Reload this Page >

Potential move to Toulouse

Potential move to Toulouse

Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

KitKat Kay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to Toulouse

Hi

My husband has the possibility of taking a job in the Toulouse region. We both think it would be a fantastic opportunity but I am concerned about what I could do whilst there.

I am a qualified accountant in an FC role and am worried that I am potentially stepping off my career ladder for 3-4 years if I am unable to get a similar position whilst in France.

I speak basic french but have a close friend who originates from France and she has offered intensive lessons. However, speaking french quite well and then speaking and understanding accounting jargon are two quite different things.

Do you think there is a possibility of work in my line or shall I just consider it a very long 'sabbatical'?

Any thoughts/advice you can offer will be very much appreciated.

K
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential move to Toulouse

Originally Posted by KitKat Kay
Hi

My husband has the possibility of taking a job in the Toulouse region. We both think it would be a fantastic opportunity but I am concerned about what I could do whilst there.

I am a qualified accountant in an FC role and am worried that I am potentially stepping off my career ladder for 3-4 years if I am unable to get a similar position whilst in France.

I speak basic french but have a close friend who originates from France and she has offered intensive lessons. However, speaking french quite well and then speaking and understanding accounting jargon are two quite different things.

Do you think there is a possibility of work in my line or shall I just consider it a very long 'sabbatical'?

Any thoughts/advice you can offer will be very much appreciated.

K
I cant comment on the Accounting but there is a lot going on in Toulouse and if your French is good ' ish then you will find something. Lots to do fun place to be and the weather is better than what the northerners get.

And welcome to the Forum. We live outside of Toulouse in 09 Ariege.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

hi there
my husband moved over to toulouse to work 4 years ago and mywelf and the kids joined him last year; We are so pleased that we made the decision to do so; our kids are now bilingual and very happy in french schools here. I am not able to teach as I did in the uk ( to be a primary teacher i need to be completely flunet, which i am not yet.) However I have got pt work as an english teacher, which I enjoy. There is so much to see and do in toulouse and the area around that we have never run out of things to do.

Overall take the move; We can all recommend it;

ps english tv is no problem; via a satellite and box; just check if you are renting where you place the dish.

michele
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your comments.

I'm doing as much internet research as possible (like to be fully prepared to make a decision!)

We both think it is a great opportunity - I'm not sure how long it may take for us to make the move - I just hope it gives me enough time to get to grips with the language sufficiently.

How did you find making friends? Are they english or french or both?

K
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we have a mix of friends; many english as our daughter attends the state international school in colomiers; so mixes with many english kids. some french such as our neighbours and friends from hobbies such as music and outdoor sports..... french people are in some ways more reserved than in the the uk; they will take longer to go from acquaintance to friend but once there they become good friends.
As you go down the line feel free to contact me with any questions; there are a few of us on this site in toulouse or the environs...though I visit somewhat infrequently.
michele
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Toulouse will offer you potential for work in that region. Look upon it as a change in lifestyle. Maybe you won't find a job to match your current one, but is a career in accountancy the major driving factor in your life? If it is, then I understand your trepidation and urge caution. If you thrive on challenges and are interested in a change of lifestyle, then perhaps your destiny lies in Toulouse. Every line of work has its own lingo, and I wouldn't worry about picking up the specific words needed in French - you would learn these in no time at all.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Be sure to thoroughly check that your UK accountancy qualifications acceptable in France. Hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that they might not be worth the paper they are written on !
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks Im and Er - I'll get onto it straight away.

Might have to consider flower arranging or something
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dont worry at all
every one finds something eventually; not necessarily linked to their old job; teaching english at agencies is very popular.

do remember though that wages are much lower in france; i have never worked for so little and i was a teacher in the uk!!!!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

do remember though that wages are much lower in france; i have never worked for so little and i was a teacher in the uk!!!![/QUOTE]

I don't think you can say that all wages are lower in France compared to UK. I know my OH's salary was considerably more in France than it would have been if he'd been doing the same work in UK.
Have you done a search on Google for accounting jobs in Toulouse. I don't know if it's what you are looking for but I did find this site that might help
http://www.financejobsabroad.fr/
There is a EU directive concerning professional qualifications being accepted by other member states. This might also be of help
http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/...-system_en.htm