Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Receiving Sky in France

Receiving Sky in France

Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

dwrenched is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Receiving Sky in France

Forgive a newbe's question that must have been answered before, but I can't find it. We've moved to Maine et Loire with our Sky digibox and card; house has a dish, but no signal! I've tweaked the dish so that the signal strength is max on the 'signal strength' indicator, but no quality, other idicators zero. Am I aimed at the wrong satellite, or is there some other procedure that I have to follow?

Thanks to anyone who answers,

David
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:58 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Receiving Sky in France

Originally Posted by dwrenched
Forgive a newbe's question that must have been answered before, but I can't find it. We've moved to Maine et Loire with our Sky digibox and card; house has a dish, but no signal! I've tweaked the dish so that the signal strength is max on the 'signal strength' indicator, but no quality, other idicators zero. Am I aimed at the wrong satellite, or is there some other procedure that I have to follow?

Thanks to anyone who answers,

David
You need to be aimed at 28.2 East, I suggest you get yourself to Bricolage and get a Compass and a Basic Signal meter. If the dish was already there when you moved in and the house owned by French People the dish will be pointing in completely the wrong direction.

The signal meters in Brico have one end that connects to the LNB on the dish the other end gets connect to the Cable to the Sky Box and it creates an sound which gets higher pitched with a stronger signal it helps a far bit.

It's not to much of an issue sorting it if you have patience.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Ka Ora! I'll try it as soon as I can get the necessary.

David
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by dwrenched
Thanks for that Ka Ora! I'll try it as soon as I can get the necessary.

David
Your Welcome......
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:04 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see someone else in our dept too! Where abouts are you David?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:13 am
Just Joined

We are near Parcay-Les-Pins, about 25 mins north of Saumur. At the moment we only have a dial-up connection, so forgive any delays in answering!

David
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:10 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Not far from me then! I'm in between Mouliherne & Vernantes! I visit Parçay often, as kids have friends there. The bar's good - Chez Jules, run by Terry. And if you ever get a hankering for fish & chips, there's a 'van pulls up there each Thursday evening for a few hours! Tasty it is too! The couple are French/English and are super sympa!

If you fancy a pint, let me know!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, fish and chips. How come you get to have them? There must be a lot of Brits in that area non?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, fish and chips. How come you get to have them? There must be a lot of Brits in that area non?
I confess Gav, it was me that instigated it out of spite! There was a post from the lady who owns the fish & chip business on Anglo Muppet forum, wanting to know if there were any english bars in the area where she could perhaps trade? So, I sorted it out for her to meet Terry, the owner. This was after she had an absolute mauling from some eejits there who detested that fish & chips should cross the channel! We went for the first night, and there were as many french eating as there were brits. It's still that way now! The food is excellent!

There are alot of brits in that area, in fact Parçay has a massive percentage of ex-pats in the area, but it's not a problem.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Darn! Can't you get something organised in Paris for me?!?! I keep saying if I start a fish and chip shop in Paris I'd make a killing. The French I know who have tried them, love it.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Darn! Can't you get something organised in Paris for me?!?! I keep saying if I start a fish and chip shop in Paris I'd make a killing. The French I know who have tried them, love it.
That is so true. If you ever get one going let me know
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Hope I can bring this back to my original question! Tried moving the dish around veryslowly, got grey bar momentarily on the 'signal strength' bar, but no quality or other info. Went to Briccomarche, but our French isn't good enough for us to be sure what kind of device we wanted. Surely we should pick up the signal by moving the dish in the right direction; we've done it very slowly and carefully and we have a compass? Is it possible that the LNB is wrong? I've replaced the cable. We are receiving some kind of signal; it just isn't the right one! Any advice at all appreciated.

The fish and chips is very good, but the other food at Chez Jules is good, simple and good value.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

David
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:12 pm

Sounds as if there may be a problem with the LNB. If, like you say you have a signal strength indicated on the set-up screen, but no indication of quality. Do you have any near neighbours (just a hunch) that have a sky dish that you can take a rough bearing from?

Failing that, drop me a PM with your number, and I'll bring down a spare LNB for you to try?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:23 pm

The Latency on using the Signal Strength meter on the Sky Box is not that hot. Now Silly question this maybe but are you adjusting the Elevation (Up and Down) of the Dish whilst you are doing it as that makes a big difference on getting a signal as well, it's not just the Azimuth (Side to Side) that counts, For Parcay-Les Pins this is the info Dish elevation= 29.1, Azimuth= 146.5 (magnetic compass), Polarisation= -23.4.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks to both. Ka Ora; yes we've been changing the inclination as well, but not very scientifically. I don't even understand all the technical terms you use; this is the first time in our lives that anyone but a Sky engineer has touched our system! Le Chant; We'll take you up on your kind offer if we dont' have any success within a few days. We don't have any immediate neighbours watching Sky TV.

We'd be happy to buy a signal strength meter if we knew exactly what to look for, and thought we would understand the instructions. Our French is poor but we are trying to improve, but technical French would really be a challenge!

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.