Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

To Toulouse or not to Toulouse!!

To Toulouse or not to Toulouse!!

Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Dawny54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Toulouse or not to Toulouse!!

My hubby has been told if he wants a position in Toulouse then its his! He only has a few weeks to decide though and its a Jan/Feb start. Its a 5 year contract with Airbus.
Were currently living in the North West of England with 3 young children 8, 4 & 2 years and a dog and have never been to France before or speak any of the language.
We don’t know what to do and only have weeks to make the decision!!
Any help or advice will be hugely appreciated

Thanks in advance

Dawn
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Toulouse or not to Toulouse!!

Welcome to the forum.
In answer to your question, my simple advise can be summed up in 3 words.
"Go for it!"

As hubby has a firm contract, and your children are not at a difficult age for such a move, you have everything to gain.
I would also advise putting your children into local French schools. Also don't rush into accommodation choice. Bide your time for a month or two in an appart-type hotel (there's a good one near Purpan) until permanent accommodation suitable for a large family becomes available.
There are many other threads on this site relating to schooling, accommodation etc in & around Toulouse which I suggest you spend some time reading.
Learn French asap! Don't spend excessive time in expat ghettos and you will reap the true, full benefits of 'Life in France'.
Good luck in your new adventure.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 20th 2012 at 10:55 am.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I agree with Tweedpipe.
Normally I caution potential future expats if they haven't got work to come to, have adolescent children, etc... but you have everything going for you.
Every one living in or around Toulouse will agree that it's a good place to live in, so ..... Go for it!
P.S. And as suggested, learn French ASAP!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Find out what support Airbus give you.
i.e. french lessons; practical help with relocation; a helpline if you get stuck with french red tape.
I knew an english family from Airbus - the kids were fluent in french but the parents never were. They relied on the kids to translate for them at times.
The downside may be that your eldest will be 13 at the end of the contract and may have to re-adjust to the english education system.
I wish that I had such an opportunity to come to France like you but you need to do it with your eyes wide open.
As advised, search the forum - the french index page at the top right.
Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:43 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dawny54 View Post
My hubby has been told if he wants a position in Toulouse then its his! He only has a few weeks to decide though and its a Jan/Feb start. Its a 5 year contract with Airbus.
Were currently living in the North West of England with 3 young children 8, 4 & 2 years and a dog and have never been to France before or speak any of the language.
We don’t know what to do and only have weeks to make the decision!!
Any help or advice will be hugely appreciated

Thanks in advance

Dawn
Welcome to the Forum, If you get any issues give me a shout.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is on a local contract with Airbus on the A380. We came to Toulouse 5 years ago and we and our children love it!!! Our kids were 7 and 10 when we arrived and they spoke little french... 5 years on they are happy at french schools and are totally bilingual!
The city is friendly small and surrounded by wonderful countryside. A little further afield you have the Med or the Atlantic for beach holidays and The Pyrennes for skiing in winter.... in short it is great!

Feel free to PM me for more info/answers to questions if you like and good luck!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at any of my previous posts, I am very much of the dmu caution camp, but not in your case. With guaranteed income you are in exactly the position to go to France and enjoy the hell out of it. You can look at it as a five year adventure, if you don't like it, 'tant pis' (too bad) it's France's loss. The kids will take to it like little canards to the water...there will be other parents in exactly the same position in the vicinity For mutual support. An all round winner. When you move to a country for work purposes your expectations are different, and it's easier to set down roots.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Well we're waiting for hubby's manager to return to the uk in a couple of weeks when we can give him our growing number of questions.

Depending on the answers we get off his manager I think we will be French residents next year :-)

We will be renting our house out so need to look into that next
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:25 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a plan! Do let us know how it goes one way or the other. Very best of luck!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:59 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawny54 View Post
Well we're waiting for hubby's manager to return to the uk in a couple of weeks when we can give him our growing number of questions.

Depending on the answers we get off his manager I think we will be French residents next year :-)

We will be renting our house out so need to look into that next
I agree with the posters here - go for it. I think it would be a valuable experience for the whole family and learning another language must be a big plus point.

The only thing I would add however is to do the maths and fully understand the taxes/costs etc so you have a full financial plan understood before you commit...

Great info contained in the links -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=12

Also scan through the pages, here I went back a few pages and noticed several threads about Toulouse - may be other info there that is pertinent...

Bonne chance
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 23rd 2012 at 10:05 am.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Tafster101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, you lucky people
If I had that opportunity to live and work in France, I'd leave tomorrow. I've just been given the chance to work for Airbus in Mobile, Alabama with a view to transferring to Toulouse in a couple of years. I'm a Brit stuck in the US and can't wait to get back to Europe.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:27 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tafster101 View Post
Wow, you lucky people
If I had that opportunity to live and work in France, I'd leave tomorrow. I've just been given the chance to work for Airbus in Mobile, Alabama with a view to transferring to Toulouse in a couple of years. I'm a Brit stuck in the US and can't wait to get back to Europe.
Welcome to the Forum, Going from Mobile to Toulouse will be a bit of a change. When the time come if you have any question ask away
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Well hubby has put in his application with Airbus in Toulouse so juat waiting now for it to be accepted
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting!!! Let us know when definite dates are up!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Will do thanks where about are you? We've been told to look around the plaisance du touch area x

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.