Reload this Page >

Retirement homes in France

Retirement homes in France

Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:37 am
Just Joined

RebeccaParis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement homes in France

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had experience of having an English-speaking relative in a French retirement home. Do they come across any difficulties in settling in? Is the language ever a problem?
Thanks
Rebecca
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:43 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement homes in France

Originally Posted by RebeccaParis
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had experience of having an English-speaking relative in a French retirement home. Do they come across any difficulties in settling in? Is the language ever a problem?
Thanks
Rebecca
Welcome to the Forum, I do believe this subject came up a while back and the general consensus is English Folk don't retire here and use old peoples homes as far as I know of. It is a lot easier to get home help here.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
Thanks for letting me know. Do you have the link for the other thread by any chance?
Rebecca
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Thanks for letting me know. Do you have the link for the other thread by any chance?
Rebecca
There was a brief comment HERE; scroll down to the comment from DMU.

I was hospitalized recently for one week and fortunately was able to converse, laugh and joke with staff members, who most frequently were auxiliaries.
I remember thinking at the time that any expats receiving short/medium term hospital treatment without being able to speak French would surely be in for a very lonely, dull and depressive time. The same imho would apply to those living in a retirement home.
To reap the full advantages of living here, good French is an absolute must.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 13th 2011 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Merci!

Yes, that's just what I was wondering because the language is so key to getting along here.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Rebecca
Hi, will pm you with details.
It's certainly a problem that not many people consider when they bring over their parents, or grow old themselves without having learnt to communicate.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

suzymeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rebecca,My father in law moved to France two years ago to live with my sister in law,after 1 year he became in need of 24 hour care,with nursing,my husband and I found a EPAHD,of a standard you could only dream of in the UK.He speaks no French,but many of the staff do,a local english speaking French lady visits him,and he teaches the staff English.lunch and dinner served with wine in a restaurant,private room,help 24/7.The cost is circa 1,650 euro per month.For admission,you require a dossier,prepared by your doctor,and enough money to pay,you also need to be registered as a French taxpayer ie resident,the EPAHD,s need to be in your dept. I cannot speak highly enough of the care,and as most very old people drive each other nuts!!maybe not speaking the language,is not such a great disadvantage:
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by suzymeek
Hi Rebecca,My father in law moved to France two years ago to live with my sister in law,after 1 year he became in need of 24 hour care,with nursing,my husband and I found a EPAHD,of a standard you could only dream of in the UK.He speaks no French,but many of the staff do,a local english speaking French lady visits him,and he teaches the staff English.lunch and dinner served with wine in a restaurant,private room,help 24/7.The cost is circa 1,650 euro per month.For admission,you require a dossier,prepared by your doctor,and enough money to pay,you also need to be registered as a French taxpayer ie resident,the EPAHD,s need to be in your dept. I cannot speak highly enough of the care,and as most very old people drive each other nuts!!maybe not speaking the language,is not such a great disadvantage:

Welcome to the Forum Suzy....
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:26 am
Just Joined

waffee06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Retirement homes in France

ref:#8

Hello ,

I have put my aging mum in ahome. We live near Cannes. There is one 'bilingual' home here, in mouans sartoux, she has been on a waiting list for this one for nearly a year now. Meanwhile where she is, NOBODY speaks english, except for 1 nurse who manages'Hello, how are you?' Mum did speak french, but suffers from deafness and loss of memory...dementia. Has anyone got info on any ephad's in other areas of the country? I'm willing to transfer her to another area. Especially if english speaking staff more or less, and cheaper. Here it's about 3,400€/month and she's not happy!

Many thanks to all who reply.

waffee06
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:09 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
http://www.sanitaire-social.com/ehpad.html
gives you all the EHPADs in France, there are plenty in the 06.
It's certainly a problem for elderly folk who used to speak French but can't concentrate any more. I visit an elderly English lady in a Retirement Home where the staff get impatient with her for not trying to communicate! (and ability to speak English isn't part of the carers' job description). And no possibility of chatting with the other residents. Despite the excellent health care, she feels very isolated...
Good luck with your search!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

hello dmu,

Yes, people do get impatient with her, but so do we. Independantly of the language problem is the deafness and concentration...........

You say you visit an elderly woman. Do you know of any volunteer services to visit English elderly?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

I have my mother in a home since sept. 2010;; She does speak french, but seems to be forgetting how. As far as I can see, some of the staff do try and adventure into the realms of a couple of words, most command her to speak French. I think though, when people reach a total state of dependancy 24/7, they're bound to have difficulties wherever they are.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:51 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by waffee06
hello dmu,

Yes, people do get impatient with her, but so do we. Independantly of the language problem is the deafness and concentration...........

You say you visit an elderly woman. Do you know of any volunteer services to visit English elderly?
Sorry, no, I "found" her just by chance while visiting a French neighbour who was convalescing there. She also has English-speaking visitors from the local Reformed Church, but otherwise ASAIK there aren't any organized volunteer services here.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by waffee06
ref:#8

Hello ,

I have put my aging mum in ahome. We live near Cannes. There is one 'bilingual' home here, in mouans sartoux, she has been on a waiting list for this one for nearly a year now. Meanwhile where she is, NOBODY speaks english, except for 1 nurse who manages'Hello, how are you?' Mum did speak french, but suffers from deafness and loss of memory...dementia. Has anyone got info on any ephad's in other areas of the country? I'm willing to transfer her to another area. Especially if english speaking staff more or less, and cheaper. Here it's about 3,400€/month and she's not happy!

Many thanks to all who reply.

waffee06
Welcome to the Forum, If you get any issues give me a shout.