Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Sorry to crash in - Holidaying and have a question!

Sorry to crash in - Holidaying and have a question!

Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice
Default Sorry to crash in - Holidaying and have a question!

We come to France on holiday twice a year, we stay at Siblu parks in the South of France. Today we were eating out and realised that we have seen a great number of cats on our various holidays, all in varying condition, none with collars etc.

Is there a problem with strays here? I tried to Google the question to no avail. I know the UK is a nation of animal lovers, but the French also seem to love their pets - taking cats (and dogs) on holiday with them.

Also, is there a rule on whether or not to offer bits of food to these strays? We saw such a tiny little kitten and took pity and offered a little bit of food but it was obviously in such a poor state it couldn't even eat that tiny bit.

Thanks in advance for answering!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:19 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry to crash in - Holidaying and have a question!

Oh lord, always something I dread when holidaying abroad, but if I were you, I would try the local Mairie - there will be one in whichever village/town is nearest to you. They can probably advise you.

I do know there are "refuges pour animaux" in France, similar to our animal sanctuaries, but you don't know if that kitten belonged to someone or not, and run the risk of "helping" but then someone's pet doesn't come home that night!

No idea if there is a rule against feeding "strays" but would presume that the gendarmes would probably not choose to shoot on sight (you I mean, not the kitten) if they saw you. Also, if there is a local gendarmerie, you could try asking in there if your French is up to it?

Good luck.
Andy
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:00 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SW3105
We come to France on holiday twice a year, we stay at Siblu parks in the South of France. Today we were eating out and realised that we have seen a great number of cats on our various holidays, all in varying condition, none with collars etc.

Is there a problem with strays here? I tried to Google the question to no avail. I know the UK is a nation of animal lovers, but the French also seem to love their pets - taking cats (and dogs) on holiday with them.

Also, is there a rule on whether or not to offer bits of food to these strays? We saw such a tiny little kitten and took pity and offered a little bit of food but it was obviously in such a poor state it couldn't even eat that tiny bit.

Thanks in advance for answering!
There are lots of strays in France as the general trend with unwanted cats is to drive them 20 km away and push em out of the car.......Never hurts to give a cat a treat. You will know if it's a Stray because if you manage to get near it it will probably remove your face. On the whole the French are a lot better with animals than the Spanish.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:54 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

lol, I could have saved a fortune on me facelift then - just go feed a stray cat!

I suspect that rabies is no longer a worry, but when we were in Alsace about 5 years ago, my ex's sister would not let her three kids go off into the woods and no, it wasn't in case Gary Glitter was lurking in there, she was worried about the wildlife having rabies.

Was she fussing about nothing or is it still a possibility?

Cheers to all
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
lol, I could have saved a fortune on me facelift then - just go feed a stray cat!

I suspect that rabies is no longer a worry, but when we were in Alsace about 5 years ago, my ex's sister would not let her three kids go off into the woods and no, it wasn't in case Gary Glitter was lurking in there, she was worried about the wildlife having rabies.

Was she fussing about nothing or is it still a possibility?

Cheers to all
When we go to the Vets' for our dog's vaccinations, they always ask whether we intend to travel to Eastern France with him in the year to come, in which case they'll add a rabies vaccine. We live in the Languedoc and there's no risk here (yet), but there certainly is one in the départements adjoining Switzerland and Germany, if not others, which shouldn't be taken lightly.