Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Prepaid mobile sim-card query

Wikiposts

Prepaid mobile sim-card query

Old Jan 10th 2015, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prepaid mobile sim-card query

I've finally succumbed to the idea. I'm after a mobile phone pre-paid card deal which is simple and cheap.
I have one of Mme TP's 'old' Samsung smart phones, which I plan to use in the dumbness mode possible, and which I don't plan to carry (shudder the thought), but keep in the car in case of emergencies etc. (Prior to retiring early, I had an allowance to carry a mobile phone 24/24 for over 14 years, and it was a fabulous day when I was finally free of it) hence my reluctance to carry one again.
I'd like to know if anyone here has purchased a pre-paid card from Leclerc? Their simplest plan I'm currently looking at proposes 3hrs for 4,49euros/month which also includes sms/mms - which, being anti sms - I'll never need!
Comments please, for or against.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prepaid mobile sim-card query

I'm looking for a similar emergency use only option,found this on another forum.Leclerc," pût 10€ on ,it Costs 1.50€ per Month till your10.00€ is low, then top up again"
Old Jan 10th 2015, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I've finally succumbed to the idea. I'm after a mobile phone pre-paid card deal which is simple and cheap.
I have one of Mme TP's 'old' Samsung smart phones, which I plan to use in the dumbness mode possible, and which I don't plan to carry (shudder the thought), but keep in the car in case of emergencies etc. (Prior to retiring early, I had an allowance to carry a mobile phone 24/24 for over 14 years, and it was a fabulous day when I was finally free of it) hence my reluctance to carry one again.
I'd like to know if anyone here has purchased a pre-paid card from Leclerc? Their simplest plan I'm currently looking at proposes 3hrs for 4,49euros/month which also includes sms/mms - which, being anti sms - I'll never need!
Comments please, for or against.
Have you tried dinosaurs 'r us?
You probably don't want to take selfies either.
I have a friend who has a mobile phone which was the simplest in the shop - and it turned out to be too complicated for him.
He usually forgets to take it with him.
If he does, he doesn't switch it on to save the battery ( and nobody can call him).
If he does switch it on he forgets to charge it (and nobody can call him).

Seriously, you can go with what you propose and if you find something better then you can change because you won't have a contract.
Go-for-it
Old Jan 10th 2015, 9:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Have you tried dinosaurs 'r us?
You probably don't want to take selfies either.
I have a friend who has a mobile phone which was the simplest in the shop - and it turned out to be too complicated for him.
He usually forgets to take it with him.
If he does, he doesn't switch it on to save the battery ( and nobody can call him).
If he does switch it on he forgets to charge it (and nobody can call him).

Seriously, you can go with what you propose and if you find something better then you can change because you won't have a contract.
Go-for-it
Have we met?
Old Jan 10th 2015, 4:31 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Why not simply go for the €2 forfait with Free:-

Nouveautés Forfait 2 euros - Assistance Free Mobile

We have a couple of these for the kids - you can subscribe to it over the internet and cancel it whenever you want - they share the Orange network plus they have their own so coverage is good.

At least you won't have to keep remembering to top it up.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I have the leclerc 1,50€ deal, 1,50€ a month flat rate which includes calls up to that value, and you start paying for calls once you go over it, which I rarely do. It's basically for incoming calls, a few SMSs and emergencies. The 1,50 doesn't seem to exclude anything - if your first call of the month is to a UK mobile, it will still be offset. You can also set it up to topup automatically when your credit gets below a figure that you choose.
But, not sure if they still offer this or if it's a legacy tarif.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all you comments, I'll check out each recommendation.
For info the one I referred to is HERE, and appears to be their deal for dummies/penny-pinchers (could be tailor-made for me). Also the related budget calculator.

@Cyrian - you're right, I won't be taking any selfies, but as NovoC is obviously a very keen mobile user, I suggest he enrolls on THIS dedicated 'Selfie' course , the first ever to be offered at a London college.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

@Cyrian - you're right, I won't be taking any selfies, but as NovoC is obviously a very keen mobile user, I suggest he enrolls on dedicated 'Selfie' course , the first ever to be offered at a London college.
I had a mobile once. It went through a full wash cycle in the pocket of some jeans I'd been wearing. So much for that.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:53 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Novo is getting to grips with his new phone

Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Novo is getting to grips with his new phone

Trigger Happy TV - The big phone guy - YouTube
Thanks CS, that made my morning, over coffee.
Here's another 'mobile-phone' clip I've always loved. In fact the model Del Boy is trying to flog was not unlike the first phone I was given - less the telescopic aerial.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 12th 2015 at 4:38 am.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I use Leclerc pay as you go. I put 30e on it, hardly ever use it unless I go back to the UK for work. Lasts months, when it gets to 5e I get a message and I go online and top it up.

Pretty good. I think my wife's 30e last about 3 or 4 months.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:24 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

My mobile with Orange is directly linked to the Haut Debit so I get one bill for the mobile and live box the old landline number is mapped to the unlimited VOIP phone that comes with the Livebox so there is no charge for line rental or a landline and when I'm in the house landline calls go to my mobile.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:25 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
My mobile with Orange is directly linked to the Haut Debit so I get one bill for the mobile and live box the old landline number is mapped to the unlimited VOIP phone that comes with the Livebox so there is no charge for line rental or a landline and when I'm in the house landline calls go to my mobile.
I think the point is that Tweedie wants a really cheap mobile plan for emergencies only and Orange is not the solution!
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:59 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think the point is that Tweedie wants a really cheap mobile plan for emergencies only and Orange is not the solution!
If you already have a Livebox then the increased cost is negligible and I thought all input was welcome....
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:21 am
Hostage Negotiator

Oh, I didn't know he already had a Livebox. But how extra much is the mobile plan and what's the minimum period you have to sign up for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.