Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Shipping a puppy

Wikiposts

Shipping a puppy

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 1:03 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a puppy

Originally Posted by Bonnet
Well the pups were born on 16 April and I have been in touch with the breeder.

I told him I was considering using a pet transport company and he got rather agitated.

Because he much prefers to put a completely unvaccinated puppy into a car and take it anywhere across Europe because the borders are open. Vaccination law is "bureauocratic" and unnecessary he said.

I was astonished. I wonder how many other Baltic breeders are doing this??

Needless to say I withdrew my offer to buy and will be contacting the FCI.
I don't think Croatia is a Schengen country yet? So, not quite open borders and when I went 2 years ago, they were being very fussy about checking cars/passports etc at the border. But yes, report the bugger.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Baltic?
In any case you did well to speak about transport straight away, and I pity the breeder's poor puppies....
Oh floot...yes Balkans.

PF he mentioned he gets them out via Slovenia. We didn't discuss details.

I do know of a French citizen smuggling a Border Collie out of Dover in the back of a car under a blanket some years ago. I happened to have offered to do the negotiating for him and was horrified I might have had to negotiate with Border Control about a drugged dog!!

FCI says I have to speak with the Croatian Kennel Club. I wonder if the breeder is a member...? Watch this space.

All such a surprise as I recognise the names of some of the previous owners of his breeding pair as being straight up.

Last edited by Bonnet; Apr 22nd 2015 at 2:01 am.
Old May 28th 2015, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

starynightsky is an unknown quantity at this point

To answer a few of the questions.

If the puppy was to travel younger than the age of 15 weeks he would have to do so in isolation as he would not be correctly vaccinated. Each country has different laws as to whether or not they will allow puppies younger than this to enter or pass through. The UK will not.

Can a puppy be vaccinated at 8 weeks?

Yes but it will be a complete waste of time. Here is why, puppies will still carry maternal anitbodies from their mother which will block the vaccine and stop it from having the desired affect.

If the puppy were to be transporter /legally / illegally across border then it would HAVE to be a dedicated trip by the owner / breeder or a TYPE 2 Licenced Transporter. To be honest there is a whole load of grey aree / illegality and moral issues transporting at less than 15 weeks (fully vaccinated age). Air transport, again I doubt you will find any airline to move the pet at less than 15 weeks. International air transport normally requires older than this.

To the original poster who didn't ask much of the above

Road transport vs air.

Road is less stressful, Air is sometimes quicker.
Road will normally be cheaper, Air more expensive.

Road transport if you can find a FRENCH EC TYPE 2 transporter, ball park for a dedicated trip 600-1200€ anywhere in there.

Air transport if you can find an airline that will fly at that age 100 -1200€

The best thing to do is google flights from CROATIA to FRANCE, see which airline operate and then contact the individual airline to ascertain their regulations, costs etc.

Alternatively consider the drive yourself. It is a good days drive if you start early and you will want a hotel ready at the other end to fall into bed

Hope that was of some help

Paul
Old May 28th 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the detail Paul.

As it is I have managed to recover this pup's great great grandfather who used to be mine and who is now 14, a forgotten, thin, filthy matted dog sitting in a hangar all day. The owner gave him to me and he has been with me for 9 days now, clean, active and putting on weight...and remembering how to be affectionate again. I only hope he remembers who I am after 10 years.

It never ceases to amaze me how off hand, cold and ill informed some farmers are about dogs. They are usually older men but it isn't uncommon. I will ever sell another dog again over my dead body.
Old May 30th 2015, 9:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnet
\
As it is I have managed to recover this pup's great great grandfather who used to be mine and who is now 14,
It never ceases to amaze me how off hand, cold and ill informed some farmers are about dogs. They are usually older men but it isn't uncommon. I will ever sell another dog again over my dead body.
Ah, a 14 yr old Border Collie. Now, what does that remind me of?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...thread-801127/

Damn you Bonnet.
Old May 30th 2015, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah, a 14 yr old Border Collie. Now, what does that remind me of?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...thread-801127/

Damn you Bonnet.
Thanks for the link. As it was on the Canada/Maple-leaf forum, I missed that first time round. Regardless of the time since, sorry to hear of that loss.
Old May 30th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Novo it is always a hit to lose a dog, especially if you have a long bond with him/her. I lost my 17 year old bitch just over a year ago and I had worked and lived with her for 13 years. We could almost read each other's minds. I had to make the decision but I knew she wasn't happy, having always been proud and self contained she knew she was becoming incontinent and she lost the use of one of her legs while being blind and deaf. I have always tried to do what is best for the dog even if it meant extra problems for me so I had to let her go. It took three injections for her to go to sleep.
I think if you know you have made an animal's life good then you could do no more and while it doesn't help initially and the loss is always there, your friendship and connection with him/her will remain. I think of the days we spent trialling or working or walking or her grin when I tickled her tummy...I promised her we would always be together and we are...in my garden and in my head.
Old May 31st 2015, 2:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both. It was just the coincidence of breed and age which brought back "unwanted" memories.