Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Toulouse

Possible move to Toulouse

Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:03 am
Just Joined

helenjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move to Toulouse

I've no problem with nosy :-) after all, we're all on here for your advice (and those like you) which means you sharing details of your life with all and sundry!

But thank you for your sensible advice, I've read a number of your posts all over the forum and its part of what has convinced me to go for it. My husband is still concerned that we can't afford the IST, but learning the language is one of my aims for the kids so I'm hanging in there!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

manu31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am french; living in Bristol and I am moving back to Toulouse very soon!
I don't know which moving company is the best, no idea!
Have you already planned your move?

thanks!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Manu31,

At the moment I'm getting quotes from companies I found on the Internet and a company a friend recommended that did a local move, but obviously an international move is a different thing. I did search the threads on this site for removal firms but didn't come up with much.

I've got some people coming to do surveys this week and I can let you know what I think, but until we actually move I won't know! It's worth asking around and maybe someone on here will read this and comment. The other thing is to start a new thread on this topic!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helenjane
Hi Manu31,

At the moment I'm getting quotes from companies I found on the Internet and a company a friend recommended that did a local move, but obviously an international move is a different thing. I did search the threads on this site for removal firms but didn't come up with much.

I've got some people coming to do surveys this week and I can let you know what I think, but until we actually move I won't know! It's worth asking around and maybe someone on here will read this and comment. The other thing is to start a new thread on this topic!
Thanks for the info, I am getting some quotes as well. I will have to choose quickly as my move will take place mid March.
They are all pretty much the same price...
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Currently trying the website anyvan.com and guys seem to beat all prices found elsewhere! I will use one of them I think
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your move to Toulouse, it is by far our favourite town. My husband used to work for ESTEC and was often sent to Alcatel espace in Toulouse. I went with him as often as I could, it is a wonderful place.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notathome
Good luck with your move to Toulouse, it is by far our favourite town. My husband used to work for ESTEC and was often sent to Alcatel espace in Toulouse. I went with him as often as I could, it is a wonderful place.
Interesting. Years ago Toulouse was high on my list of favourite French cities. But no longer. I wish it would get it's act together for a major clean-up. Graffiti everywhere, telephone/other public booths a mess, the canine species seem to 'rule' the pavements making walking down-town precarious, not to mention the appalling construction debris everywhere which has been going on for at least 5 years, and shows little signs of completion. These are some of the reasons we decided to move away and look for property elsewhere. I could name a few cities & towns which imho have more appeal. Sad because it's geographical location has many advantages.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Notathome, thanks! I'm in full on slightly panicking mode as hubbies start date approaches, my opportunities for denial are diminishing :-)

Tweed pipe; mmmmm, thanks, I think ;-)
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine... it is terrifying at first but it soon gets better
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:22 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about Toulouse, though I did work for an aerospace company in a previous life. The array of posts on this site suggests there is a wealth of people already working there who can give you the detail of every aspect of living there. For you and the children it will be an education; I believe it will be an exciting part of your family life that you will look back on and reflect how crackin' it was to live and work in France. ENJOY!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

leonette2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Short-term lodging in Toulouse

A different move to Toulouse....
My daughter (with two years of university) will be enrolled in a course and needs short-term lodgings in Toulouse from 6 April to 4 May. She has just been informed that a room rental will not be available and so needs to find alternative accommodations within commuting distance of the Jeanne d'Arc Metro stop. She speaks excellent French and German and has taught English to children, teens, and adults. Any suggestions welcome.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

POST ON FACEBOOK
Toulouse Area English Speaking Forum... someone should be able to help
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

leonette2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, dennerlymum. Any other forums I may have overlooked?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonette2
Thanks, dennerlymum. Any other forums I may have overlooked?
Couchsurfing is now a common buzz-word well known to many students and the like, world-wide. You may wish to check it out.
http://www.wimdu.fr/toulouse/couchsurfing
http://pedagogie.ac-toulouse.fr/lang...Surfing_CE.pdf
http://www.lostgirlsworld.com/2010/0...urfing-france/
http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2009...-habitant.html

Apologies if my previous post on Toulouse came across 'all negative'.The other side of the coin is that Toulouse is a dynamic city with (I'm told) great nightlife - it certainly was in my heyday - with some excellent restaurants which we still frequent during our visits.
All of my work colleagues and their partners have been very depressed when told that their work contract had run it's time and it was the moment to depart from Toulouse.
I'm sure your daughter will love it there, same for other new arrivals.
Good luck.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 8th 2013 at 8:48 am.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I cant think of cant other websites;;;