Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Selling uninhabitable house

Selling uninhabitable house

Old May 4th 2023, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Coolharbour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling uninhabitable house

Does any body know what procedure is and what reports, if any, are necessary to proceed with a sale ?
thanks
Old May 5th 2023, 6:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling uninhabitable house

Originally Posted by Coolharbour
Does any body know what procedure is and what reports, if any, are necessary to proceed with a sale ?
thanks
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Can you go into more details? Are you the owner of the house, what was the procedure when you acquired it? In what way is it uninhabitable? Is it a ruin on agricultural land? not connected to mains water or electricity?
FWIW, we bought a half-ruined bergerie (no water, no electricity) on agricultural land several decades ago before the present reports existed. OH renovated it over the years and when we decided to sell, the only report was the negative one on the corrugated asbestos roof (which wasn't prohibited at the time). The buyers didn't intend to demolish it, tiles and all, and the fact just stayed in the file....
If the house is on land classified as agricultural, then it has to be offered to all the local farmers before being able to be sold to private individuals. This procedure takes about 3 months....
Your Mairie and local Estate Agents will know the present rules and regulations.
HTH
Old May 5th 2023, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Hi, and thank you very much for informative reply.
The house is a mid terrace village house. It is structurally sound but needs complete refurbishment and renovation including a kitchen and bathroom/s. I own the adjoining house and had intended to have the subject house renovated but circumstances have changed and now intend to dispose of both properties. The Maire are aware it is unoccupied and I do not pay property taxes on it.
Am aware of reports required for the habitable house but was hoping that these would not be necessary in relation to the other.
Properties are located in a village not far from Carcassonne. I am resident in Malta and usually fly into Toulouse.
Will contact Maire and agents when next in France.
Have found French estate agents very unprofessional in the past - was hoping things had changed but looking at recent posts apparently not ; ((
thanks again for your help
Old May 7th 2023, 7:30 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coolharbour
Hi, and thank you very much for informative reply.
The house is a mid terrace village house. It is structurally sound but needs complete refurbishment and renovation including a kitchen and bathroom/s. I own the adjoining house and had intended to have the subject house renovated but circumstances have changed and now intend to dispose of both properties. The Maire are aware it is unoccupied and I do not pay property taxes on it.
Am aware of reports required for the habitable house but was hoping that these would not be necessary in relation to the other.
Properties are located in a village not far from Carcassonne. I am resident in Malta and usually fly into Toulouse.
Will contact Maire and agents when next in France.
Have found French estate agents very unprofessional in the past - was hoping things had changed but looking at recent posts apparently not ; ((
thanks again for your help
There are two types of property taxes : "Taxe d'Habitation" which is levied on the property which is occupied, and which has gradually been phased out, and "Taxe Foncière" for all property owned. AFAIK all property owners must pay the Foncière, we certainly did for our uninhabitable bergerie....
Does your village house have a fosse septique? Is it connected to the mains and electricity? All this is included in the Diagnostic immobilier and I would imagine that it's all the more important to check everything in an "uninhabitable" house.
HTH
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/N20591
Old May 9th 2023, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice,

No fosse septique, no bathroom but there is water supply and an old fashioned sink which drains into town drains. I pay water charges for meter and any water used.
No permanent electricity supply. I own adjoining house and can arrange temporary supply if required. Pay both taxes on habitable house but pretty sure I haven’t received any demands for uninhabitable house. Will check again when I get back in June. As far as I’m aware all relevant taxes are paid up to date.

Will check link provided.

thanks again