Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Running English newsletter from France

Running English newsletter from France

Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice
Default Re: Running English newsletter from France

Originally Posted by Whitsend
Hi Tina.
Hope you are kidding. What's so different about journalists?
All I need to do is get a lump sum out of the business each month and then pay the French authorities out of that. Won't happen for a year so plenty of time my end to carry out research like this. Thanks for all your help - excellent people.
Hi - no not kidding. The French system can seem bizarre and you may find that journalist as a profession is a protected group. I am sure I read somewhere that a freelance journalist (journaliste pigiste) had to have an employment contract with clients and could not be registered as AE. It is quite likely that there is another profession, e.g. newsletter writer (I'm guessing), that CAN register as AE, but you need to be very careful not to fall foul of French "closed shop" professions.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running English newsletter from France

Originally Posted by TinaBee
Hi - no not kidding. The French system can seem bizarre and you may find that journalist as a profession is a protected group. I am sure I read somewhere that a freelance journalist (journaliste pigiste) had to have an employment contract with clients and could not be registered as AE.
That's absolutely correct. The French journalist unions fought hard for this, to ensure that journos get full social security rights, because so many publishers were abusing the system and the profession badly needed protection.
However there is a little wrinkle that allows regional correspondents of national publications to have freelance status, I suppose because they are more loosely attached to their employer and only ever work remotely.
Anyway to get round it I registered as an 'écrivain public', which sounded close enough to me, but to cover my back I did include being a regional correspondent in the bit where you list more specific details about what you actually do (I think the form you fill in is different now though). And guess what they've put down as my activity on INSEE certificate that you get to confirm your status... yep, 'Journaliste'.