Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Sterling plunge

Sterling plunge

Old Aug 10th 2018, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sterling plunge

I note that the pound continues to plunge, and I read that it's now at the lowest level since Oct last Year, with the markets worrying about the possibility of a 'no-deal' Brexit. We transferred funds from UK two weeks ago, as we normally do to last us 6 months at a time. Beginning to think I should start to watch the money market far more closely to get the most favorable rates. Either way I appreciate its a gamble, and this may be a timely reminder to all who are thinking of permanently moving to France and who rely on UK based funds, that we all could be in for a harder ride currency-wise in the future.
For those who are not aware, domestic gas prices here seem to be permanently on the rise, with yet another 7% increase last month. Another significant cost being petrol - and especially diesel prices at the pump, with the recent decision that my non-essential max 10K annual mileage/year will now be significantly reduced. Fortunately we have a regular revenue generated in France, but for those who don't it's certainly much harder now than in the past to make ends-meet. Those rose-coloured spectacles which many wear prior to moving to France are now becoming increasingly more opaque.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Aug 10th 2018 at 8:46 am.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sterling plunge

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I note that the pound continues to plunge, and I read that it's now at the lowest level since Oct last Year, with the markets worrying about the possibility of a 'no-deal' Brexit. We transferred funds from UK two weeks ago, as we normally do to last us 6 months at a time. Beginning to think I should start to watch the money market far more closely to get the most favorable rates. Either way I appreciate its a gamble, and this may be a timely reminder to all who are thinking of permanently moving to France and who rely on UK based funds, that we all could be in for a harder ride currency-wise in the future.
For those who are not aware, domestic gas prices here seem to be permanently on the rise, with yet another 7% increase last month. Another significant cost being petrol - and especially diesel prices at the pump, with the recent decision that my non-essential max 10K annual mileage/year will now be significantly reduced. Fortunately we have a regular revenue generated in France, but for those who don't it's certainly much harder now than in the past to make ends-meet. Those rose-coloured spectacles which many wear prior to moving to France are now becoming increasingly more opaque.
Wise words, to be taken on board by potential expats who would be relying on UK Pensions, rentals, dividends, etc. to live on...
Old Aug 10th 2018, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found UK gas prices to be pretty steep. Do you think French prices for an equivalent property are more or less? Bear in mind we are buying in Carcassonne and I expect the summer to last longer than in Folkestone. Having been a bit shocked at the taxe fonciere in Carcassonne I am reconciled with it being a combined council, sun, wine and baguette tax. It sits a little easier with me now.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood how people try to compare prices on one isolated thing across two economies, and even less across two currencies.
Property in France and the UK can never really be equivalent because in the UK it's also seen as an investment; and it's generally expected that a house is everyone's biggest aspirational lifetime purchase. In France property isn't seen as an investment and property ownership isn't seen as aspirational. So it's like trying to equate chalk and cheese.
I do sympathise with those hit by the slump in sterling (although every coin has two sides and I've been taking advantage of it myself to top up my UK bank account), and it's unfortunate that it's coincided with a steep rise in fuel prices in France which hits everyone that lives here regardless of where their income is sourced from.
But I sincerely hope it doesn't stop anyone from enjoying the summer.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
I found UK gas prices to be pretty steep. Do you think French prices for an equivalent property are more or less? Bear in mind we are buying in Carcassonne and I expect the summer to last longer than in Folkestone. Having been a bit shocked at the taxe fonciere in Carcassonne I am reconciled with it being a combined council, sun, wine and baguette tax. It sits a little easier with me now.
Your question on equivalent property prices is not one that can be simply answered, as there are so many variables. Suffice to say on similar properties in terms of surface area and similar pleasant areas in Carcassone v AnotherUK tourist location, I reckon that over 10 years the value of the UK property would largely outpace the French property. This 'guesstimate' obviously ignores any currency exchange disasters which is impossible to know - especially in view of Brexit and......euro being abandoned from 2022? if the Le Pen/FN come to power!
What was it that attracted you to Carcassone in particular? A place I've visited twice, once with my tourist hat on, and once to visit a relation in the nearby hospital. On both occasions I found the area too crowded for my liking. The strong tramontan wind is another of my dislikes for the area. Wasn't it Victor Hugo who commented on the tramontan, "The wind coming over the mountain will drive me mad."
To assist further I've just done a rapid search for coute de la vie - Carcassone. That link was the first to appear, although to put your mind at ease perhaps you should read the 4 pages of comments with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

@ET, I trust you've been enjoying your summer, as your dept (like most in France this year) have been experiencing many weeks of sun with exceptional temperatures. September is one of my favourite months, usually ample sunny periods but not too hot. Always look forward to that.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 10:49 am
Account Closed

