Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Size of standard doors and frames?

Size of standard doors and frames?

Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

xianharbin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Size of standard doors and frames?

Hi the group , not sure if this is the right part of the site to post questions but does any one know what constitutes a standard door and frame opening?
I have tried asking the question on google but got about twenty different sizes!!! I wish to cut/knock a hole through a wall and it would be handy to have an idea of what I am doing
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:24 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: doors and frames

I'm assuming you are referring to doors and frames in French houses?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sue, yes Levroux is in FranceI take it you are a Brit living in the land of Satan and are of course missing the english humour!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xianharbin
Hi Sue, yes Levroux is in FranceI take it you are a Brit living in the land of Satan and are of course missing the english humour!
Because you had posted this in the Introductions section, I wanted to move it to you to the best section, but wanted to check it was France you were referring to .... would have been a tad confusing if I had moved the thread to our Canada section for instance

I get my daily fix of Brit humour on BE ... its one of the reasons why I've been hanging around the hallways here for the past 13 years. Never a dull day here
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Size of standard doors and frames?

Hi again Sue thank you for your reply, okay so I am not on the right part of the site, please point me in the right direction (no need to send a drone )
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I wish to cut/knock a hole through a wall and it would be handy to have an idea of what I am doing
OMG yes I agree wholeheartedly with that - could be dangerous otherwise !!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi EuroTrash, yep not looking for any danger, its a old house 15" to18" thick stone walls and I figure if I know the size of the frame I will not need to make too many more mistakes
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a stupid suggestion but - why not go and choose a door and frame, and then make a hole to fit?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi again EuroTrash, not a stupid suggestion at all but me being british and used to everything being British standard with a kite mark to prove it (what) I somewhat foolishly thought that the French would have some sort of system in place
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

There probably is, given the French passion for standardisation and bureaucracy but probably only applies to new builds anyway. Take ET's advice and go buy a door/frame (they always come as a matched set) and make your hole to suit what you've bought. It is easy enough to go to a Brico website and see what door sizes are being sold. That should give you a rough idea without leaving the comfort of your PC.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi White Trash thank you for your input, are you by the way of an aside related to EuroTrash?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi White Trash thank you for your input, are you by the way of an aside related to EuroTrash?
Not that I know of !
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:08 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than buy, why not go to your local Brico and take a tape and measure some doors. Frames can be flexible, but perhaps a neighbour will let you see theirs! Check out wood and sizes. Your wall hole can be reduced/expanded depending on what you discover. Good luck from an amateur
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Measure twice, cut once.

What sort of idiot would cut a gaping gap and then look for something to fit it?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Measure twice, cut once.

What sort of idiot would cut a gaping gap and then look for something to fit it?
The French mother-in-law..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.