Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Rented house/leak/who is responsible

Rented house/leak/who is responsible

Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:16 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rented house/leak/who is responsible

A leak has developed in the downstairs toilet ceiling when the upstairs toilet is flushed(not dirty water).
I have reported it to the agency but they want me to claim from my home insurance.
My argument with them is that the leak is caused by a faulty system which the owners should be liable for? Another example when the owners have acted is when there has been a leaking tap which they have replaced no problem. If they can replace a tap then when not a faulty pipe/system?

Another question - if I have to make a claim does that mean my house insurance premium will increase next year?

Final question - in the bath/shower the tiles are only from the bath to half way up the wall. Over time the joint between the top tiles and the wall has become loose with the wallpaper and plaster starting to flake off. Again the agency say I have to make a claim but I say that the bathroom is badly designed and that the owner should rectify the fault e.g. tile the whole wall?

Thanks as always
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rented house/leak/who is responsible

I'm not clear whether you're being told to claim on your insurance for the cost of making good the damage caused by the fault or the cost of repairing the fault.

As I understand it, the landlord should repair the fault, but any damage caused by the fault is normally covered by an insurance claim and the tenant is responsible for insuring the property. The landlord doesn't have any insurance to claim on and he won't want to pay out his own pocket, things like this are the reason why the tenant is required to have insurance. He needs to repair the toilet leak but the damage I think would be for your insurance, but that's just my opinion.

The bathroom sounds like wear and tear and general maintenance rather than damage caused by an actual incident so it wouldn't be covered by insurance. I would argue that one.

As for insurance premiums increasing, don't fret about that because they will probably increase anyway. The insurers are democratic like that, if they have a bad year with lots of gales and floods and claims then all premiums across the board get a percentage increase the next year, not just the people who claimed. So you might as well get something back for your money.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 1:57 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rented house/leak/who is responsible

Thanks Eurotrash. Well explained as always