sure that in the next couple of days things will be clearer.

Jon
I've put the move on ice. I have a rental agreement for PT but then getting it translated and then the covid test and then the Spain situation.... and the same for return. Too risky and to much hassle at the moment. All inputs appreciated.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Travel to holiday homes in France is prohibited. Seems pretty unambiguous to me.

Why would you even want to, or am I missing something?
There were so many city dwellers travelling to holiday homes in the Spring with their children for a more pleasant confinement, that clusters formed all over the place. Hence IMO the prohibition this time to avoid circulation of the virus.
I wouldn't dream of moving out of my comfort zone for the duration, but then I don't live in a city.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 7:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by campos
I've put the move on ice. I have a rental agreement for PT but then getting it translated and then the covid test and then the Spain situation.... and the same for return. Too risky and to much hassle at the moment. All inputs appreciated.
Wise decision!
Old Oct 30th 2020, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
There were so many city dwellers travelling to holiday homes in the Spring with their children for a more pleasant confinement, that clusters formed all over the place. Hence IMO the prohibition this time to avoid circulation of the virus.
AFAIK if you arrive at your second home before confinement starts and stay for the duration it is ok (although the locals might not like it). What you can't do is travel from one to the other during confinement.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I think given everybody's been moving here, there and everywhere during the summer holidays, you can't pinpoint blame on a few city dwellers who moved into their secondary homes. The virus is everywhere right now... Where I live it's very calm and there's little mention of it. The nurse who tested my wife last week said every result has come back negative, and yet the local village pharmacy has said there are people who have it, there in the village. I don't know that there's any getting away from it.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:02 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AFAIK if you arrive at your second home before confinement starts and stay for the duration it is ok (although the locals might not like it). What you can't do is travel from one to the other during confinement.
Yes, provided they arrived yesterday before midnight! But fewer people will be concerned anyway (those without children, since schools are remaining open....)
As an anecdote, DD2 who has resumed studies and is working en alternance (in two different Régions), returned to her principal residence (the Uni town) yesterday evening by train, avoiding travelling with the crowds this weekend and, as a bonus, without an Attestation....
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Vesna is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone watching the French news this evening will be aware that E. Macron has announced lockdown for France from midnight of Thurs this week.
Further clarification is expected tomorrow but the main points would appear to be:
Essential stores will remain open, ditto for schools (high schools, primary and nurseries).
Bars, restaurants, cinemas, theatres will close, as will universities.
Justification forms required for anyone leaving home (as during the first lockdown), with non-essential travel between different regions of France no longer allowed - with exceptions just for this weekend.
These changes are expected to remain until 1st Dec, after which the situation will be reviewed.
Does anyone know if one is allowed to travel back from French holiday home to their primary residence in the UK by car and if so what form does one need? We are currently in our holiday home in the south of France and for various reasons cannot travel until the next weekend. Where should we look for the right form for a re-patriation trip?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can legimately travel back to your main residence until the end of this weekend.
After that it would depend what the "various reasons" are why you can't make the trip this weekend. If it's because you're caring for a child or elderly or vulnerable person or a business imperative or other acceptable essential reason you would tick the appropriate box on the attestation. If it's to finish a diy project that you're in the middle of, or to finish eating the food in the freezer, you take your chances of being stopped. We were given notice on Wednesday, no non essential travel in France after this weekend. Or at least that is what I took away from the speech, did you understand it differently?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 30th 2020 at 9:45 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Vesna is an unknown quantity at this point

You can legimately travel back to your main residence until the end of this weekend.
After that it would depend what the "various reasons" are why you can't make the trip this weekend. If it's because you're caring for a child or elderly or vulnerable person or a business imperative or other acceptable essential reason you would tick the appropriate box on the attestation. If it's to finish a diy project that you're in the middle of, or to finish eating the food in the freezer, you take your chances of being stopped. We were given notice on Wednesday, no non essential travel in France after this weekend. Or at least that is what I took away from the speech, did you understand it differently?
Thank you for that, the reason for delay is our dog who cannot travel to UK until 7th, following a recent vaccine for Rabies. Obviously, we cannot leave the poor animal behind so we are stranded here too for another week. 😕🐾

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.