Reload this Page >

Planning ahead. Where in France with climate change considered

Planning ahead. Where in France with climate change considered

Old Jul 9th 2023, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

srd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning ahead. Where in France with climate change considered

Hi all

I'm around 10-12 years out from semi retirement and after much consideration am looking seriously at France as a retirement spot. I'd probably buy somewhere in around 5 years and in the interim get my French language in much better shape

A major consideration is climate change in the 30-40 years I hope to be alive (let's forget the other things which may happen). Have looked at various sources for temperature change, forest fire risk, etc and really interested in people's views on where would be a good spot to move that considered.

I'd be looking at country living, ideally not long , cold winters (short cold or long mild are fine) and summers which I know will be generally warm but not painfully so

Thoughts appreciated!
Old Jul 9th 2023, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning ahead. Where in France with climate change considered

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I see that you have also posted the same post on the Italy forum.
IMHO you need to love France to want to live there.
Yes it is possible to just select France and make a go of it but it is much better if you know in advance what you will find in France.
You could choose Dordogne with a relatively large Brit population
Living in the countryside in France comes with its own problems.
There are currently areas which are refered to as "medical deserts" because of lack of GPs.
Will you still be able to drive long-term?
Will you need access to hospitals or clinics?
Do you want to make friends with the locals?
Climate Change
When we bought 15 years ago the summer temperature was mid to high 20s and sometimes a bit higher.
Over the last few years, we have seen mid to high 30s on a fairly regular occurance.
You should perhaps consider Brittany/Normandy but be aware that prices have risen dramatically in these regions post-Covid
You obviously want to plan your future and I suggest that you holiday in France in different areas in all seasons.
Rent a gite and try to live like a resident and not as a tourist.
Good luck with your search.

Old Jul 9th 2023, 4:26 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Climate change is the least of the problems you should worry about. Are you aware of all the riots occuring all over France? That would be my concern much more than climate change unless you plan to live like a hermit and never leave your new home.
Old Jul 9th 2023, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I see that you have also posted the same post on the Italy forum.
IMHO you need to love France to want to live there.
Yes it is possible to just select France and make a go of it but it is much better if you know in advance what you will find in France.
You could choose Dordogne with a relatively large Brit population
Living in the countryside in France comes with its own problems.
There are currently areas which are refered to as "medical deserts" because of lack of GPs.
Will you still be able to drive long-term?
Will you need access to hospitals or clinics?
Do you want to make friends with the locals?
Climate Change
When we bought 15 years ago the summer temperature was mid to high 20s and sometimes a bit higher.
Over the last few years, we have seen mid to high 30s on a fairly regular occurance.
You should perhaps consider Brittany/Normandy but be aware that prices have risen dramatically in these regions post-Covid
You obviously want to plan your future and I suggest that you holiday in France in different areas in all seasons.
Rent a gite and try to live like a resident and not as a tourist.
Good luck with your search.

Thanks and all good points. I should have mentioned as more context, I did live/travel France for just over a year in 2008/09 and covered everywhere except far north west (Brittany/Normandy). I am drawn to the centre/Auvergne/Dordogne purely from the time I spent there... But as you say it's as much about 'medical deserts' as about changes in climate.

Thanks again
Old Jul 9th 2023, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srd1
Thanks and all good points. I should have mentioned as more context, I did live/travel France for just over a year in 2008/09 and covered everywhere except far north west (Brittany/Normandy). I am drawn to the centre/Auvergne/Dordogne purely from the time I spent there... But as you say it's as much about 'medical deserts' as about changes in climate.

Thanks again
At the end of the day you have to be comfortable, but even the areas you are looking at are affected and sometimes it can be very localized. We live in Ireland and have a small place in Catalonia maybe 1 hour drive from France. Summer temps can actually be more pleasant further down where we are compared to a place like Périgueux because at least we get a cooling sea breeze. Even when we drive down in Autumn some of the worst flooding has happened while we were passing that area. Extreme thunder storms and heavy rain is pretty common, sometimes pretty scary if not used to it. In Ireland we rarely get thunder, although it has increased in recent years not close to the levels I've seen in the areas between Bordeuax, Limoges, Montauban etc.
This was Ribérac last year.
https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/French-town-bit-by-severe-hailstorms-in-June-still-in-damaged-disarray

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 9th 2023 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Climate change is the least of the problems you should worry about. Are you aware of all the riots occuring all over France? That would be my concern much more than climate change unless you plan to live like a hermit and never leave your new home.
Thanks, yes very aware and also the historical/cultural/economic reasons that triggered these. Tbh they are as likely to happen in other European countries in the coming years too.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 7:46 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes very aware and also the historical/cultural/economic reasons that triggered these. Tbh they are as likely to happen in other European countries in the coming years too.
No argument from me about it. it will most certainly happen elsewhere in Europe. The same underlying economic and social conditions in France also exist in much of western Europe. Many of these problems are self inflicted wounds courtesy of Brussels policies as well the policies of the French, German and a few other globalist leaning countries.
Old Jul 10th 2023, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
At the end of the day you have to be comfortable, but even the areas you are looking at are affected and sometimes it can be very localized. We live in Ireland and have a small place in Catalonia maybe 1 hour drive from France. Summer temps can actually be more pleasant further down where we are compared to a place like Périgueux because at least we get a cooling sea breeze. Even when we drive down in Autumn some of the worst flooding has happened while we were passing that area. Extreme thunder storms and heavy rain is pretty common, sometimes pretty scary if not used to it. In Ireland we rarely get thunder, although it has increased in recent years not close to the levels I've seen in the areas between Bordeuax, Limoges, Montauban etc.
This was Ribérac last year.
Thanks! This is exactly the type of detailed info I'm looking on . Much appreciated! 👍🏻
Old Jul 10th 2023, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend Brittany Summers gradually warming up Winters not too cold but can be a bit grey and drizzly in the west-Finistere
Winters milder in Southern Brittany( Morbihan) due to it being warmed by the Gulf Stream but house prices tend to reflect this
Old Jul 10th 2023, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
I would recommend Brittany Summers gradually warming up Winters not too cold but can be a bit grey and drizzly in the west-Finistere
Winters milder in Southern Brittany( Morbihan) due to it being warmed by the Gulf Stream but house prices tend to reflect this
Thankyou!
Old Jul 10th 2023, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Thankyou!
While I would agree, the same could probably be said for parts of the UK if one is happy with these kind of winters. They are still wet and not much different to milder and sunnier parts of the UK or Ireland so those seeking more sun and less rain might still complain. One could also split time between two places and pick a milder sunnier place for winter without the hassle of Visas etc. and would avoid summer heat. Charente-Maritime could also be an option.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 10th 2023 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 7:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I'm around 10-12 years out from semi retirement and after much consideration am looking seriously at France as a retirement spot. I'd probably buy somewhere in around 5 years and in the interim get my French language in much better shape

A major consideration is climate change in the 30-40 years I hope to be alive (let's forget the other things which may happen). Have looked at various sources for temperature change, forest fire risk, etc and really interested in people's views on where would be a good spot to move that considered.

I'd be looking at country living, ideally not long , cold winters (short cold or long mild are fine) and summers which I know will be generally warm but not painfully so

Thoughts appreciated!
FWIW, my Parisian nephew has bought a "home for retirement" in north Côtes d'Armor, and other inlaws in south Morbihan, for that very reason.
I would consider anywhere along the north coast of France or Belgium where it should remain relatively cooler in the Summer, all things being relative....