Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

SNCF e ticketing

SNCF e ticketing

Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default SNCF e ticketing

Sometimes I can get a better deal for advance tickets using the SNCF,Fr site rather than the UK site.

Last time I used the UK site I got an electronic ticket which was great because I didn't have to bother putting it into the machine at the station.

The advantage of an e ticket is that it doesn't have to be posted or collected.

Any experience of obtaining an e ticket on the French website?

Would I be able to use a UK visa(debit) or would I need to use my French bank card?

E-ticketing must be fairly common because the girl in my Tourist Office recognized my e ticket when I asked her what I had to do with it.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 2:48 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SNCF e ticketing

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
Sometimes I can get a better deal for advance tickets using the SNCF,Fr site rather than the UK site.

Last time I used the UK site I got an electronic ticket which was great because I didn't have to bother putting it into the machine at the station.

The advantage of an e ticket is that it doesn't have to be posted or collected.

Any experience of obtaining an e ticket on the French website?

Would I be able to use a UK visa(debit) or would I need to use my French bank card?

E-ticketing must be fairly common because the girl in my Tourist Office recognized my e ticket when I asked her what I had to do with it.
Hi, younger members of my family often buy E-tickets on the SNCF site, but I'm afraid I'm too old to cope with that, and prefer to get my tickets sent by post (provided I book far enough ahead).
I don't know about paying with a UK Visa card, as the SNCF site is now more secure. You must give your French Bank your mobile number before you book on-line, and when you've filled in the Payment details, your Bank immediately sends you an SMS with a Code number to enter. I don't know what happens if you use a non-French Card.
Hope this helps!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

UK cards should be ok but I prefer to use my French one.
I don't normally get an SMS through the SNCF site although for other sites.
UK cards also have secure payments where you are directed to VISA or MC sites and you have to enter your memorable info.
I have found the availability of e-tickets a bit patchy - sometimes they are offered and sometimes not. We did get them this time.
You need to provide photo ID if asked, to confirm that you are the registered traveller.
Alternatively, you can stick your bank card in the machines at the station and retrieve your tickets.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I always use http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ and always get etickets, and I have in the past paid with a UK debit card. If there's tickets available, you can always choose to have them sent as etickets AFAIK. Seems by far the easiest option to me, you don't risk having to queue at a machine or at the guichet and you don't even have to compost them (I never get the blasted thing in the right way round). But you do have to take ID with you for the ticket inspector to check. (I guess to stop you printing off multiple tickets and giving them to all your friends and relatives!)
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I always use http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ and always get etickets, and I have in the past paid with a UK debit card. If there's tickets available, you can always choose to have them sent as etickets AFAIK. Seems by far the easiest option to me, you don't risk having to queue at a machine or at the guichet and you don't even have to compost them (I never get the blasted thing in the right way round). But you do have to take ID with you for the ticket inspector to check. (I guess to stop you printing off multiple tickets and giving them to all your friends and relatives!)
Same here.

Your name is printed on the eTicket so you need to have ID for the inspector to check against.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

I am increasingly fed-up with SNCF and their ticketing arrangements. If we book on line we can't really choose our seats. I simply can't travel facing the wrong way. If we go into our "sation"( no railway line but a helpful person) we are often told that they can't tell which way the trains will be configured so they can't be sure that we will have front facing seats and the two facing each other seats are always booked from Marseilles, so no chance of anyone getting on in Avignon to get one.

E tickets - what chance if you don't have a clever phone? Absolutely no point for us because we have no signal where we live.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:46 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
I am increasingly fed-up with SNCF and their ticketing arrangements. If we book on line we can't really choose our seats. I simply can't travel facing the wrong way. If we go into our "sation"( no railway line but a helpful person) we are often told that they can't tell which way the trains will be configured so they can't be sure that we will have front facing seats and the two facing each other seats are always booked from Marseilles, so no chance of anyone getting on in Avignon to get one.
You can choose seats on-line or at a station, but there's no knowing in advance which way the carriage is facing. Can't you negotiate with the other passengers? It doesn't bother me which way I'm facing and I can't be the only one who would change places if you asked! As long as you've got a valid ticket, the Contrôleur doesn't care who sits where...
P.S. forgot to say that AFAIK you don't need a smart phone for e-tickets.

Last edited by dmu; Nov 24th 2013 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

E tickets - what chance if you don't have a clever phone? Absolutely no point for us because we have no signal where we live.
Grannybunz you've baffled me with most of that.

I don't see the connection between smartphones and etickets? If you book online on your computer you can opt to receive your ticket as an eticket. They send you it by email and you print it off.

I believe there is also an option called an M-billlet which is a Smartphone app, but AFAIK that hasn't been mentioned on this thread - or did the OP actually mean M-billets and are some of us including me rambling on about the wrong thing entirely?

I'm sure there is an option to choose your seats online, though I never do, and I assumed you choose which way you faced - otherwise what's the point - but could be wrong. Not sure whether it might cost an extra euro or so.

AFAIK it's first come first served, so if you book well ahead before the Marseilles lot get in, you will get your choice of seat.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 7:12 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

http://help.en.voyages-sncf.com/en/f...ting-positions

On a Intercités de jour (booking mandatory), you can book a seat facing the direction of travel. These seats can be booked, subject to availability, on most Intercités de jour routes except between Marseille and Nice and Narbonne and Cerbère.
It's obviously an issue on that route that Sncf need to deal with but it's hardly rocket science to work out what direction a train is going.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

We tried the on-line booking twice last year. Thought we had done everything correctly but it just didn't work and when we got on the train we were actually sitting on either side of the aisle and facing the wrong direction.

The train was almost full and we only saw a conductor until Lyon at which point all we got was a shrug. We were going all the way to Rennes we eventually got to swap with others who were in similar positions eg a family of five who were scattered up and down the carriage.

We have been travelling by train with our senior cards for years and have never until the last two or three years encountered problems.

I am quite sure it is not senility because a neighbour with 2 kids found themsleves in different carriages when booking online to Paris and only managed to fix it by going to the station - it couldn't be changed on-line.

Sorry to sound pathetic but I simply have to face in the direction of travel or I feel awful.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and when we got on the train we were actually sitting on either side of the aisle and facing the wrong direction.
But when you choose your seats, the numbers and location are displayed on-screen, with "fenêtre" or "couloir" clearly marked, so it shouldn't be a surprize...
I agree that it's pot-luck as to which direction you'll be facing, but still recommend negotiating with fellow passengers right from the start, even if it means being separated for the whole journey.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

@GB, if it's of any interest, I've just been to Paris and back from Béziers and, each time, all the seats in my carriage (except of course the 4 "club" (?) seats) were facing forward! Better luck for you next time!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Were you travelling first class?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Were you travelling first class?
No, second class. Have you been speaking about 1st class in this thread? I sometimes take 1st class seats if they aren't much more expensive than 2nd class (with Carte Sénior)...
As a matter of interest, are e-tickets reimbursable or exchangeable?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

What are the benefits of carte senior ?

How long does it last and how often do you need to use it to make it worth while

Is it like the UK Senior Railcard where there is a discount even on the cheap advanced tickets. or is it like the National Express Card where the cheaper fares are excluded ?

Does it have to be sent to an address in France or can it be purchased at a railway station?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.