Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Self Sufficiency living

Self Sufficiency living

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:37 am
Just Joined

nahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant future
Default Self Sufficiency living

Hi

Were looking into moving to France we would like to buy a property with some land and which is rural, but is pretty close to a town so we can get our supplies whilst we are getting our self sufficiency living up and running.

Are you allowed to live in a bus or caravan on the site whilst you are restoring a property?? if you buy a old property what is the rules like are they very strict do you have to get planning permission?? Also if you buy a site with no buildings already there are you allowed to put up a building without planning permission??

Also what are the main bills to expect do you have to pay council tax or equivalent??

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated

Thanks

Nicola
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:53 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Sufficiency living

Originally Posted by nahb
Hi

Were looking into moving to France we would like to buy a property with some land and which is rural, but is pretty close to a town so we can get our supplies whilst we are getting our self sufficiency living up and running.

Are you allowed to live in a bus or caravan on the site whilst you are restoring a property?? if you buy a old property what is the rules like are they very strict do you have to get planning permission?? Also if you buy a site with no buildings already there are you allowed to put up a building without planning permission??

Also what are the main bills to expect do you have to pay council tax or equivalent??

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated

Thanks

Nicola
Ariege is going to be right up your street

Caravan yes with stipulations, Bus will not go down very well. Depending on how knackered the property you plan to restore is will define the requirements to contact the DDE and marie for permission. If the previous owner has had its Tax Status changed to ruin to avoid Tax Payment depending on the helpfulness of you local Impots office may make it possible to avoid the CU and DDE for planning consent. We backed payed the impots duty on our house bring back the habitable status of the house, this then gave us the opportunity to restore anything under the existing roofline so long as we didn't add any Sqr Mtrs to the house in habitable space.

But and this is the sting in the tail you will need consent for any new Fosse Septic.

Bills

Tax d habitation - Pays for bin emptying street lights that sort of thing, This is usually cheaper in rural zones.

Tax fonciere - Land house that sort of tax More you have the more you pay

Water New connection are always 1300 euros plus even if the pipe is right next to the house>

Electricity EDF - New connections have to be delt with by your local Maries and they pay the bill for connection you then pay normal bills.

Mutuelle Santé - This is to compliment you medical cover to avoid any bills.

We have had numerous threads on the cost of living in France, The costs vary depending on were you live. Not including rents or mortgages i believe we gauged on a monthly basis if you are a tight arse that will work the land and has time 1500 euros will do a month were as a towny needs more like 2500 euros a month, Prices are up here in a big way in the 7 years we have been here I would say our monthly budget needs have double, But we did gain another child.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Sep 23rd 2009 at 11:07 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

nahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant futurenahb has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Self Sufficiency living

Thanks for that, some very helpful advice.

We were hoping to try and get off the grid and out the capital system, but it seems that you can't escape any taxes/bills where ever.

Yes, food and everything has gone up in the UK.

Thanks again for your thread

Nicola
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:43 pm

We were hoping to try and get off the grid and out the capital system, but it seems that you can't escape any taxes/bills where ever.

Nicola

Your welcome
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:29 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Nicola
France is really no different from anywhere in the world. It's also impossible in the real world to be totally self sufficient
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
France is really no different from anywhere in the world. It's also impossible in the real world to be totally self sufficient
In regards to living a Greener not totally dependent on the outside world sort of life France is the best place to live in Europe.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:20 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
. . . But we did gain another child.
hmmm . . do you know where it came from?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:25 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

In regards to living a Greener not totally dependent on the outside world sort of life France is the best place to live in Europe.
Am inclined to agree, but most people go to France with completely unrealistic expectations and end up disappointed
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:21 pm

Am inclined to agree, but most people go to France with completely unrealistic expectations and end up disappointed
Well its a get out what you put in, I have seen and worked with people that for want of a better word "Were totally off the Grid". In that lifestyle which is achievable every meal going to bed comfortably involves work. No easy on and off-able solutions. Me I am a mix of cultures, And enjoy the best of what varying lifestyles have to offer. Typing away on the skinternet does not allow anyone to develop an immediate face to face opinion about some one, So you have to give them the benefit of doubt first. Here in Ariege they are quite a few people that are 100 percent off the grid and get a lot of publicity due to it.

