Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Retiring in France & coming from outside EU... Please help.

Wikiposts

Retiring in France & coming from outside EU... Please help.

Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in France & coming from outside EU... Please help.

Originally Posted by Montyvator
Dear all.... who had responded to our questions...

Up date: We finally arrived here in France a couple of weeks ago and now going through the process of purchasing of our new home in Dordogne area. But there is still a mortgage hurdle, but we are very hopeful that very soon it all will be resolved.

Meanwhile today we have purchased our car through our own search and direct contact with supplier (AramisAuto.com) in Bordeaux. We are very pleased with our purchase - A Hundai i30 hatchback, 1.6L cc 110PS, Diesel Car with 5 year warranty and we obtained 30% discount.

We have been searching for a suitable car that fits our budget and cheap to run. After reading reviews over 5 month period we knew that Hyundai i30 is the car for our needs. We shall pick up the car at the end of the month.

We found the whole process was straight forward secure with no underhand dealing. The sales advisor (Olivier) at Aramis was just great and he explained everything though he has limited English language (and using Google translator) and made everything clear. (Over the years we have purchased so many cars and dealt with may sales persons, so we know when someone is trying to pull wool over your eyes).

If anyone needs any additional info, then please get in touch.

My wife and I look forward to settling down here in Dordogne for this Christmas. Thanks for all who have replied previously.
Kind regards - Montyvator
Hallo there. Good to hear you're in France and things are working out for you so far.

On your choice of car: I've been driving a Hyundai i30 for the last two years (although the 2.0 litre petrol engine, not the diesel which isn't sold here in Canada). Bottom line: I love it. Enjoy.

I take it though you bought new? I'll be wanting to buy a used car in France in January, so I'm hijacking your thread with questions about that process if I may.

I want a small car such as a Clio or a Peugeot 207. Must be 5 door, must be diesel, must be manual, must be under say 120K km. I'm thinking of a used car dealer rather than a private sale largely because I know nothing (except what I've read on here) about the paperwork involved. Am I right in thinking that the dealer would deal with all that stuff for me? I've done most of my research on leboncoin.fr

Oh, price point less than about 10K euro. All comments welcome....
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Montyvator is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Novocastrian

Good to hear from you. Here is the website from where I searched and have purchased our car: http://www.aramisauto.com/

This company can supply new or secondhand car as they have all the major brands and do all the necessary documentation (free of charge i believe). You will find a car that will suit you for your budget.

After reading many articles (including calling dealears in Germany and elsewhere) we assessed that buying in France for new (or old) car from a dealer is much cheaper and trouble free.

Now that we have experienced the purchase that we have made the right choice for car, price (much lower then UK) we are happy to share with other readers looking for solutions.

We hope that this info will help.

Kind regards / Montyvator
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Novocastrian

Good to hear from you. Here is the website from where I searched and have purchased our car: http://www.aramisauto.com/

This company can supply new or secondhand car as they have all the major brands and do all the necessary documentation (free of charge i believe). You will find a car that will suit you for your budget.

After reading many articles (including calling dealears in Germany and elsewhere) we assessed that buying in France for new (or old) car from a dealer is much cheaper and trouble free.

Now that we have experienced the purchase that we have made the right choice for car, price (much lower then UK) we are happy to share with other readers looking for solutions.

We hope that this info will help.

Kind regards / Montyvator
Cheers Monty. The nearest location to us for that chain is Rouen, about 2.5 hours away. I do have a cousin in Rouen so I'll ask him if he knows anything about it.

I'll likely look for something nearer though. Thanks for the tip.

Novo.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Hello to all our BritishExpat friends

This is an Update. Just to let you know that we now have Title Deeds to our Villa near Bergerac. We have been working for a long time to get our retirement Home in France. There were so many obstacles on our way but one by one we have overcome with help from just one person (in relation to buying the car). Thank God & to good Angels we now have our home.

Now we need a lot of prayers as we need a Phone line and ADSL. (Previous owner had a line. I have searched a lot for advise. Have called France Telecom/Orange. They promised to email us a week ago but so far no email.

We have been travelling since end Dec from France to UK, Back to France and down to Portugal for 4 weeks (We need sunshine in winter). When we get back around 19 Feb we will go direct to our home. (We have already setup with the permission of the previous owner).

