Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Searching for my Uncle

Searching for my Uncle

Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Rubyraesmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Searching for my Uncle

Hi, I am trying to trace my Uncle and Aunt who moved to France some years ago. They have moved on from the last address and phone number we had for them.
Their names are Bobby (Robert) and Pauline Thomas, my mum is not sure on his year of birth but its the 5th October around 1953.
They were last known (3-4 years ago) to be running and bed and breakfast in Montignac in Bougneau and all we know is that they was moving on to somewhere bigger.
I have tried facebook, google, French version of yellow pages but with such a common name it seems impossible.
Does anyone recognise the names?
Does anyone have any other suggestions to try and find them? I maybe thought of the French version of companies house as they will probably be running a business.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated as my mum is getting on now and would like to get back in touch with her little brother.

Thanks x
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Searching for my Uncle

I guess you could try the Marie at Montignac ? They may be able to put you in touch with ex neighbours or even the local tax office or post office, who most certainly would know though they may not wish to pass on the information. Do you speak/write French?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Rubyraesmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Grannybunz,
What is the Marie? I do not speak or write French am relying on work colleagues to translate when possible.
I thought of checking electoral registers but cannot find out anything about if France keep these, all very frustrating.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, France is very transparent about businesses, every business has to be registered and all the information is freely available.
If you get your French speaking friend to help you, there are various searches you can do. I tried a few but couldn't see anyone possible.
https://www.infogreffe.fr/societes/r...ntreprise.html

PS the mairie (it has two i's in it, otherwise it's a girl's name) is the town hall.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Hi, France is very transparent about businesses, every business has to be registered and all the information is freely available.
If you get your French speaking friend to help you, there are various searches you can do. I tried a few but couldn't see anyone possible.
https://www.infogreffe.fr/societes/r...ntreprise.html

PS the mairie (it has two i's in it, otherwise it's a girl's name) is the town hall.
Sorry didn't have my glasses on and i can't touch type!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 6:34 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to make excuses to these young pups, Gran.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Had another thought, as one does. How about contacting them here?

The Connexion - The Newspaper for English-Speakers in France

They may well be interested in it as a news item. If they did publish a piece then the local French newspaper may well get hold of it and also write a piece.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be a very long shot, but have you tried genesreunited.co.uk? It's quite surprising how many people are doing their trees on that and somebody may have a contact for them.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

I've reposted this in a few other French-expat forums in case there's more advice or others might know. Good luck.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

Rubyraesmum .... I've sent you a private message with contact details for them.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nectarine
Rubyraesmum .... I've sent you a private message with contact details for them.
You mean you've found them?

Old Dec 15th 2014, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

yes, though had help from other members of other expat forums ... just spread the word.