Reload this Page >

Pregnant in Paris

Pregnant in Paris

Old May 23rd 2013, 11:05 am
Just Joined

novacane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant in Paris

Hello

I am pregnant and have only just moved here to be with my husband. I have read lots about how birth in France can be overly medicalised. I would really like to hear more from people who have had their baby in Paris and any advice on the process and your experiences. If anyone has had a water birth here in France? Or any birth centre recommendations.

Cheers
Old May 23rd 2013, 11:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant in Paris

Originally Posted by novacane
Hello

I am pregnant and have only just moved here to be with my husband. I have read lots about how birth in France can be overly medicalised. I would really like to hear more from people who have had their baby in Paris and any advice on the process and your experiences. If anyone has had a water birth here in France? Or any birth centre recommendations.

Cheers
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
I had my two daughters in a hospital in the Paris suburbs, but almost 30 years ago and things might have changed!
Come onto the France forum and you'll get more response - the Welcome Inn is just to introduce yourself.
P.S. I would add that you must consult a G.P. ASAP in order to get the bureaucracy moving. Is your husband covered by the French S.S.? Also, how is your French? Doctors might speak English, but nurses, midwives, carers, Admin, ... probably won't, so get your "pregnancy" terminology brushed up!
Can't help with water births, they didn't exist in my day.... Good luck!

Last edited by dmu; May 23rd 2013 at 12:05 pm.
Old May 23rd 2013, 11:39 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi novacane,

I don't live in France but wanted to pop along and say hi and welcome you to the community. I've also taken the liberty of moving your thread for you to our France forum.

Congratulations on the baby!!! When are you due?
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
I had my two daughters in a hospital in the Paris suburbs, but almost 30 years ago and things might have changed!
Come onto the France forum and you'll get more response - the Welcome Inn is just to introduce yourself.
P.S. I would add that you must consult a G.P. ASAP in order to get the bureaucracy moving. Is your husband covered by the French S.S.? Also, how is your French? Doctors might speak English, but nurses, midwives, carers, Admin, ... probably won't, so get your "pregnancy" terminology brushed up!
Can't help with water births, they didn't exist in my day.... Good luck!
My husband has full health coverage with Cigna through his work. My French is very high school so great for holidays not so good for life. I am signed up for a semi intensive course starting in June and hope to be good enough by the time of the birth. My worry is in all the panic of labour we forget every word of French!
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi novacane,

I don't live in France but wanted to pop along and say hi and welcome you to the community. I've also taken the liberty of moving your thread for you to our France forum.

Congratulations on the baby!!! When are you due?
Thank you for moving my thread I am very hopeless at using forums. I am due on December 25th
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for moving my thread I am very hopeless at using forums. I am due on December 25th
No worries, even I wonder if I am starting a new thread in the right section sometimes.

A Christmas Baby ... now that's a present that would be hard to beat!!
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and welcome! How exciting! Our son was born 12 years ago in France, and when I discovered I was pregnant my French was pretty limited. The French health system is wonderful, I was treated fantastically, the nurses, midwives and doctors were super, and you could not hope to have a baby in a better place. Yes, I looked up every possible word pertaining to birth, breast feeding etc. it's a fun way to learn a language, as it really matters to you and you tend to remember it! A French friend of mine had a water birth in Nantes, but I have no info on Paris I'm afraid. Enjoy every second of this magic time!
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

My worry is in all the panic of labour we forget every word of French!
When the time comes, Mother Nature helps with communication!
You should be OK for Christmas Day - I'd hesitate giving birth during the Réveillon, though!
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:36 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
You should be OK for Christmas Day - I'd hesitate giving birth during the Réveillon, though!
Couldn't agree more! Our son was due on the 31st, but I managed to hang onto him till the 4th of Jan!
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Our son was due on Christmas day but I held on until the 27th.
Poor lad - his birthday parties were such a trial.

My S-I-L has a Christmas Day birthday and she was about 10 before she realised that not everyone shared a birthday with Jesus!!!!

Not much help for your question though - as a granny I understand that giving birth in France is usually rather regimented. If you want a more natural birth then I guess you will have to go searching. Good luck and I hope you get the experience you wish for.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats to the OP! I had my four babies in the UK, the last one was a water birth and I'm glad it was! I hadn't planned it that way but I went to the delivery suite and the midwife told me the pool was available and she was filling it up, so it seemed rude to refuse! George was 4.42kg and I was more comfortable in the water than I had been for previous births, so I would recommend it. Except for when the gas and air ran out and the maintenance man had to come and change the bottle So embarrassing, even though I was semi-delirious
My friend was due a few days later and had planned a water birth but unfortunately for her there was a power cut at the hospital so she couldn't have her water birth
All the very best
Sue
Old May 24th 2013, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Phew! I had to do a double-take on this. On initial read I thought you said, "I'd hesitate giving birth during the Revolution!"
Old May 24th 2013, 3:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Phew! I had to do a double-take on this. On initial read I thought you said, "I'd hesitate giving birth during the Revolution!"

And to clarify in case newcomers don't know what the Réveillon is, I meant that the OP should be OK on Christmas Day itself, from the point of view of care at the crucial moment(s). During the Réveillon, there might not be any one around (or all tipsy) and it might be a case of DIY...
Sorry to be so facetious, Novacane, you'll be fine, even if the baby arrives on Christmas Eve/Night!
Don't hesitate to come back with more questions...