Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Small town recommendations

Small town recommendations

Old Dec 27th 2013, 3:00 pm
edp
Forum Regular

edp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really nice
Default Small town recommendations

I am looking to relocate to France in the next couple of years. I am an IT consultant so not looking to work, per se, in France. I speak French having studied the language at University and worked with it for more or less 10 years and lived for a year near Bordeaux. I have friends in the Agen area but would like to find something a bit more 'charming'. The Dordogne seems too English so I am looking in the areas of Brive up to and including Correze, Millau, Rodez, Cahors. I am looking for a small town with a good community feeling, a little bit historic, cultural opportunities as I am also a musician and not crazy expensive prices.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small town recommendations

Hi
I refer back to your previous posts about moving to France [July 2013 - I think]
If your only home is in France then you are tax resident in France and it is your obligation to complete a tax return. Failure to do so can result in large penalties.
You previously spoke of working cash-in-hand. The black economy does exist in France but they are better at policing it than in the UK, for example.
The poverty level in France is around 14,000€ and if you earn under this then you may be entitled to claim State benefits.
In addition, if you are legally resident in France and employed and paying social charges then you will be covered by the French health system. If not then you will need to be declared resident for 5 years to be eligible.
All it would take is an accident or mishap where you end up in hospital and you would be up s**t creek.
You may of course carry some health benefit from Sweden for a period of time.
I apologise for not sticking to the subject of your post but the thought of someone trying to play fast and loose with a system they don't understand is a bit scary.
Good luck
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

If you work in France, you must be registered either as an Auto-Entrepreneur or set up another type of business structure. You can't risk working au noir, you'll eventually be found out...
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edp
I am an IT consultant so not looking to work, per se, in France.
As cyrian and dmu have reminded you, if you're an IT consultant and you live in France and you work, the fisc will decide on their own per se's. If you're going to earn an income, you'd need to build this into your plans to become legally resident. The French system is surprisingly joined up in some ways - your household income and its sources is closely interlinked with your healthcare entitlement and your property tax, and if you try to hide one of the pieces of the jigsaw it will soon be noticed because the other pieces won't fit into place properly.

To get back to your question, Hérault has history, culture, nice feel to the place generally, and not stupid prices.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
To get back to your question, Hérault has history, culture, nice feel to the place generally, and not stupid prices.
If the OP needs a good internet connection, then the north of the Hérault should be avoided, likewise Millau which is probably no better, being surrounded by the high Causses.