Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

S1 E106 form and what it means (exactly)

S1 E106 form and what it means (exactly)

Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

gregca1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S1 E106 form and what it means (exactly)

• Hi
  • Has anyone been in this situation Moving to France from Germany?
  • I wonder has anyone approached their German health insurer to obtain an S1/E106 form so that they can use it if they relocate to another country say France for instance?
  • As I understand it this form is an EU standardized item and should be available from any participating EU member state via its Health system which means the NHS in the UK and in Germany any one of the many Health insurers.
  • Before I approach mine I just want to know my rights and what I should say and ask for.
  • I am planning to upsticks and go and live in France if it is easy to do but it is vital that we do not get into a pickle with regards to being fully covered on the Health and Medical side of things. Non of us will be working initially but we do not intend to start claiming of the French social system we just need the health insurance which I understand we would be entitled to for a minimum of 2 years.
  • Any info would be useful before I commit to this venture.
  • It is vital because our youngest daughter has a chronic illness and we need to make sure that she will get treatment in France as she does now in Germany.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: S1 E106 form and what it means (exactly)

As I understand it although the E106 is a standard document, insomuch as what it entitles you to in another country, actual entitlement and duration depends on the criteria set by the issuing country.

In UK for instance that is by your national insurance record across the 3 UK tax years preceeding your departure and it's duration can be for up to 2.5 years. There is also the workers E106 which is open ended and for those still working in UK and paying NI.

What the rules are for Germany I couldn't say.

Without an E106 you will be entitled to nothing whatsoever from the French health system and will have to have full private insurance, almost certainly impossible to secure with preexisting conditions.

You might try asking your question in the German section, if you haven't already that is.

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Sep 5th 2012 at 8:42 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S1 E106 form and what it means (exactly)

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er

What the rules are for Germany I couldn't say.

You might try asking your question in the German section, if you haven't already that is.
I was about to suggest the same thing. I'd also advise the OP to mention in his post there what sort of insurance he currently has in Germany. A public Krankenkasse or a private Versicherung (something like Signal, subsidised by his employer). I can't be certain, but I'd bet a Deutschmark or two that the procedures will be entirely different.

(If you think french bureaucracy is complicated, never live in Germany).