Thanks to all of you for your help and advise.
Kindest Regards
Montyvator
Old Feb 9th 2013, 2:51 am
Born again atheist

Now we need a lot of prayers as we need a Phone line and ADSL. (Previous owner had a line. I have searched a lot for advise. Have called France Telecom/Orange. They promised to email us a week ago but so far no email.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advise.
Kindest Regards
Montyvator
Hi, pleased to hear things are going well. Last summer we also wanted phone & internet (+possibility of TV in the future). We just went to the nearest Orange store (about 20 km away for us). As long as the house you've bought has a physical phone line there's nothing to it. They just need the address (and proof that you live there) and they'll offer you a Livebox star which does all of the above, so far for us, seamlessly.

We did have to wait in line at the store for over an hour, but when our turn came, the assistance was excellent. Oh, take an RIB with you for automatic withdrawal of the monthly fee. IIRC it took only 2 days for the installer to come to us and after that it's just following instruction from the guide d'installation.

HTH

Novo
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hi, pleased to hear things are going well. Last summer we also wanted phone & internet (+possibility of TV in the future). We just went to the nearest Orange store (about 20 km away for us). As long as the house you've bought has a physical phone line there's nothing to it. They just need the address (and proof that you live there) and they'll offer you a Livebox star which does all of the above, so far for us, seamlessly.

We did have to wait in line at the store for over an hour, but when our turn came, the assistance was excellent. Oh, take an RIB with you for automatic withdrawal of the monthly fee. IIRC it took only 2 days for the installer to come to us and after that it's just following instruction from the guide d'installation.

HTH

Novo
Hi Novo
Many thanks for the info. As we did not receive a reply from Orange directly so far we were planning to call in our nearest Orange shop. This we will do in about 2 weeks when we return.

We also want just the land line and ADSL. It seem we will given a new number on existing line.

I wonder what the costs will be??? I am going to look up the "Livebox Star" package?...

Once we have Internet facility we can make free & cheap calls from our landline, mobile & laptops using Voip systems (from NoNoH & Skype, etc).

Kind regards
Montyvator
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:19 am
Born again atheist

Hi Novo
Many thanks for the info. As we did not receive a reply from Orange directly so far we were planning to call in our nearest Orange shop. This we will do in about 2 weeks when we return.

We also want just the land line and ADSL. It seem we will given a new number on existing line.

I wonder what the costs will be??? I am going to look up the "Livebox Star" package?...

Once we have Internet facility we can make free & cheap calls from our landline, mobile & laptops using Voip systems (from NoNoH & Skype, etc).

Kind regards
Montyvator

I've just looked online at my French bank account and apparently it's costing us 71.90 per month. A damn sight cheaper than Canada for similar service.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked online at my French bank account and apparently it's costing us 71.90 per month. A damn sight cheaper than Canada for similar service.
????
What do you get for that?
With SFR the Neufbox or whatever they call it now is €32 per month for phone, broadband and tv. That is for free calls to landlines in France and most countries overseas but does not include Canal+.
Line rental included.

Last edited by cyrian; Feb 9th 2013 at 7:49 am. Reason: addition
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Good Evening Novo.

I am very surprised your monthly cost at €72/month. It may be cheaper then Canada but we have been paying a lot less. I have checked on Orange website where it is quoted from €29 (Livebox Zen) and €39/month (Livebox Star) for a full package...

I know that for fixed land line I have to €16/month plus ADSL which I think is around €12 more? It seems I have to do lot more search.

Regards
Montyvator
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:58 am
Born again atheist

Good Evening Novo.

I am very surprised your monthly cost at €72/month. It may be cheaper then Canada but we have been paying a lot less. I have checked on Orange website where it is quoted from €29 (Livebox Zen) and €39/month (Livebox Star) for a full package...

I know that for fixed land line I have to €16/month plus ADSL which I think is around €12 more? It seems I have to do lot more search.

Regards
Montyvator
Or it seems I should pay more attention to my monthly bills. Can't be bothered. Maybe that's every two months. Not sure.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Or it seems I should pay more attention to my monthly bills. Can't be bothered. Maybe that's every two months. Not sure.
Hi Novo
I think your bill is every 2 months, so your monthly bill will be €35.95. That seems OK as per their website prices.

For Cyrian & Others... Here is the link where you will find what is included in these Orange packages: http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/reside...-internet.aspx

Best wishes to all
Montyvator
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:42 pm
Born again atheist

Hi Novo
I think your bill is every 2 months, so your monthly bill will be €35.95. That seems OK as per their website prices.

For Cyrian & Others... Here is the link where you will find what is included in these Orange packages: http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/reside...-internet.aspx

Best wishes to all
Montyvator
Yes, that's right, it's every 2 months. What a relief!