Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Renting unfurnished house - question on responsibility for kitchen appliances

Renting unfurnished house - question on responsibility for kitchen appliances

Old May 27th 2021, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting unfurnished house - question on responsibility for kitchen appliances

This isn't really a big deal, but I was curious as to where this falls in terms of responsibility. My wife purchased and rented a house (unfurnished), however when we bought it, it came with a fridge, dishwasher, oven, freezer and a few little extras. The agent who sold us the house was great and very friendly, and found new tenants very promptly which we agreed to, and a finders fee was paid - we have no further contract or dealings with the agency. My wife contacted the tenants, welcomed them to the area, told them if they need anything how to contact her, and exchanged a few friendly messages. First month, no problems, everything was smooth, but in the second month rather than contact my wife directly, they contacted the agent who sold us the house, who then contacted us to say the fridge doesn't get cold enough and needs replacing, the cooker hood needs replacing and they had a new doorbell installed. The agent said they could purchase the replacement fridge and cooker hood and remove it from the next rental costs.

The wife isn't happy to do it that way, because she needs to buy the things herself, as they are tax deductible and the invoice must be under her name. She also doesn't understand why they didn't tell her about it before, but went via the agent (I presume it was just because they became personal friends). As an unfurnished house, I always thought these appliance were bonus extras, and would fall under the remit of the renter? Regardless, I am sure we will replace them asap to keep them happy and for the use of any potential future renter, I just wanted to ask if anybody knew for sure where the responsibility for kitchen appliances lay for unfurnished renting?

Last edited by G-J-B; May 27th 2021 at 7:54 pm.
Old May 28th 2021, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting unfurnished house - question on responsibility for kitchen appliance

I’m slightly confused G-J-B. On the one hand you say “we have no further contract or dealings with the agency” yet later you say “The agent said they could purchase the ......... and remove it from the next rental costs”.
Do the tenants not pay their rent directly to you every month? If they’re paying rent via the agency, with the agency deducting a management fee every month, how is this possible if you never signed a management contract with the agency?

Old May 28th 2021, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting unfurnished house - question on responsibility for kitchen appliance

In reply to your question about who’s responsible for kitchen appliances, what does the tenants’ lease say?

Old May 28th 2021, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
In reply to your question about who’s responsible for kitchen appliances, what does the tenants’ lease say?
I agree with Helen. I think the simple answer is, if the contract mentions kitchen appliances in the description of the property then they are part of the deal. If the contract doesn't mention kitchen appliances they're not.
Swings and roundabouts I guess - if they're part of the deal you have to maintain them and the tenant has to leave them in situ when they depart. If they're not part of the deal it's up to the tenant to repair/replace/chuck them out/take them with them when they go.
Either way, if the agent is not acting for you I think you should tactfully make it clear that he must stop interfering in your business. If it's kitchen appliances in month 2, what might he be advising them to deduct from the rent by month 6 - new heating system, full redecoration? (Yes I have a nasty suspicious mind, sorry about that, but I instinctively distrust "very friendly" agents!)

Old May 28th 2021, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

“The agent said they could purchase the replacement fridge and cooker hood and remove it from the next rental costs.”

OK, now I get it. “they” is the tenant, not the agent. Sorry, it’s early and I’ve only had one espresso.

I fully endorse what EuroTrash said about friendly agents, though.
Old May 28th 2021, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Helen, I didn't explain it very well, but yes, the agent recommended the tenants buy the appliances and take it from the rent, which is not really the way to go.

Thanks for the replies, I will have to get the wife to check the contract. I do remember the agency mentioning these appliances in the listing, so it was always my suspicion that they fall under our care. Even if they didn't I would prefer they were purchased by us just so they get to stay in the property.
The agent has shown many examples of going out of her way, after the sale, and indeed after finding a renter, to willingly help us (as we live far away) and has never asked for anything in return. They have a very good reputation, a heart in the right place and a passion for what they do. I don't think anybody is out to get us, so to speak, but we will make sure the renter knows they must come to us, and let us know at the time, rather than waiting for a list of things to appear. We'll certainly do what is reasonable. If for any reason they do become pushy or unreasonable (which I don't believe will be the case) then we will certainly put our foot down.
Old May 28th 2021, 2:53 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

I would check the contract and personally find new tenants “I’m paranoid at the best of times” but friends with the agent rings to many alarm bells in my book having heard rental horror stories here.
Old May 28th 2021, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

The agent listed the property for one day, then had to take it off the market due to too many requests, so we had a good list of tenants to choose from. They won't friends before the move, as far as it's possible to tell, but as our dealings with the agency are now done and dusted so I can't see any harm might come from it.
Old May 28th 2021, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Sorry Helen, I didn't explain it very well, but yes, the agent recommended the tenants buy the appliances and take it from the rent, which is not really the way to go.

