Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK

Returning to the UK

Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:22 am
Just Joined

goyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK

I have lived and worked in France for 23 years, and will be retiring on a full French state pension in May. I have to return to live in the UK later this year and would like to know if my French pension can be paid automatically into a UK bank account. If not, I know I would be liable for French tax on my pension, but would I still need to make French social security payments?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Originally Posted by goyg
I have lived and worked in France for 23 years, and will be retiring on a full French state pension in May. I have to return to live in the UK later this year and would like to know if my French pension can be paid automatically into a UK bank account. If not, I know I would be liable for French tax on my pension, but would I still need to make French social security payments?
Hi
I think that most of the info on here is about coming from the UK to France.
My understanding is that if you were coming to France from the UK you would be able to apply to have the State Pension paid gross into a french bank account. This is different from a Government pension e.g. policeman or fireman etc which would be taxed in the UK.
I also thought that you could only be charged social payments if you are able to benefit from them e.g. healthcare.
If you have UK pension entitlement, then you should be able to combine them.
These are things that I have read in previous posts and others will be able to confirm or correct what I have written.
Have a look at this DWP site http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/...ements-in-eea/
where it appears to say that the UK would have responsibility to pay your pension accumulated in other EU countries.

Last edited by cyrian; Mar 14th 2013 at 2:49 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:32 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Could your French pension provider not offer any information?
My UK pension provider has considerable expertise (not Govt) and has always been happy to advise and, as Cyrian says, is happy to pay direct into my French bank in Euros.

Last edited by cjm; Mar 14th 2013 at 5:34 pm. Reason: Xtra thought
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Could your French pension provider not offer any information?
My UK pension provider has considerable expertise (not Govt) and has always been happy to advise and, as Cyrian says, is happy to pay direct into my French bank in Euros.
He said State Pension
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:09 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
He said State Pension
Question still valid. My mistake but ask provider.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Maybe I need to repeat - I am moving FROM France, back TO the UK. I have a French State pension. Any previous replies are kind of irrelevent! If I'd been able to get an answer from the French authorities I wouldn't need to have posted the question on this forum.

Last edited by goyg; Mar 14th 2013 at 10:11 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

goyg - perhaps you would have a better chance of success if you tried a FRENCH expats site, who might have some experience of your situation.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Good point -I'll try that, thanks.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Part of my Pension is French State and they transfer to my bank in Spain no problem a quick google (in French) produced this link

http://www.patrimoinorama.com/index....6336&Itemid=29

Which seems to have the answer to your question. From what I gather the only problem will be that you will have to pay for the conversion to GBP.

If you are returning to the UK for good then you will be resident there and as such it will be the UK taxman who will deal with you. There is loads of info on the European Commission site about State pensions and your rights to transfer them where ever you want. Oh one more thing you will have to get a form signed every year by the Mayor or the Town Hall stating that you are alive still :-)

PS CNAV are quite helpful every year they send me a statement telling me how much they paid me so I can tell the Spanish Taxman :-(

Last edited by scrubbedexpat095; Mar 15th 2013 at 3:20 pm. Reason: To add PS
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

That's brilliant mfh - many thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have a French Pension and don't have to pay S.S. payments on it.
Can't help re transfer to the UK - presumably it's the same procedure as UK Pensions arriving in a French bank? Your bank will simply need your UK bank details. Go along to your bank and ask!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

How do you manage not to pay social security ccontributions? Aren't they taken out at source?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

How do you manage not to pay social security ccontributions? Aren't they taken out at source?
The French Pension that you'll receive is net (apart from Income Tax, of course). You paid côtisations on your French salary, part of which goes towards your Pension, and part towards your Social Security benefits.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Net, or gross? Not sure I understand, sorry.