Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Seeking fellow artists

Seeking fellow artists

Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking fellow artists

If there are any other artists out there that can make a living out of their art here in France, I'd love to hear from you. Perhaps we can exchange some tips and discuss the trials and tribulations!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Seeking fellow artists

Originally Posted by herbie
If there are any other artists out there that can make a living out of their art here in France, I'd love to hear from you. Perhaps we can exchange some tips and discuss the trials and tribulations!
There are obviously not very many creative souls out there!! I'm beginning to feel lonely...
Old Apr 8th 2007, 7:49 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

There are obviously not very many creative souls out there!! I'm beginning to feel lonely...
A good hot spot for artists is ariege and haute garrone below toulouse around here every other person is an artist. but i guess they dont use the internet.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
A good hot spot for artists is ariege and haute garrone below toulouse around here every other person is an artist. but i guess they dont use the internet.
Yeah, they do, but just not expat sites by the look of things! I'm a member on several art sites but am yet to find an expat in France on one of them! It would just be nice to meet an english speaking artist nearby. My French isn't bad, but english is definitely my preferred language.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:25 am

Yeah, they do, but just not expat sites by the look of things! I'm a member on several art sites but am yet to find an expat in France on one of them! It would just be nice to meet an english speaking artist nearby. My French isn't bad, but english is definitely my preferred language.
tell me about it
Old May 5th 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Ann Jessica is an unknown quantity at this point

Confirm that Ariege is the place to meet fellow artists of differing nationalities.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ann Jessica
Confirm that Ariege is the place to meet fellow artists of differing nationalities.
But sadly, I'm not there...
Old May 5th 2007, 5:34 pm

But sadly, I'm not there...
Well move then. i guess i could be considered an artist but after a couple of pints its more of a bull €€€€ artist
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

I'm an artist who has sold work in England but not yet here in France. I notice, however, that there is a French guy in Brantôme who has a shop and clearly makes his living from a rather repetitive painting style.

I'm still sorting out my place. I have an atelier for doing stained glass work and I plan to convert my grenier to a gallery/ art classroom.

I live in Perigord Vert.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
I'm an artist who has sold work in England but not yet here in France. I notice, however, that there is a French guy in Brantôme who has a shop and clearly makes his living from a rather repetitive painting style.

I'm still sorting out my place. I have an atelier for doing stained glass work and I plan to convert my grenier to a gallery/ art classroom.

I live in Perigord Vert.
Hi O. I think the artist you talk of has probably found what French people like. I went round all the galleries in Toulouse and nearly each one sold similar stuff. Mostly oil landscapes or brightly coloured abstracts and all very shiny! Just about as far away from what I do as you can get. The only paintings I sell here are to foreigners. I think my stuff is just too unique. The French do like it, I've won competitions but they're just not brave enough to dip in their pockets. I'm in the process of moving and also intend to give classes of some kind to supplement my income. I think it's the only way quite frankly. I also have an agent in the UK but she's been a little slow on the uptake and I can't live of what she throws my way, partly because of the extortionate fees I end up paying.

Have you registered with Maison d'Artistes yet? If so, I'd love to know the procedure as myself and my partner will need to register once we've moved.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

I really enjoyed your website. I love the artichoke. If I wasn't careful I'd end up buying everyone else's work like Degas did - and he nearly bankrupted himself! If your agent isn't pulling in the biz dump him or her or get them to work on a commission basis only. Your work's too good.
I haven't got a website. I have been driven demented by just getting the internet to work in this remote spot. I just have to accept that I can't communicate as well electronically as I used to.
Where are you moving to?
Marketing doesn't seem to have much structure in France which makes it hard to market our work. I'm chasing a couple of stained glass commissions but am coming up against needing a SIRET number, an expensive business if the commissions don't ensue.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

I really enjoyed your website. I love the artichoke. If I wasn't careful I'd end up buying everyone else's work like Degas did - and he nearly bankrupted himself! If your agent isn't pulling in the biz dump him or her or get them to work on a commission basis only. Your work's too good.
I haven't got a website. I have been driven demented by just getting the internet to work in this remote spot. I just have to accept that I can't communicate as well electronically as I used to.
Where are you moving to?
Marketing doesn't seem to have much structure in France which makes it hard to market our work. I'm chasing a couple of stained glass commissions but am coming up against needing a SIRET number, an expensive business if the commissions don't ensue.
Thanks O, glad you had a look. Artichoke is one of my favourites. It was an experiment that worked really well. I'm no longer paying my Agent a fee as she just didn't really pull her weight, felt quite cheated by her really, but I told her that she could continue on a commission only basis which she is now doing. At the time I felt I really needed an Agent because I didn't have the confidence to put my work forward myself. I feel much better about doing this now.

I'm guessing you do not have broadband where you are. That's a real pain. Unbelievable, where we are moving (15kms from Pontaumur in Puy de Dome) we will have broadband. This was a necessity for us because my partner is a website designer, hence my website! If you could get it to work better and have a website, it is a great way to get yourself known. I'm registered with many different sites. If you google my name, you'll see page after page!

You could get a Siret no. if you register with Maison d'Artistes. As far as I've been able to find out, you can earn up to 6000 euros before you pay any cotisations and there is no payment for registering. Artists have quite a few concessions in France and you should not be afraid of registering. Bear in mind that that is 6000 sales, not profit. They have a website you could have a look at. I'm not sure how good your French is.

I thought I would have difficulties in marketing myself and didn't do so because I would be asked for a Siret no. I recently approached the Tourist Board at Monesties (Aveyron) and through them, I rented an old Moulin for the last 2 weeks in August at minimal cost. I will be exhibiting on my own there. It's quite a well publicised event and I was not asked for a Siret no. You can only register with Maison d'Artistes when you send out your first bill so it's quite feasible that when you start out that you have not yet made any sales.

I've yet to register myself and my partner but wanted to wait until we moved because it would be simpler rather than have to change address again etc. When I have more information, I'll post it here.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks that's really helpful information. My French is pretty good but I'm a slow reader -get frustrated at not being able to skim read like I did in English!
Some of my pictures are up in the guest bedrooms at the local Auberge on a sale or return basis.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks that's really helpful information. My French is pretty good but I'm a slow reader -get frustrated at not being able to skim read like I did in English!
Some of my pictures are up in the guest bedrooms at the local Auberge on a sale or return basis.
Try and get them in a local restaurant or bar. You get more public going through. I find that most people who are on holiday do not wish to cart back a painting back with them. Not unless they've driven here and have space. They tend to also only like things that remind them of their holiday, like sunflowers or still lives of wine bottles or grapes.