IT professionals moving to France

IT professionals moving to France

Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:14 pm
MJX
Just Joined

MJX will become famous soon enough
Default IT professionals moving to France

Hello all,

I'm a new member of the BE community and this is my first post in the 'France' section...my wife and I are looking at our emigration options currently and Oz is (or was) currently on top of the list. Why post here then, you may ask! For a number of reasons i'm not entirely sold on Oz. One of which is that I personally think France would be a better place to live...

I spent 7 months working around Aix-en-Provence a few years ago and absolutely loved the climate, the food, the ambience, and the people. I've had a number of superb holidays in France. I love the fact that living practically anywhere in Europe gives you access to such a wide range of people and places. I love the fact that it's 4 hours from family, too.

So, enough rambling - what I'm wondering is if there are any IT professionals on this board who have made the move from the UK to France successfully, and if there any particular issues to bear in mind, hotspots for employment, or any other general comments. For background, I should say I'm a project manager with good experience, including some in France, and with decent French language skills which I think I can improve greatly with some dedicated effort.

Any thoughts that folks might like to share?

Thanks!

Mel
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:26 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT professionals moving to France

Originally Posted by MJX
Hello all,

I'm a new member of the BE community and this is my first post in the 'France' section...my wife and I are looking at our emigration options currently and Oz is (or was) currently on top of the list. Why post here then, you may ask! For a number of reasons i'm not entirely sold on Oz. One of which is that I personally think France would be a better place to live...

I spent 7 months working around Aix-en-Provence a few years ago and absolutely loved the climate, the food, the ambience, and the people. I've had a number of superb holidays in France. I love the fact that living practically anywhere in Europe gives you access to such a wide range of people and places. I love the fact that it's 4 hours from family, too.

So, enough rambling - what I'm wondering is if there are any IT professionals on this board who have made the move from the UK to France successfully, and if there any particular issues to bear in mind, hotspots for employment, or any other general comments. For background, I should say I'm a project manager with good experience, including some in France, and with decent French language skills which I think I can improve greatly with some dedicated effort.

Any thoughts that folks might like to share?

Thanks!

Mel
Well you are already of to a head start if you got some of the lingo under your belt and previous work in France is going to help a fair bit, There are some big players in various cities it will depend on what area of IT management you have had your experience Best thing is to get your self in country look about lots and see if you can match a suitable location to employment prospect's wont be so hot in the rural area's unless you fancy being one of the half million web designers here (possibly exaggerated) but you do see lots of adverts for them. Its a very nice place life is moderately cheaper, but the enjoyment from life is far greater than the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Nt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Well you are already of to a head start if you got some of the lingo under your belt and previous work in France is going to help a fair bit, There are some big players in various cities it will depend on what area of IT management you have had your experience Best thing is to get your self in country look about lots and see if you can match a suitable location to employment prospect's wont be so hot in the rural area's unless you fancy being one of the half million web designers here (possibly exaggerated) but you do see lots of adverts for them. Its a very nice place life is moderately cheaper, but the enjoyment from life is far greater than the UK.
I'm a networks engineer, i've now been working around the Angers area (49) for the last 2 years, 3 other years spent in Paris.

Getting a job as a project manager is quite tough here (i've been doing low level project management for just over 6 months now), but still its worth it in the long run.

Depending on where you live in France, salaries can vary dramatically.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:29 pm
MJX
Just Joined

MJX will become famous soon enough

Thanks!

I guess that most of the work will be in Paris and the surrounds. Personally, i'd like to live in or near Aix-en-provence. It's a beautiful area.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Nt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the roughNt016 is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Basically there are several big companies around Aix. The ideal option for you would be to contact them directly.

There are sites like: APEC for job hunting. In the south there are seriously big companies like airbus/IBM among others so it all depends what you are looking for. I work for a fairly large computer manufacturing company largely based between here & the UK which means they count on me for linguistics & IT!

Cheers,
Nt
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:03 am
Just Joined

lozthewoz will become famous soon enough

Silly question I know but how do you pronounce Aix in Aix-en-Provence? Do you pronounce the x as an s/z sound to carry on into 'en'? What about when you just shorten the place to Aix? Do you still pronounce it as if it's attached to the 'en'? Thanks.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Pronounced:
ex-en-provonce
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Another silly question. (Sorry for digging up an old thread).

While I'm riding out the "recession" in Ireland, I've recently been floating off some CVs to France. They would be in the area of documentation/technical writing (rédacteur technique).

I sent off a few CVs and a cover letter, all in French to companies outside of Paris. I'd prefer to stay outside of the BIG cities...

Luckily (depending on the job climate) there are aero industries etc in the South, around Toulouse and La Rochelle. I'd love to live in proximity to the Atlantic if I could, so I've been looking at finding companies etc up and down the West Coast.

So, should I follow up the CVs I sent? Is there a French way of looking for work (that sounds stupid I know).

I'm thinking that my French language skills, and being a native English speaker could give me an advantage in someplace like France rather than in Ireland.....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by criodain
Another silly question. (Sorry for digging up an old thread).

While I'm riding out the "recession" in Ireland, I've recently been floating off some CVs to France. They would be in the area of documentation/technical writing (rédacteur technique).

I sent off a few CVs and a cover letter, all in French to companies outside of Paris. I'd prefer to stay outside of the BIG cities...

Luckily (depending on the job climate) there are aero industries etc in the South, around Toulouse and La Rochelle. I'd love to live in proximity to the Atlantic if I could, so I've been looking at finding companies etc up and down the West Coast.

So, should I follow up the CVs I sent? Is there a French way of looking for work (that sounds stupid I know).

I'm thinking that my French language skills, and being a native English speaker could give me an advantage in someplace like France rather than in Ireland.....
Technical writer jobs are quite widely available - especially in the West of France. My company was looking for one recently but there are often jobs in Nantes.

The recession is hitting France quite hard depending on who you listen to, redundancies are planned in my company shortly so we'll see how things go. People in Paris are even out of work and that is unheard of!!!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Thanks for that info.

I was surprised to see quite a few tech writing jobs advertised lately.
I applied to places in La Rochelle and Nantes this week, so I'll see how it goes.

Most seem to work through English, and request a knowledge of French, so I'm going to try and exploit it. I;ll see how it goes. My timing is great. Just when I'm mad to leave Ireland, it's the worst time ever to look for work...

Who knows.....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:16 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nt016
Technical writer jobs are quite widely available - especially in the West of France. My company was looking for one recently but there are often jobs in Nantes.

The recession is hitting France quite hard depending on who you listen to, redundancies are planned in my company shortly so we'll see how things go. People in Paris are even out of work and that is unheard of!!!
Hello matey! Nice to see you posting again, it's been a while! Still haven't gotten around to that pint, have we?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Hello matey! Nice to see you posting again, it's been a while! Still haven't gotten around to that pint, have we?
that we havent mate - I took down my photography site aswell. Baby due next month so i'm on my toes!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen my various posts in this thread?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=amadeus
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

I have indeed Roger, and I have looked into the links you posted as well. Initially I'd like to see if I could get something on the West (I'm an Atlantic lo lover!!), but I suppose in the current climate I should take what I get..
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

OK, just wanted to be sure you'd seen it..
best of luck,
Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.