satellite tv

Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:52 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite tv

Originally Posted by loy loy
I must have badly written the question becasue no one actually answered with relevance My English is bad though!

The TV we have is fine, getting a signal through the Humax box no problem. Yes we don't have full function of the humax HDR becasue of only one coax, but we aren't bothered. We aren't that into TV.

There is another coax cable that connects to nothing. One end, in the room with the humax, has an F pin ( I think that is what it called) it runs through the wall, throught the courtyard and into the backroom which contains our wood burner and has an arial connection to it.

We will live in this room in winter, so I bought a new TV put it in this room assuming I could use the cable doing nothing and it would all work. However it doesn't

So I have now bought an RF modulator, which apparantly fits into the Humax by Scart. I attach the end of the (not in use) coax to this and then the other end to the other tv and hopefully, I can watch TV in there. From what I can tell. I'm not too up to speed on all that though. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for trying to help though.

PS, Just for further info. The cable running into the humax isn't through a point in the wall (someone who replied mentioned this) It runs externally from our dish and then comes in at about the tv location. Eventually, when I get either a) some money to pay someone or b)some idea of what I'm doing and some gonads to go onto a 3 or 4 storey roof, I'll get it all done properly.
Keep your G's and stay off the roof. My single storey was enough even with crawling ladder. Keep posting, it may well help others. As I said, there's some good stuff on several on-line Humax forms.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

yes I think I will. I was up on the roof at the back of the house a few weeks ago, sorting out a pigeon problem. Just on a scaffold, that was bad enough!! and a storey lower
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails satellite tv-ccf26092012_00000.jpg  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The modulator setup you describe should work however if your TV has more than one RF input socket (one for the old fashioned now discontinued terrestrial signals and another for a built in Freeview tuner) you need to be in the former.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
The modulator setup you describe should work however if your TV has more than one RF input socket (one for the old fashioned now discontinued terrestrial signals and another for a built in Freeview tuner) you need to be in the former.
I don't really understand. Both TV's are newish, under 5 years.

On that sketch, where do I put the arial from the other TV?

Is the coax from the dish meant to go into the modulator? I have it into the modulator.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:51 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand. Both TV's are newish, under 5 years.

On that sketch, where do I put the arial from the other TV?

Is the coax from the dish meant to go into the modulator? I have it into the modulator.
Got me a tad confused loy loy. Our French set-up, using only the one TV, has the twin coax via the Humax to the dish. A separate antennae is connected directly to the TV via the 'old' push fit coax. Independent systems. Switching TV on, we get French TV, we then rev up the Humax which gives us UK channels via dish. The remote for the TV runs the French, the Humax remote for the dish.
If your TV's are newish as you say, you ought to be able to connect both to the antennae, via a coax joint or independently and programme the French channels. To watch satellite on the second TV, you would need to link to the Humax. Not sure how your RF kit is helping. I note you are not showing the 2nd TV coax being linked to the aerial plug on the RF. Have you tried this? Also, can you rig the aerial to connect to the first TV to confirm you are getting French TV channels. Sorry to be long-winded on this, but I'm getting lost. I'm much better at hands-on.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

aha, yes. Not really interested in the French TV at the mo. One step at a time.

Basically I am trying to get what is seen on my main TV on another TV and I believe I can do it via an RF modulator and a coax cable
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:54 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Coax from dish / lnb into receiver.
HDMI to main TV
TV SCART output from receiver into modulator.
Coax from second TV to RF TV output on modulator - the place you have "OUT" written on your diagram.
Select RF channel on modulator
Scan that RD frequency in analogue mode on the TV.

Then whatever channels is on the receiver will be shown on both TVs at the same time - assuming that second coax to the second TV is not damaged in anyway.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Guy
Coax from dish / lnb into receiver.
HDMI to main TV
TV SCART output from receiver into modulator.
Coax from second TV to RF TV output on modulator - the place you have "OUT" written on your diagram.
Select RF channel on modulator
Scan that RD frequency in analogue mode on the TV.

Then whatever channels is on the receiver will be shown on both TVs at the same time - assuming that second coax to the second TV is not damaged in anyway.
This is what I've done. still doesn't work. I scanned the second TV and it picks up nothing (analogue) I have tried both the video and the tv scart on the Humax.
I wonder if there is a setting on the Humax I need to change, when I go into the setting you can change bits for the scarts.
Or the modualtor doesn't work, I can'T seem to go up and down the channels on that very well, I have to turn it on and off every time.

Where I have written out, thats a scart point. Two scarts, one in and one out
Attached Thumbnails satellite tv-ccf27092012_00000.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:31 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

the diagram and connection plan looks fine.
AFAIK there is notihng to change on the receivers, they simply output via SCART and HDMI at the same time...suppose you can try this scart connection on the receiver to make sure it is working by plugging it into your TV...failing that, then as you say you are havng trouble with your RF modulator, perhaps that is not working 100%....or make sure your second TV has the correct PAL settings...?
One thing I found using Humax Freesat HD boxes with RF modulator was that sometimes the audio soundled a bit rough...
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

the diagram and connection plan looks fine.
AFAIK there is notihng to change on the receivers, they simply output via SCART and HDMI at the same time...suppose you can try this scart connection on the receiver to make sure it is working by plugging it into your TV...failing that, then as you say you are havng trouble with your RF modulator, perhaps that is not working 100%....or make sure your second TV has the correct PAL settings...?
One thing I found using Humax Freesat HD boxes with RF modulator was that sometimes the audio soundled a bit rough...
Thanks, I'll give that ago tonight, what do you mean by correct PAL settings?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:13 am

There are a few different PAL settings used around europe (and the world) for analogue signals. If you dont have the TV set to the correct settings of the modulator, or the modulator is not compatiable with the PAL settings of the TV, then you may get nothing. Some "continental" tv do have the option in their menu to change PAL settings...
Old Sep 27th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

There are a few different PAL settings used around europe (and the world) for analogue signals. If you dont have the TV set to the correct settings of the modulator, or the modulator is not compatiable with the PAL settings of the TV, then you may get nothing. Some "continental" tv do have the option in their menu to change PAL settings...
Ah, well the new TV (1) is French, the old TV (2) is English. They are both Sony Bravia's though.

The dish points to whatever the English satellite is.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:40 pm

Ah, well the new TV (1) is French, the old TV (2) is English. They are both Sony Bravia's though.
So maybe the RF mod is not compaital with the English TV PAl settings?

Perhaps try it on the new French TV?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok, I did buy it from Amazon uk mind.

I'll experiment tonight.