Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Recycling Large Items in France

Recycling Large Items in France

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future
Default Recycling Large Items in France

Eurotrash!! COme out, come out, wherever you are!!

Ok, I got to France, unpacked my belongings and now I have approx 85 cardboard boxes of various sizes. A few got damaged en route but many are re-usable. All are recyclable but the only storage I have is an outbuilding that gets visited in Spring and Summer by an entourage of mice who just love to shred stuff! So, are there such things as amenity tips or places I can take them or (and I know you will laugh at this one) but is there a facility within my local Council to call them to collect?

The owner says I should just burn them on the land somewhere, but I hate to do that. HELP!!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recycling Large Items in France

Originally Posted by astitchingtime
Eurotrash!! COme out, come out, wherever you are!!

Ok, I got to France, unpacked my belongings and now I have approx 85 cardboard boxes of various sizes. A few got damaged en route but many are re-usable. All are recyclable but the only storage I have is an outbuilding that gets visited in Spring and Summer by an entourage of mice who just love to shred stuff! So, are there such things as amenity tips or places I can take them or (and I know you will laugh at this one) but is there a facility within my local Council to call them to collect?

The owner says I should just burn them on the land somewhere, but I hate to do that. HELP!!
Hi, there are "Déchetteries" everywhere. Look in the "Pages Jaunes" for your nearest one....
Our Municipality will come to collect such things are mattresses and other bulky items if you ring them, but only if you haven't got transport.
The owner should be aware of the local rules and regulations about burning things out of doors - OK everywhere in the winter months but make enquiries about the rest of the year, esp. if you live in the South....
P.S. Sorry to have replied before ET!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

If you advertise, you will find plenty of willing takers. I think we used Angloinfo, but cannot remember.
We also asked for donations to a local charity (one Euro a box, but we did have several hundred, so settled for whatever anyone wanted to give) and raised a fair amount of money for them.

Last edited by bigglesworth; Feb 23rd 2014 at 12:46 pm. Reason: Forgot price suggestion
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, there are "Déchetteries" everywhere. Look in the "Pages Jaunes" for your nearest one....
I went to our local Dechetterie yesterday with some bottles, cardboard, and plastic stuff but I thought that was just for small things. There was something just behind it, that looked vaguely like an amenity tip. I may take a look tomorrow when I go to the Poubelle (which is also very close - how lucky I am!! ).

Thanks dmu, and I forgive you getting in there first - ol' ET is probably having a lie in!!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Our local local dechettrie takes cartons, bottles, plastic bottles, cans paper and mmagazines ans used clothes, shoes and household linen.

Drive a couple of kms down into town and they seem to take anything. From fridges to batteries, rubble to garden waste (this is then chopped up for compost)
You can dispose of paint, engine oil old tyres, matresses, furniture and doors and windows, metal and glass and I am sure other things I know not of.

It is really efficiently run and supervised and woe betide anyone who abuses it.

Makes us despair when locals dump anything in the hameau poubelles. They all have cars or even trucks and it is just sheer laziness.

If you haven't transport then the marie will arrange a collection for a small charge but if, for example you are replacing a fridge or washing machine then the supplier of the appliance must take the old one away for re-cycling.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:59 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

DMU you mentioned the municipal collects larger items...is this the local Dechetterie or is this done through the town hall?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
DMU you mentioned the municipal collects larger items...is this the local Dechetterie or is this done through the town hall?
You ring the Mairie and they tell you when they're likely to be collecting. The Déchetterie is always DIY.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:52 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Our Municipality will come to collect such things are mattresses and other bulky items if you ring them, but only if you haven't got transport.
The owner should be aware of the local rules and regulations about burning things out of doors - OK everywhere in the winter months but make enquiries about the rest of the year, esp. if you live in the South....
P.S. Sorry to have replied before ET!
Ahem, It is no longer ok for anyone except farmers to burn i.e. bonfires outside. It's nationwide ban be it garden waste or cardboard and it applies at all times of the year.

Some regions and larger towns will have loads of déchetteries and they will be on a weekly rota so you have to work out which one is open on given days but saturdays is usually their busiest day and they all have to have a skip for cardboard boxes hardcore unrecyclable wood paints oil metal etc. A section for Encombrants which ends up in landfill or in a furnace. Green waste is usually recycled locally if possibly our déchetterie has a large machine that comes in to mulch green waste and residents of the commune can then help themselves to it "If they want loads of weeds in their garden"

Last edited by Chatter Static; Feb 23rd 2014 at 10:02 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:39 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Ahem, It is no longer ok for anyone except farmers to burn i.e. bonfires outside. It's nationwide ban be it garden waste or cardboard and it applies at all times of the year.
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Each mairie has different rules about when you can burn depending on your area, time of year, weather and so forth. Our mairie has this displayed as a notice or you can simply phone before lighting up.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:23 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Our neighbour said you cannot light up, however, the Mairie said you can, as long as you try and do it during the week, and when there is no wind.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:55 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Each mairie has different rules about when you can burn depending on your area, time of year, weather and so forth. Our mairie has this displayed as a notice or you can simply phone before lighting up.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...s/F31858.xhtml
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The above link states that the Arrêté Préfectoral which sets forth the rules and regulations (for the Département), is available at the Mairie.
But the OP was asking about disposing of cardboard, not "déchets verts"....
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

The pompiers calender we "receive" every year clearly states exactly when and under what circumstances you can burn out-doors.

As this is a high fire-risk area in summer additional bams are sometimes imposed and these are notified on comunal notice-boards. They include bans on charcoal barbecues unless they are built in and firworks.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
T
Hi,
The service public site stipulates that déchets verts are considered as déchets ménagers, which one is not allowed to burn out of doors. Included amongst déchets ménagers are emballages, which would also include cartons and cardboard.
PB
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:15 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by dmu
The above link states that the Arrêté Préfectoral which sets forth the rules and regulations (for the Département), is available at the Mairie.
To be fair it's pretty easy to find a local déchetterie and they are well organised if folk have an issue with French on the phone then take a local map to the Mairie or the neighbours. We have five of them here within a 20 minute drive they are on a rota

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.