Reload this Page >

Perhaps moving to France and clueless

Perhaps moving to France and clueless

Old Apr 19th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

ceecee76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perhaps moving to France and clueless

Hi

I am studying French with the Open Uni here in Scotland and have applied for a post with the British Council as a lang assistant in France as part of my year abroad. I don't know which region I will be assigned to if I am successful but will be; Lille, Caen or Rouen.

My worries, should I be successful, are that I am also a lone parent of a nine year old boy. These posts don't pay very much and so am anxious about what childcare is generally available (after school care and the like) and how expensive it is. Also rental properties, how to go about it, cost etc. Is there any help available to me as a european citizen? I will obviously not have access to the tax credits I currently receive, so what sort of work could I do outwith the 12 hour post the I would have. I would ideally like to tutor English as this will not have the same restrictions as bar work etc with my son, but am not sure if this is possible, is there a demand and how much could I charge etc.

I am sorry that this all sounds a little vague, but these are just some of the concerns that I have. I would love to move over for a while if possible, but feel I need to be as informed as possible.

Any help and info appreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:15 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perhaps moving to France and clueless

Originally Posted by ceecee76
Hi

I am studying French with the Open Uni here in Scotland and have applied for a post with the British Council as a lang assistant in France as part of my year abroad. I don't know which region I will be assigned to if I am successful but will be; Lille, Caen or Rouen.

My worries, should I be successful, are that I am also a lone parent of a nine year old boy. These posts don't pay very much and so am anxious about what childcare is generally available (after school care and the like) and how expensive it is. Also rental properties, how to go about it, cost etc. Is there any help available to me as a european citizen? I will obviously not have access to the tax credits I currently receive, so what sort of work could I do outwith the 12 hour post the I would have. I would ideally like to tutor English as this will not have the same restrictions as bar work etc with my son, but am not sure if this is possible, is there a demand and how much could I charge etc.

I am sorry that this all sounds a little vague, but these are just some of the concerns that I have. I would love to move over for a while if possible, but feel I need to be as informed as possible.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum, Most schools have a "Clé" that run a "garde apres ecole" which will vary from school to school but ours takes children from about 7.30 in the morning till 6.30 in the evening to help working folk, They also run "Centres de loisirs" which is activities for children in the holidays. Both services are not free but cost's can be reduced depending on your income and allocation from the "Caf" Whom are the people/organisation that pay Child benefits in France, Although I don't think you get it for one child. But you would still be entitled to reduction for child related services and meals at school.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
They also run "Centres de loisirs" which is activities for children in the holidays.
.... and Wednesdays (whole day off for Primary school children).
It's true that Family Allowances normally start at the second child, but a single parent is eligible for some allowances.
http://www.caf.fr/wps/portal/particu.../metropole/asf
gives info and there may be other allowances (browse around the caf.fr website).
Hope this helps!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

It is always possible to offer english lessons; I have to fend them off!
If I take any I charge 20 euros an hour 1-1 reducing for groups.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:23 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
.... and Wednesdays (whole day off for Primary school children).
It's true that Family Allowances normally start at the second child, but a single parent is eligible for some allowances.
http://www.caf.fr/wps/portal/particu.../metropole/asf
gives info and there may be other allowances (browse around the caf.fr website).
Hope this helps!
Someone mentioned that a possible 5 day week was in the works across the country, I know they already do that closer to the med. May have been twot mind but it was a teacher moaning about having to do it
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

melbatb is an unknown quantity at this point

My two go to the garderie- at their school it is 1 euro a day upto a max of 12euros a month. It is open from 7.15 and closes at 7pm. The centre de loisirs costs us 10 euros a day but I know a colleague pays about half of that (lower family income).

I am also always being asked to give lessons but working fulltime (well fulltime 4 days a week!!) is enough! Look at leboncoin in the areas you mention for an idea of how much you could get.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:16 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ceecee76;9313746]Hi

have applied for a post with the British Council as a lang assistant in France as part of my year abroad.

Does not the BC offer any advice? Are they not the oracle? The advice above is sound. It is natural for you to be nervous, but as others have posted France can work with you. You will find many friends on this site, albeit at a distance.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ceecee76
Hi

Thanks
The BC used to interview candidates in Scotland before appointment - may have changed. They should have the knowledge and experience to adivse.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

ceecee76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies, they have been most helpful and pointed me in the right direction as well as great infor re the childcare, work etc.

So glad I found this site so welcoming and informative!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

A 2 bed appartment in Caen would cost about 600 euros a month - unfurnished

this website will give you an idea of what is available

http://www.avendrealouer.fr/recherch...liere/location