Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

The Presidential Election Thread

The Presidential Election Thread

Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default Re: The Presidential Election Thread

Maybe Colouche was seen as a joke candidate, but some 30 years after his death, his work for the underclass continues.

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I'm somewhat surprised that this topic has not already met with a number of replies. I'm sure it's not due to a total lack of interest in the Presidential election by Brit expats.
Allow me to kick-off by saying that there is one candidate that you or I could easily beat, probably before getting out of bed each morning.
To explain further, this particular candidate - who admits he is no politician - was recently on a talk-show where a number of clips were shown of his recent radio/tv and internet interview & speeches.
When asked similar significant questions by interviewers, his answers (and especially figures to substantiate his arguments) varied enormously - showing that there was no profound knowledge whatsoever of the subjects in question. Even the parties founding main spokesman was asked his opinion on what would happen if the current party candidate was in fact elected as president. His candid reply was, "He'd be in the s**t!
This reply was shared with the candidate himself who incredibly replied, "He's right, we haven't planned for that!"
I love France, but fools like this who waste their own time, other peoples time, and God knows whose money, should be working in a circus.
I know full well there have been similar ridiculous candidates in the past, Colouche in France, and Cicciolina in Italy who come immediately to mind, and it's not likely to stop. But what a waste of time and effort - and especially money!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
Maybe Colouche was seen as a joke candidate, but some 30 years after his death, his work for the underclass continues.
Agreed. But what's the reaction in France to Sarkosy using a video of part of a teleconference with Obama as part of his campaign? Bit of an own goal?

Seems to be the reaction in the Grauniad.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:29 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

BBC this morning suggesting tide may be turning in favour of Hollande, so perhaps it's watch the space and, maybe, the polls.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
BBC this morning suggesting tide may be turning in favour of Hollande, so perhaps it's watch the space and, maybe, the polls.
Hollande is in the lead according to most of the polls.
To be honest, OH and I are fed up with all the media coverage. We hardly watch the French news any more, we know who we are going to vote for....
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

We've been following events very closely and admit that things are getting really tiresome, especially regarding the insults being thrown from certain candidates, and their childish tantrums on radio or tv interviews.
Whatever the outcome of the election, it would appear that we should all be prepared to tighten the belts of our corsets.
Read HERE.

Personally I just can't wait to hear the results of the first round on Sun evening.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever is the clear winner in the first round of the election this weekend, may still be in for a surprise whatever the opinion poles declare - and their results are frequently flawed.
As an example, I recall in the mid 70's that F. Mitterand won the first round defeating Giscard d'Estaing, and then to much surprise weeks later Giscard d'Estaing went on to win. Similar surprises too in the 80's when Mitterand went on to win the second round.
Never count your poulets....etc (Ne pas vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué).
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

A very humorous look at the election - for those who have a good grasp of French. I've just been .
THIS is marvellous - Laurent Gerra at his best, taking liberties with N. Sarkosy, together with 'interruptions' from F. Hollande; Jack Lang; L.M. Le Pen; Eva Joli; F.Bayrou**; Johnny Halliday etc.

**(at 7:20 Brilliant! Here's a translation if you missed it).
"Whilst at the Agricultural Show I noted a similarity between the M.O.D.E.M. and a cow. What do you note when looking at a cow from behind? Her tail chases the flies from the right, her tail chases the flies from the left, but the a**hole is always in the centre!!

We tend to say may the best man/woman win. But I wonder if that will turn out to be the case tomorrow......?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
A very humorous look at the election - for those who have a good grasp of French. I've just been .
THIS is marvellous - Laurent Gerra at his best, taking liberties with N. Sarkosy, together with 'interruptions' from F. Hollande; Jack Lang; L.M. Le Pen; Eva Joli; F.Bayrou**; Johnny Halliday etc.