I don't think I made myself clear with my question. I wasn't comparing house prices, I am fully aware that a French property is not an investment. After the comment on the price rises for gas it was simply whether it was possible to suggest if a UK gas bill for a 2 bed city flat was likely more or less than a French one. Probably unanswerable so forget the question. I'm certainly not buying here to make money.
We have chosen Carcassonne because neither of us want a car, but want the culture and all the offerings of a small city, all within walking distance.
The airport so my wife can easily fly back to UK for her ageing parents, as can I when necessary.
Having lived mostly in London and 4 years in Hong Kong, Carcassonne is not crowded by our standards.
It's a pretty cosmopolitan place.
It's a beautiful city with some lovely old houses (hopefully including ours if we get the one we are looking at 'au pied de la cite').
We can live on our boat on the Canal du Midi while we work on it if necessary.
As a recreational sailor I have a certain love of the wind.
There is a good music and art scene here.
Probably other things as well, but I'm sure you get the point.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 11:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Your question on equivalent property prices is not one that can be simply answered, as there are so many variables. Suffice to say on similar properties in terms of surface area and similar pleasant areas in Carcassone v AnotherUK tourist location, I reckon that over 10 years the value of the UK property would largely outpace the French property. This 'guesstimate' obviously ignores any currency exchange disasters which is impossible to know - especially in view of Brexit and......euro being abandoned from 2022? if the Le Pen/FN come to power!
What was it that attracted you to Carcassone in particular? A place I've visited twice, once with my tourist hat on, and once to visit a relation in the nearby hospital. On both occasions I found the area too crowded for my liking. The strong tramontan wind is another of my dislikes for the area. Wasn't it Victor Hugo who commented on the tramontan, "The wind coming over the mountain will drive me mad."
To assist further I've just done a rapid search for coute de la vie - Carcassone. That link was the first to appear, although to put your mind at ease perhaps you should read the 4 pages of comments with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
The Tramontane does frequently drive us mad, rather like the Föhn does for the Swiss...
Sailors might appreciate it in the Med, but on land, it can be too much....
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I totally misunderstood your post, Allianco!
I've never actually come across mains gas in France so "gas bills" don't spring to mind naturally, and bearing in mind the previous post about fuel prices, I thought you were using "gas" in the US sense, ie petrol, and I didn't see the connection between that sentence and the next. I thought you must be talking about "prices to buy the equivalent property"
Although on re reading, I see domestic gas prices were also mentioned. I must have skipped over that bit, since it's not something that interests me.
Must be the holidays making me dopey, either that or senility advancing by leaps and bounds. Sorry for the confusion, all.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Aug 11th 2018 at 3:16 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

@ET, I trust you've been enjoying your summer, as your dept (like most in France this year) have been experiencing many weeks of sun with exceptional temperatures. September is one of my favourite months, usually ample sunny periods but not too hot. Always look forward to that.
TBH I haven't been in my dept much - as every summer, I've been off in the motorhome since early July. I did dip down south but it was far too hot for me so I came back, and been mostly pottering around northern France. Very enjoyable.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 6:05 am
Account Closed

It's certainly been almost unbearable down here on the boat. After about two and a half weeks of 35-38 degrees every day and no shade that we could use with depth of our keel we left the boat on a secure mooring in Trebes and had a couple of nights in a hotel with aircon and a pool. Absolute bliss. Now it's just hot, but comfortable.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think I made myself clear with my question. I wasn't comparing house prices, I am fully aware that a French property is not an investment. After the comment on the price rises for gas it was simply whether it was possible to suggest if a UK gas bill for a 2 bed city flat was likely more or less than a French one. Probably unanswerable so forget the question. I'm certainly not buying here to make money.
We have chosen Carcassonne because neither of us want a car, but want the culture and all the offerings of a small city, all within walking distance.
The airport so my wife can easily fly back to UK for her ageing parents, as can I when necessary.
Having lived mostly in London and 4 years in Hong Kong, Carcassonne is not crowded by our standards.
It's a beautiful city with some lovely old houses (hopefully including ours if we get the one we are looking at 'au pied de la cite').
Apologies, I misunderstood your original question too. Sorry, no idea either of comparison UK gas bill v French.
I understand you not finding Carcassonne crowded - even in the high season compared to Hong-Kong, as we also lived in HK for 4 years, first in New Territories Sai Kun, then Yau Yat Chuen. Have since found glorious peace and tranquility.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

We stuck to the islands, Lamma for 2 years and then Cheung Chau. Best place we ever lived, but you can't go back and relive your past as we've discovered to some extent on the canals.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:08 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Carcassonne I wouldn't consider cosmopolitan so much, just a busier place on the fringe of France yes and pretty in the walled part of the town. Somewhere like Chartres is cosmopolitan Sunday, is a normal shopping day visiting the place on a Sunday is like being in a different country.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

I lived nearly 10 years not far from Carcasonne and I love it (my middle child was born there). The wind properly sent me loopy though - especially when it blew for the famous 11 day stints . I am not sure if it has changed but it was pretty dead in the winter even in the centre, it may be better now though. When we returned to France a few years ago we came a bit further north (Dordogne) and Perigueux and Bergerac are lively all year round and we have easy access to Bordeaux when we need a proper city. In terms of heating you won't use as much gas / electricity etc as in the UK but the winters can get pretty cold, my coldest winters here have been colder than they were in the UK (-12).