Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Racism in the South of France

Wikiposts

Racism in the South of France

Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:47 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in the South of France

I should have said it has become unpleasant, to me, as it is now commonly used in a derogatory context within a spoken inference or written text phrasing. The word is international, I accept, but can be used as a blunt instrument. It's a personal view.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wetwang
Why is immigrant an unpleasant word?
A rose is a rose by any other name and so is an immigrant.
I think that it's all about perception.

In the UK right now there are serious allegations being made that the Labour Government intentionally increased immigration to the tune of millions, in their terms, to further their own political rather than national interests. As a result, as it turns out, the already overburdened UK taxpayer is funding migrants' living expenses and the system is finding jobs for migrants who are absorbing government services at a time when the UK indigenous population is in many cases having trouble paying its bills.

The anger vented invariably, though of course unjustifiably, gets directed at the immigrant whose face is visible (no pun intended) as opposed to the former government who is no longer even in power. This anger intensifies when the perception exists that the immigrants are in no way integrating into UK culture.

Employers complain that they cannot find quality local sources of labour because there is simply not sufficient skilled workforce to meet their needs. So, they go to the government and get concessions on importing that labour. There is no earthly reason why the foreign applicant should not seek those jobs offered so they can then migrate to make a better life BUT if the locals had, IF IT WAS INDEED FEASIBLE, been given the proper/better education and skills development the import would not have been necessary and they - the local - would not be on benefits.

It's easy to see where the anger and frustration can build towards immigrants in an overburdened small island (half the size of France) at the same time that those immigrants form the backbone of the NHS and some provide the skills that are crucial to the UK's participation in the global economy.

I'm sure there are exact parallels to the UK experience in France.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
'They burn our sheep'
I'm a real francophile but I clearly remember that the French are always the first to "jump" on issues like banning the imports of British Beef and keeping the ban in place for the longest while during the concerns relating to mad cow disease. Not really the same thing as racism, I think.

We've all experienced the arrogance associated with the French who have no patience with us that we cannot speak their language.

RACISM
XENOPHOBIA
ARROGANCE

all have their different manifestations
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

bordeaux_boy will become famous soon enoughbordeaux_boy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fleurette
When I was living in Nice, a couple of my English friends came to visit for a holiday. We were walking through the Cours Saleya in the old city talking in English. Behind us were some French who heard us. My friends don't speak any French and didnt understand, but I hear one guy saying to his mates '****ing English are everywhere nowadays' etc etc. I turned around and gave him a look that made sure he understood that I'd heard him. He went bright red, his chin dropped about 10 feet and he shut up!
Now I'm living in China... they are partly racist, partly weirdly curious by foreigners...
'****ing English are everywhere nowadays (SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 12th 2011 at 7:51 pm. Reason: Language of the forum is English please
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dave Maggie Siddall is an unknown quantity at this point

Racism is common in every country I have ever been in. I think it is natural and goes back thousands of years to our tribal ancestors. get on with your life.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:38 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave Maggie Siddall
Racism is common in every country I have ever been in. I think it is natural and goes back thousands of years to our tribal ancestors. get on with your life.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:38 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What a fascinating post! I happened on this by accident and am hooked! The French are just very very conservative (with a small 'c'), they don't like people who aren't 'just' like them, be it from another village, town or social strata. They need to 'place' people mentally. I love living here, and have been very very happy, and yes...some of my best friends are French! My neighbor describes our relief black postman as 'le petit noir' - she doesn't dislike the postman, but he is black! This has been an idyllic country to have a child in, but now that child is growing, I am just not happy with the need to 'fit the mould' - I don't care if I won't be accepted, but I do for my kid, so we are off.

A girlfriend of mine, of British origin, but with a Nigerian father, and now married to a Frenchman, tells me that she has experienced far less racism here than she did in the UK, which I found encouraging.

I have really noticed a change in attitude towards foreigners in the last couple of years - I am sometimes unsure whether it is due to just the terrible economic downturn, or the plethora of people who have suddenly pitched up in France and made no effort whatsoever to integrate, learn the language, maybe a mixture of both?