Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Short trip to Paris. Need help with hotel and itinerary please.

Short trip to Paris. Need help with hotel and itinerary please.

Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:06 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short trip to Paris. Need help with hotel and itinerary please.

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help to plan an itinerary please.

My 19 year old son and his Australian girlfriend are taking in a trip to Paris mid September.

The girlfriend has made a list of places she wants to see. These include Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, the Louvre, the Catacombes and the Pere-Lachaise Cemetry.
They will also spend the day at Disneyland.

They were planning on staying for 4 or 5 nights. Is this do-able?
Can you help us to plan an itinerary as we don't really know the distances between each of these places.
And do you know of a decent 2* or 3* hotel they could stay in.
Also, (last question for now) what is the easiest way to get out to Disneyland? (I went there once on the metro and got hopelessly lost )

Thank you.

Julie. x
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short trip to Paris. Need help with hotel and itinerary please.

Transport is efficient and easy, so they can do everything on their plan, although I was told if you spent 1 minute at every painting in the Louvre it would take you 3 months to get around.
I took the RER to Chessy when I went to Euro Disney - very easy. When you exit Euro Disney the train station is right outside the entrance, so it's easy to get back into Paris.

Get them to print a plan of Pere Lachaise cemetery before they go, otherwise they'll never find what they had an interest in (most English speaking tourists seek out Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde - Jim's grave is a tough one to find, especially without a map!)

Unfortunately I haven't a clue when it comes to Paris hotels, although others have helped in the past with this.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help to plan an itinerary please.

My 19 year old son and his Australian girlfriend are taking in a trip to Paris mid September.

The girlfriend has made a list of places she wants to see. These include Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, the Louvre, the Catacombes and the Pere-Lachaise Cemetry.
They will also spend the day at Disneyland.

They were planning on staying for 4 or 5 nights. Is this do-able?
Can you help us to plan an itinerary as we don't really know the distances between each of these places.
And do you know of a decent 2* or 3* hotel they could stay in.
Also, (last question for now) what is the easiest way to get out to Disneyland? (I went there once on the metro and got hopelessly lost )

Thank you.

Julie. x

Hi Julie,
our son did the same thing last year with his Canadian girlfriend.
Are you in UK at the moment? If so, check out opodo as they got a good deal there for their hotel - I also use Opodo more than Expedia etc. as I find their deals better
http://www.opodo.co.uk/

Otherwise, different hotel chains such as Ibis would be worth looking at for accommodation
http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

Getting around Paris is easy, lots of options, and they will easily get to see all of the above attractions you mentioned. We've found one of the best ways of sightseeing in Paris, is the open top bus as you can hop on and off at the different venues
http://www.pariscityrama.com/visit-p...ur/25A195.html
There is also the option of a boat trip along the Seine using the Batobus, which has a 2 day ticket for around 13 euros

http://www.batobus.com/english/index.htm

there is also a great bike system too that they could use if they feel brave enough!
http://www.en.velib.paris.fr/comment_ca_marche

have also found the Paris Tourist Office helpful

http://en.parisinfo.com/

Getting to EuroDisney using the RER is not too difficult - directions here

http://parisbytrain.com/rer-train-paris-to-euro-disney/
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice from Val. I forgot to add, I'm sure your son and girlfriend are savvy with their wits about them. There's a few scam artists who like to frequent the tourist attractions. Warn them if somebody tries to claim they might of dropped a gold ring that they're being played. Also don't let any young African's try and wrap a piece of string round their finger to make a bracelet, because they'll try and ask for some obscene price for it. Also if you see a group of young Eastern-bloc children hanging around on the metro, make sure they keep their bags in front of them and your wallets in firm grasp - I witnessed a theft myself a month or two back by kids under 10 years old. Paris is a pretty safe city, but like any city it pays to be a tiny bit vigilant.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
Val has said all, but Sue1964 was asking more or less the same questions recently, so make a search for her thread on the subject for more details.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:56 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

This was my reply not so long ago to a similar question...

Enjoy Paris you lucky thing!!!

Originally Posted by Matewx
Let me add my bit...

Being a hotel Manager, Francais & from Paris I thought I could help...

Am an Accor person as they (we?) provide for every budget & needs.

I would stay away from Formule1's now called F1 - Bad location & too cheap/basic (shag pod in my opinion)

Ibis, I recommend Ibis Tour Eiffel. While it's still 5min on the metro from TE itself, it's by Cambronne Station on Ligne6. Very good location & very safe at night.

All Seasons is a new product which I love... Small (usually) boutique type hotel... They are either ex Ibis or Mercures. My preferred one is by Place de la Republique or Gare de l'Est. The good thing with all seasons is that breakfast is included (buffet eat as much as you want) as well as free wifi. Usually small hotels, no restaurant (just b'fast)

Novotel if your budget allows it... In which case I'd go for Gare Montparnasse or Les Halles... Actually Les Halles first... But they are more expensive...

You also have Mercure hotels - Not my cup of tea (Although I fly their colours at present!! LOL)

Or Sofitel... A Very different WORLD...

Remember to sign for Velib' & enjoy cycling around & getting lost... The best in discovering the real Paris!! A much better alternative to the Metro!!

Hope this helps... (And that all my links are working!!)
Have noticed that some of my links are f'ed up... Can't be a'ed to fix 'em... Let me know if you ned ANYTHING 7 I'll get back

Last edited by Matewx; Aug 18th 2009 at 9:58 pm. Reason: Links are f'ed up... :( Soz
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:17 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your help everybody. You've given me loads of useful info.
Think I will be spending my day sorting all this out for my son

Julie. x