There was life before the Television and Electricity, And in a distant far away galaxy even the combustion engine is a myth

Originally Posted by analyst
hmmm . . do you know where it came from?
Regrettably I do, A Black Hole opened up and out it popped, I tried pushing it back but a couple of Midwives seemed to object.

At least its not a Ginger Top.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Sep 23rd 2009 at 5:27 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:29 pm
Banned

Regrettably I do, A Black Hole opened up and out it popped, I tried pushing it back but a couple of Midwives seemed to object.

At least its not a Ginger Top.
All the main supermarkets do a money back guarantee nowadays.....

.[/QUOTE]
At least its not a Ginger Top.[/QUOTE]

That's discrimination
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:30 pm
Banned

.[/QUOTE]
At least its not a Ginger Top.[/QUOTE]

Or should it have been Poil de Carotte??? That's my current French homework!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:40 pm

That's discrimination
If your going to be a discriminatory kind of person I believe Ginger Tops is the best place to start, Just something not quite right
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Nicola
There are places in the world and even in "broad" Europe where you can still do that - but not in France!

Trouble is, it's very tough to find a place like that in any "civilised" country with lawful/administrative infrastructure where you are also intrinsically safe from molestation by (to say the least) "unruly elements" -which is a very important factor!

As a child, I knew an old hermit on Dartmoor who was completely autonomous - grew his own veggies, fruit and hunted the odd rabbit with catapault, etc. - in the old days (late 40s/early50s) when we went there every summer to get away from the wakes week crowds in Torquay.. a proper old "character" and a mine of country knowledge, but there are hardly any left these days anywhere who can exist "outside" - and as soon as you start using things like banks and shops anywhere, sooner or later you'll get caught in the administrative "mill". As France happens to be one of the most administered countries in the EU, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Now rural Portugal just may be possible - but really rural - near the Spanish border in the centre of the Iberian peninsula - but even they are now caught in the EU web. I also (not joking!) saw once a habitable cave (nicely renovated) in the interior of Teneriffe where you could also be pretty safe and unbothered, but at least 50km from the nearest shop of any kind and the "roads" up there would probably demand a track vehicule or donkey!!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Roger O
There are places in the world and even in "broad" Europe where you can still do that - but not in France!

Trouble is, it's very tough to find a place like that in any "civilised" country with lawful/administrative infrastructure where you are also intrinsically safe from molestation by (to say the least) "unruly elements" -which is a very important factor!

As a child, I knew an old hermit on Dartmoor who was completely autonomous - grew his own veggies, fruit and hunted the odd rabbit with catapault, etc. - in the old days (late 40s/early50s) when we went there every summer to get away from the wakes week crowds in Torquay.. a proper old "character" and a mine of country knowledge, but there are hardly any left these days anywhere who can exist "outside" - and as soon as you start using things like banks and shops anywhere, sooner or later you'll get caught in the administrative "mill". As France happens to be one of the most administered countries in the EU, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Now rural Portugal just may be possible - but really rural - near the Spanish border in the centre of the Iberian peninsula - but even they are now caught in the EU web. I also (not joking!) saw once a habitable cave (nicely renovated) in the interior of Teneriffe where you could also be pretty safe and unbothered, but at least 50km from the nearest shop of any kind and the "roads" up there would probably demand a track vehicule or donkey!!
Being that your in Aude just off from the retirement capital you should come look at some of the Alternative Lifestyles that are being led by people in your neighboring department, Now being self sufficient has never excluded the use of donkeys horses and even dogs. But right next door in the mountains living a life that wont agree with you are people doing that.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

My French father-in-law lives on 200 euros a month out in the countryside, and is largely self-sufficient. They did spend on an eco-house, grows his own food and makes his own wine. His wife covers the taxes though. Now, I don't know if it's his character, or living on 200 euros a month (he retired at 50), but a pleasant, content and happy man he is not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.