running gite's

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: running gite's

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa

And I'm not trying to be negative, just honest. Moving to another country, with or without the language is a tough move.

If you make a move to any foreign country, It's going to be hard work, and an uphill struggle. You are going to get knocked back, and have so many problems and frustrations that your head will spin.
I actually disagree with that. I've moved to a new country four times so far, not counting France which will be the fifth. I've never had a problem getting on with it.

HOWEVER, I would strongly agree that moving to a new country without prearranged employment or other adequate means to support yourself is fraught with risk and stress inducing problems.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=smithyandlisa;9987249]
Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie

And I'm not trying to be negative, just honest. Moving to another country, with or without the language is a tough move.

If you make a move to any foreign country, It's going to be hard work, and an uphill struggle. You are going to get knocked back, and have so many problems and frustrations that your head will spin.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I actually disagree with that. I've moved to a new country four times so far, not counting France which will be the fifth. I've never had a problem getting on with it.
Hi Novo,

I'm not sure we actually do disagree. Like you, we've never had a problem getting on with it either, and our efforts have bagged us a fabulous and fully integrated life.

However, if you've moved to four different countries and never had any knockbacks, problems or frustrations then I take my hat off to you. Either you have simply forgotten, or you are blessed with a guardian angel sitting on your shoulder.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Novo,

I'm not sure we actually do disagree. Like you, we've never had a problem getting on with it either, and our efforts have bagged us a fabulous and fully integrated life.

However, if you've moved to four different countries and never had any knockbacks, problems or frustrations then I take my hat off to you. Either you have simply forgotten, or you are blessed with a guardian angel sitting on your shoulder.
No angels in my house. To clarify, I've moved every time (except the next one) to go to a better paying, more senior job. I am indeed getting on a bit now, but my memory is perfectly in tact, thanks. Every time is a learning experience (especially the one to Germany when none of us spoke a word of the language on day one).

I've had "knockbacks" but I'm sure I'd would have had those anywhere including the UK. Perhaps fewer by leaving there, I can't tell.

This time we'll be retiring and living off more than adequate pensions, we've already bought our house there for cash and will have a very decent amount of savings / capital. I don't anticipate any problems other than the inevitable ones concerning dying some day.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No angels in my house. To clarify, I've moved every time (except the next one) to go to a better paying, more senior job. I am indeed getting on a bit now, but my memory is perfectly in tact, thanks. Every time is a learning experience (especially the one to Germany when none of us spoke a word of the language on day one).

I've had "knockbacks" but I'm sure I'd would have had those anywhere including the UK. Perhaps fewer by leaving there, I can't tell.

This time we'll be retiring and living off more than adequate pensions, we've already bought our house there for cash and will have a very decent amount of savings / capital. I don't anticipate any problems other than the inevitable ones concerning dying some day.
As I said, we don't disagree at all.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
As I said, we don't disagree at all.
I think that you are basicsally saying the same thing.
If you make such a move (or 5) with your eyes wide open and a will and determination to make it succeed then you can reap the rewards.
However, if you simply have a dream or a big idea and you arrive in France expecting England with croissants then the dream can turn into a nightmare.
It works for lots of people who come to France with the right attitude and planning and they benefit from a great country to live in.
However, there are others for whom it doesn't work because France is just too different or they didn't anticipate the problems.
The theme of this thread is simply to do your homework first before you commit to a permanent move. Live for say 6 months before you commit and bring enough money to allow you to survive for up to 2 years.
Good luck with your decision.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Dave Ozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thumbs up to you! Thank you . Better to have regretted somthing you have done than regretting somthing you haven't done .cheers
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:31 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Dave Ozzie
Thumbs up to you! Thank you . Better to have regretted somthing you have done than regretting somthing you haven't done .cheers
Je ne regrette rien.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
I think that you are basicsally saying the same thing.
If you make such a move (or 5) with your eyes wide open and a will and determination to make it succeed then you can reap the rewards.
However, if you simply have a dream or a big idea and you arrive in France expecting England with croissants then the dream can turn into a nightmare.
It works for lots of people who come to France with the right attitude and planning and they benefit from a great country to live in.
However, there are others for whom it doesn't work because France is just too different or they didn't anticipate the problems.
The theme of this thread is simply to do your homework first before you commit to a permanent move. Live for say 6 months before you commit and bring enough money to allow you to survive for up to 2 years.Good luck with your decision.
Good advice. I'd say go for it, if it were just a couple, but with two young children to bring up, their welfare should take priority when making important decisions.
Anyway, fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

mitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nicemitsi is just really nice

Hi Dave

We've lived here 8 years, children now 10 and 14 and we run gites.
We are further South than where you are planning and I do think that helps us with our holiday makers, being just 45 minutes North of Bordeaux.

As most people have said the gite business can be a tough one, and we are finding that despite being pretty established a number of years, this year seems to be particularly slow. It can (and is) hard keeping your fingers crossed in the hope of a good season and hoping that it will cover the following Winter months too. Having said that, this year there seemed more demand for Winter lets and we had 2 lots in for around 3 months. One lot lovely - the others a nightmare.

It's not for everyone and it can be really hard work, especially a double changeover. You've got to like people too! We are finding we are taking on any other work we can to make ends meet as it gets more and more expensive. We've had two additional unexpected taxes this year too. It has taken us an age to get established locally so if you can speak French that's a bonus. We're not fluent by any means but can get by.

You do need to make sure that wherever you choose it will attract the holidaymakers, otherwise you will be lucky to even get July/August filled.Try to find a Unique selling point to help stand out from the crowd.

We have decided, however, that we want to move back to the UK as we miss our families - it's not as easy to get back for the visits as we'd assumed - don't underestimate the pull of family, especially as they get older and more frail.
Where we are is very rural and fantastic for the kids up to around 10 -12 years but they want more now and as they get older will need jobs - unless they want to be farmer's wives or hairdressers here. Consider living near a bigger town/city and get the best of both worlds - we're too far at 45 mins when you want to just go to the cinema or bowling.

Education here is not all it's made out to be - there's no encouragement/positive reinforcement at all in my experience.

I don't regret coming here and my kids are bilingual (especally the eldest). The experience has been worthwhile and helped prioritise our lives from the madness of UK spending culture, and the pace of life. We no longer need the latest car (but we do like our gadgets), our 17 year old car does us proud. However I'm not ready for pipes and slippers yet.

You only regret what you didn't do and it works for as many people as it doesn't. Do your homework and give it a go, nothing has to be forever.

Good luck.