**(at 7:20 Brilliant! Here's a translation if you missed it).
"Whilst at the Agricultural Show I noted a similarity between the M.O.D.E.M. and a cow. What do you note when looking at a cow from behind? Her tail chases the flies from the right, her tail chases the flies from the left, but the a**hole is always in the centre!!

We tend to say may the best man/woman win. But I wonder if that will turn out to be the case tomorrow......?
I suspect conveniently folk will find other things to do.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I suspect conveniently folk will find other things to do.
It seems the turnout was very high. So now it's Hollande vs Sarko to the death (as expected). Assuming Le Pen endorsed the latter and the left candidates endorse Hollande it's going to be close.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:11 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I find the statistic that one in five voters punted for the far right to be profoundly depressing.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

We watched last night's event unfold with great interest.
If you ask me Sarkozy is not unlike a kid - who made obvious mistakes, didn't get all the priorities right, and who has now been told that he must redoubler. He's now fighting back, and has called for three public tv debates with Hollande.
I believe that in any face à face debate, Hollande will be seen as the inferior candidate, which is obviously why Holland doesn't wish to participate - he even said, "Why 3? Why not 4, 5, or even six", which is obviously calling bluff.
If Holland reluctantly agrees to just the one public debate it should be VERY interesting! In fact I believe that's been scheduled for this coming Thurs.
Personally I think Sarkozy - true to form - exaggerated somewhat. He should have said he will call for just 2 debates with Holland, which will allow the French public once and for all to make up their minds which is the perceived best choice.
I still think one of Sarkozy's biggest faults is - himself! He's certainly dynamic, but too impulsive. Obviously the downturn in the world's economy is for the biggest part responsible for the discontentment of so many French, but Sarkozy a few years ago should have prevented many of the French industry chiefs from closing down plants in France, and moving into Asia and elsewhere. This has created many tens of thousands of job-losses, and continuing.
As for the election results of Bayrou and Joly - words fail me!
Melenchon has received a huge slap in the face result from Le Pen. I'm sure the former will rally his party to vote for Hollande, and although logically it should happen I cannot see a large majority of Le Pen voters rallying for Sarkozy in the 6th May second round run-off.
Interesting times ahead!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 23rd 2012 at 2:28 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Viewing this from a Scandinavian perspective, do any of you think, given the size of Le Pen's vote, that an event like the Breivik horrors in Norway is a distinct possibility in France? We have already had the mass shootings in Toulouse, but anything on the scale of Breivik or McVeah (sp)?
Blackie
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Tweedpipe, I agree with most of what you say. The coverage over here in the UK has been very good and I have been watching the "Le Monde" website which has an excellent review of the vote to date. But where will Le Pen's supporters go? I guess they might just abstain, but in many respects that is just cutting your nose off to spite your face. Hollande might not have the razz-a-mattaz of Sarkozy, but I think he is seen as respectable and dependable. No doubt Sarkozy will blame the economic downturn on the rest of the World and will start to woo Le Pen.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonkemp
Tweedpipe, I agree with most of what you say. The coverage over here in the UK has been very good and I have been watching the "Le Monde" website which has an excellent review of the vote to date. But where will Le Pen's supporters go? I guess they might just abstain, but in many respects that is just cutting your nose off to spite your face. Hollande might not have the razz-a-mattaz of Sarkozy, but I think he is seen as respectable and dependable. No doubt Sarkozy will blame the economic downturn on the rest of the World and will start to woo Le Pen.
He will indeed woo Le Pen supporters, but I believe a very large majority will abstain. As for Bayrou supporters, there aren't many of them, even if 'The Changeling' (as I've always called him) calls for them to support Sarkozy; the trouble is he is so unpredictable.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 23rd 2012 at 2:27 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Viewing this from a Scandinavian perspective, do any of you think, given the size of Le Pen's vote, that an event like the Breivik horrors in Norway is a distinct possibility in France? We have already had the mass shootings in Toulouse, but anything on the scale of Breivik or McVeah (sp)?
Blackie
An interesting question, but one which would need a very magical crystal ball to attempt an answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.