Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Retirmenet advice on where to live

Retirmenet advice on where to live

Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Re: Retirmenet advice on where to live

I live in South West France

Summers are nice and warm, apart from this year but winters can be cold. I wouldn't recommend around here for you.

Good location for beaches, mountains, Spain, airports etc though. I think most places get pretty cold in winter in France. Maybe not over near Italy, not sure. Good dog walking here, on the edge of the Foret des Landes.

Also we are selling our house hahaha

Last edited by loy loy; Jul 30th 2014 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I too am a big fan of the Charente, and have had many happy holidays there.
If I were to return to France, I would definitely move near to Nantes, which is a delightful place, and I believe has been voted by the French as one of the nicest places to live in frequently.

Anything south of the Loire, tends to be a bit warmer, and the towns and villages around Tours, are super, and I have many friends who live around those areas and love it....easy for transport too, as Tours has a super little airport with frequent flights to UK and Europe.

Best of luck....enjoy finding your perfect spot....how could you not
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SallyD54
and will be moving with our dog and cats
Hi, maybe a minor point, but how many cats will you be bringing?
Importation en France d'animaux de compagnie
indicates that no more than 5 "specimens" can be imported into France with their owners, otherwise it's a complicated procedure at the Customs.
All your pets must comply with the regulations, i.e. a Pet Passport each with up-to-date vaccinations/treatment, etc...
But you've got plenty of time to organise that side of things, it's just that not every one knows about the limited number of pets allowed in at once....
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:27 pm
Planning Retirement

SallyD54 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt realise there was a restriction on numbers but it is three cats at the moment, and one crazy pointer but i am thinking of another dog as he is missing our old Border terrier that passed away. So many things to think of, I am over in France for three weeks soon travelling around so I am hoping i might have more questions after that, sorry you will all be sick of me
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

If you want milder ie not so cold, winters then you probably do need to live near the sea and that immediately puts up prices in most places.

We spent more than 10 years spending a good month in various regions of France and finally settled where we are, in inland Provence in the Luberon valley.

The reasons? We like seasons, we like beautiful but nor too spectacular scenery. Mountains are not for us. We don't mind cold winters as long as they are not damp and grey. now we have got the house right. We love the quality of the light here.

I love cooking and we both love wine so this region is perfect. We didn't want a huge garden because for the first 10 years until we retired this was a holiday home but since we have been here permanently we have acquired a potager near the house where we now keep hens as well.

As for family visits we never quite know where daughter and family are going to be because s-i-l is an army officer and son and family live in Jersey, which poses a problem wherever they want to go. Having said that a few years ago daughter and husband bought the house next door and let it out when they don't need it - so on the spot concierges.

We have an astonishing mix of friends here, largely French, but a few expat Brits and also Dutch, Swiss, Danish and American.

I think it is important to be reasonably fluent in the language including writing. No problem for husband and daughter who are both bi-lingual but I had to work hard. The older you are the harder it is.

Sorry, probably too much information but let me finish by saying that we have never regretted buying and living here.

Good luck and good hunting
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz

Sorry, probably too much information but let me finish by saying that we have never regretted buying and living here.
Personally speaking, I found it really helpful, very interesting and informative. I always find it fascinating how people end up where they do and for what reason. Thank you so much.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Very good post by gb.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Really liked your post grannybunz. I too am looking to explore Provence as possible second home for the future.