Thanks for the replies, I will have to get the wife to check the contract. I do remember the agency mentioning these appliances in the listing, so it was always my suspicion that they fall under our care. Even if they didn't I would prefer they were purchased by us just so they get to stay in the property.
The agent has shown many examples of going out of her way, after the sale, and indeed after finding a renter, to willingly help us (as we live far away) and has never asked for anything in return. They have a very good reputation, a heart in the right place and a passion for what they do. I don't think anybody is out to get us, so to speak, but we will make sure the renter knows they must come to us, and let us know at the time, rather than waiting for a list of things to appear. We'll certainly do what is reasonable. If for any reason they do become pushy or unreasonable (which I don't believe will be the case) then we will certainly put our foot down.
I actually had the opposite experience with my rental house in the UK. The tenant initially came across as pushy and unreasonable but in fact she’s turned out fine. It’s not easy to find good tenants so if this lot are paying their rent on time and not breaking things, I’d stick with them. Good luck!
Old May 28th 2021, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From a renters point of view: If I rented an unfurnished apartment/house, and it came with a fridge, dishwasher, oven/hood, freezer (which both rented apartments and a house I have had in the past DID - this was both in UK and US), I would expect the landlord to be responsible for the maintenance of these appliances.
I have not come across unfurnished rentals which didn't have appliances in the kitchen.
Can't imagine buying oven, fridge/freezer and moving them into rented accommodation/gettting them hooked up etc.
If the OP is handling the rental operation themselves then they should be handling the maintenance/replacement of these items themselves.

I always thought these appliance were bonus extras, and would fall under the remit of the renter - not at all; they are the property of the landlord and as such his responsibility.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; May 28th 2021 at 6:24 pm.
Old May 28th 2021, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Helen. She has had experience with renting before, in a very different part of the country - the last tennant she had was amazing, it worked out very well for a good number of years, and prior to that it was a little hit and miss but no real negative experiences to come out of it.

SanDiegoGirl - I agree, I would feel the same. I was really just asking out of curiosity rather than trying to find a way out of it. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing if the fault is terminal or just something simple like the thermostat in the wrong position! Just before they moved in, the agent contacted us, and told us the fridge wasn't working. We felt embarrassed to even ask, have you checked the plug, but lo and behold, it simply wasn't plugged in! :
My wife sent a message to the agent, thanking them, and to the renter and tactfully mentioned that they must deal directly with her from here on. I'm quite sure the agent was just trying to be helpful as she has been in the past.
Old May 29th 2021, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

It’s quite unusual to find an unfurnished property in France with any appliances at all. Unfurnished means seriously unfurnished here. All the flats we looked at to rent when we first arrived had a kitchen sink and that was it. Not even light fittings.
Old May 29th 2021, 7:30 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

It’s quite unusual to find an unfurnished property in France with any appliances at all. Unfurnished means seriously unfurnished here. All the flats we looked at to rent when we first arrived had a kitchen sink and that was it. Not even light fittings.

I was just going to say this.
In France you're lucky if there is a kitchen sink.
Old May 29th 2021, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think it was an urban myth that people in France take their light bulbs with them when they leave, but I learned that it isn't entirely.
My partner in the UK rents out an unfurnished chalet and the current tenants specifically asked for there to be no appliances because they already had their own. Which was lucky really because the previous tenants hadn't looked after what was there, but as I recall he advertised it cheap to collect and the phone didn't stop ringing, everything was snapped up in no time.
Old May 29th 2021, 8:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

True. A kitchen sink, shower/wash basin/loo (and water-heater?). Our buy-to-let appartment has a water-heater and central heating, both the responsibility of the landlord if they are out of order.
G-J-B - IMO, if the kitchen has been fitted out and details mentioned in the rental agreement, the appliances in question should be the landlord's responsibility, too. It sounds as though you've signed a management contract with the Estate Agents (who receive the rents and deduct charges before sending you what's due to you), so it's normal that the tenants address them rather than you. But you can insist on being the ones to purchase any necessary new appliance yourselves in your name....
P.S. And if and when your tenants leave, make sure everything is still in place when you do the état des lieux!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.