Recycling

Old Jan 18th 2019, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recycling

I know this is not an important subject in the light of Brexit etc etc but I am a fairly evangelical recycler and plastic and avoider environmentally damaging things.

Twenty years ago Vaucluse was rather good at recycling an other environmental measures. Recently however things seem to be going downhill. for example the main decheterie in the area now insists you log in to get an access card whiich is useable only a certain number of times in the year and there is a whole range of things you can't recycle - such as aluminium, other than cans and

I am wondering if others are aware of this as a problem and, if so, what they can do to remedy it? We have the mairie on our side but they need as much support as possible.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 12:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recycling

Originally Posted by grannybunz
I know this is not an important subject in the light of Brexit etc etc but I am a fairly evangelical recycler and plastic and avoider environmentally damaging things.

Twenty years ago Vaucluse was rather good at recycling an other environmental measures. Recently however things seem to be going downhill. for example the main decheterie in the area now insists you log in to get an access card whiich is useable only a certain number of times in the year and there is a whole range of things you can't recycle - such as aluminium, other than cans and

I am wondering if others are aware of this as a problem and, if so, what they can do to remedy it? We have the mairie on our side but they need as much support as possible.
Hi grannybunz - can't help with the recycling problem there as I'm in Australia, but I just wanted to say that I wish there were more people like you, and that in my opinion the subject you've raised is far more important than Brexit. The UK will survive one way or the other, but planet earth may not be so lucky unless we all start doing our bit. Good on you!
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the encouragement. That's exactly what I feel.

Just as a small example. I have reusable fruit and veggie bags to avoid using supermarket plastic ones. They are mesh so the contents can be seen and they have a place on which to stick the price label. Since I started using them they have been admired so much in shops etc. When people ask where they can be bought I have to say UK because, as far as I can find, they are unknown in France. Our local supermarket supposedly has biodegradable plastic bags, As an experiment, we put a couple on our compost heap. They are still there 18 months later.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a small example. I have reusable fruit and veggie bags to avoid using supermarket plastic ones. They are mesh so the contents can be seen and they have a place on which to stick the price label. Since I started using them they have been admired so much in shops etc. When people ask where they can be bought I have to say UK because, as far as I can find, they are unknown in France. Our local supermarket supposedly has biodegradable plastic bags, As an experiment, we put a couple on our compost heap. They are still there 18 months later.
Thank you for posting this as I have been meaning to look into reusable fruit and veg bags for a while but not actually done anything about it. Your post prompted me to look on Amazon and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are a number of different sets on the Spain site that I can buy so maybe the French site also has them.

Rosemary
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

+1
The LPO sells fabric bags on-line, but I keep a lot of paper bags (from the baker's) in my shopping basket to use for fruit & veg and whenever I come across pulses, lentils, etc... sold in bulk...
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GrannyB,
Prompted also by Rosemarie's post, would THESE on Amazon fr be similar to the cotton sacs you have?
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do too but the supermarkets will not support them. I mostly shop in the local market and just take my paper bags back each week or hand over my basket to be loaded with stuff which doesn;t need to be bagged.
I'm one of those annoying people who will stop at the check out to get rid of any unnecessary plastic. I did it the other day when I bought some Fair Trade towels which were on plastic hangers. The girl at the check out said well done the folk behind didn't . I did say sorry but it was for the planet as they waited with their litres and litres of plastic wrapped bottled water and plastic wrapped ... wait for it.... organic fruit!!.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Hi GrannyB,
Prompted also by Rosemarie's post, would THESE on Amazon fr be similar to the cotton sacs you have?
They are similar but not quite the same and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on which to stick the weight label .

Old Jan 19th 2019, 1:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's a (bad) joke isn't it, something that takes decades or centuries to break down is not biodegradable! Plastic bags in supermarkets have been banned in Australia, if people don't take their own bags then they have to carry their purchases to the car armful by armful.

I was also quite pleased with the big recycling bins the local Council provides and collects once per fortnight - until the scandal hit the news. The 'recycling' company that had been contracted to sort and separate had just been dumping everything at the rubbish tip
Old Jan 19th 2019, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Single use plastic carrier bags are supposed to be banned in the Luberon Park region. All that some shops and market stalls do is supply ones labelled reusable. It really amuses me when I see, mostly men I have to say, dash into the supermaarket then stagger out again with a carefully piled stack of shopping because they don'e have a bag abd refuse to pay ofr one. I've seen many a damaged item from smashed bottles to squashed gateaux.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Single use plastic carrier bags are supposed to be banned in the Luberon Park region. All that some shops and market stalls do is supply ones labelled reusable. It really amuses me when I see, mostly men I have to say, dash into the supermaarket then stagger out again with a carefully piled stack of shopping because they don'e have a bag abd refuse to pay ofr one. I've seen many a damaged item from smashed bottles to squashed gateaux.
Silly sods, would have been far cheaper just to buy the bag

Banning their use wasn't smooth sailing in Oz, some people were up in arms, abusing the staff and generally making idiots of themselves. Seems to have settled now though.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 7:19 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if Vaucluse is not the only place tightening up. In Switzerland we lived close to the border with Haute Savoie, we had several small decheteries on our doorstep, and on occasion I couldn't get into the parking because of the number of '74' plated vehicles.

Seriously, bloody French people dumping their rubbish in Switzerland???

They'd not make it to one of the two big cantonal decheteries, the number plates would be enough to get them refused entry.

On the bags in supermarket thing, we normally keep a few brown paper bags for veggies, we were running a bit low, and so were delighted to find a supply of the aforementioned cotton sacks just this afternoon.

We're not yet allowed to use our communal decheterie here in Flanders as we still don't yet have our ID cards. We were however allowed to go there and purchase two new wheelie bins (colour coded) for the modest sum of EUR 67.50