Static home

Old Mar 29th 2022, 9:56 am
Just Joined

FrancoPhil02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Static home

Hello, new member here. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to buy a static home in France without having a residence permit?
Old Mar 29th 2022, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Static home

Hi
I see that you have German citizenship and as an EU citizen you don't need a residence permit.
Have you considered renting a home at least initially?
You have lived in Germany for many years and (if you are retired) your healthcare should be covered by Germany.

Old Mar 29th 2022, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Hello Cyrian, thankyou for your reply. It's a nice idea, renting a home. It would certainly save a lot of trouble with all the paperwork. I will look into it. The only thing that puts me off buying a home is the possibility of selling it at a later date. Hence the idea of buying a static home. I won't be staying in France throughout the entire year as most places where static homes are available only allow seasonal access, e.g. April to October. Also I feel the possibility of later selling a static home could be easier?
Old Mar 29th 2022, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody needs a residence permit to buy a house or a mobile home or any kind of residence in France. Many people who don't have the right to live in France, buy a place as a holiday home, for themselves or to rent out.
Since you don't cross a contolled border to get to France, there will be no checks on how long you spend here in any case.
One issue to bear in mind with mobile homes is that some / most sites have restrictions on the age of the units that can be sited there. I suppose they feel it's bad for their image if they have a lot of old units around the campsite that may be showing their age. Some have an age limit of 15 years old for example. So it may not be easy to sell a static once it gets towards the end of its life.
Old Mar 29th 2022, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

I didn't know that. Thanks for the good advice.
Old Mar 29th 2022, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on location and plot prices, probably easier to put it on you own land if the council allow and give you permit. No idea about France, it seems above 40m2 would be considered leisure building/new construction according to info here and below 40m2 is forbidden for permanent living if mobile home and not leisure habitations légères de loisirs :
https://www.french-property.com/guid...e/mobile-homes

These days it's more a modular home rather than a static and a great option

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 29th 2022 at 2:44 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 5:25 am
Just Joined

I don't think I could go through the rigmarole of buying the land, applying for planning permission and getting it all connected up. Probably also require a fosse septique which would be expensive...
If I do go down that route I would prefer something already standing. Thanks for the useful link though!
Old Mar 30th 2022, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the most hassle free solution would be to rent a static caravan by the season?
Old Mar 30th 2022, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Yes that is another good possibility. After reading the link you sent me it appears permanent installation on private land is a no-go.

"Planning laws forbid the permanent installation of a mobile home on private land, whether your own, or that of another person. They must either be installed either on a residential leisure park created for this purpose, either a parc residentiel de loisirs or a village de vacance en hebergement."
Old Mar 30th 2022, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FrancoPhil02
it appears permanent installation on private land is a no-go.

"Planning laws forbid the permanent installation of a mobile home on private land, whether your own, or that of another person. They must either be installed either on a residential leisure park created for this purpose, either a parc residentiel de loisirs or a village de vacance en hebergement."
I believe you are correct. Basically France wants doesn't want people to have the option of making a mobile home their principal residence, and if it let people install them on private land how could it stop them.
Having said that, there is a mobile home installed in the courtyard of a house near me. It's been there for years, and before that there was a large motorhome in the same spot. I have often wondered how that works but I don't like to ask point blank.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I believe you are correct. Basically France wants doesn't want people to have the option of making a mobile home their principal residence, and if it let people install them on private land how could it stop them.
Having said that, there is a mobile home installed in the courtyard of a house near me. It's been there for years, and before that there was a large motorhome in the same spot. I have often wondered how that works but I don't like to ask point blank.
I see similar here in Ireland and Spain. Some just get away with it and for some it's seen as a caravan and plenty of people have those parked on their property. Unless a neighbour actually complains, most councils will probably not bother if a house is there already. It gets more complicated when you put it on an empty plot of land that's not developed and you need to connect to mains.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
... It gets more complicated when you put it on an empty plot of land that's not developed and you need to connect to mains.
Precisely. That is part of the "rigmarole" I was referring to. I like the idea of some sort of static home. although it would preferably have to be somewhere enclosed and quiet, i.e. not on a massive campsite. I have seen one or two of that nature.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FrancoPhil02
Precisely. That is part of the "rigmarole" I was referring to. I like the idea of some sort of static home. although it would preferably have to be somewhere enclosed and quiet, i.e. not on a massive campsite. I have seen one or two of that nature.
I can understand that and it's a real shame that regulations are often in the way. Especially for those who seek the quieter life and dont need a huge amount of space, it's far better than an apartment or large house that needs a lot maintenance.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Especially for those who seek the quieter life and dont need a huge amount of space,,,.
Exactly that yes. I can see more and more people wanting or even having to live off-grid in future.