Reload this Page >

P85 leaving uk * taxes

P85 leaving uk * taxes

Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:52 am
Just Joined

cparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P85 leaving uk * taxes

Hi
Been working from january 11 to october 11 in uk. Moving back to Paris for good now. I got my P45.

question 1*

Is there a catch (something I missed?) when you fill P85 to get back your taxes? I will keep my savings in the uk on my account. but will be living and working in france now.
Is there the only form you need to fill out when you are leaving the uk ?

question 2*
The tax year in the uk is from the 6 april to 5 april of the next year.
Does it mean, I gonna get my tax back for 2011 only the time before 5 April 2011 ?????

I would need to fill out a new form to get back my tax for the other tax year? the time after 5 April 2011 ?????

I am kind of lost. thanks for anyone who can explain me
cheers
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P85 leaving uk * taxes

Originally Posted by cparker
Hi
Been working from january 11 to october 11 in uk. Moving back to Paris for good now. I got my P45.

question 1*

Is there a catch (something I missed?) when you fill P85 to get back your taxes? I will keep my savings in the uk on my account. but will be living and working in france now.
Is there the only form you need to fill out when you are leaving the uk ?

question 2*
Does it mean, I gonna get my tax back for 2011 only the time before 5 April 2011 ?????

I would need to fill out a new form to get back my tax for the other tax year? the time after 5 April 2011 ?????

cheers
Hi Welcome to the forum
There have been threads on this topic before. Try searching the threads (top right).
The income tax to April 2011 should be complete and if correctly paid then you are not due a refund.
The tax you have paid since April 6th until you leave is based on a tax code for 12 months. If you stop earning for any reason during the year then the tax due has to be re-calculated and you may (should) be due a tax refund.
There is a double taxation treaty between the UK and France and you should not be taxed twice but you should declare any UK taxed income on your french tax return.
You need to notify the DWP that you are leaving the UK.
Your NI contributions in the UK should give you medical cover in France for 2 years (+?).
Any accumulated pension rights in the UK should count towards eventual pension entitlement.
I think that you can opt to get your savings interest paid free of UK tax but you would need to declare it on your french tax return. Probably a cheaper option
Good luck
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Hi

question 1*

Is there a catch (something I missed?) when you fill P85 to get back your taxes? I will keep my savings in the uk on my account. but will be living and working in france now. Is there the only form you need to fill out when you are leaving the uk ?

[question 2*

cheers
I think you may be labouring under some misapprehensions but this site explains the situation better than I can:

http://www.taxfix.co.uk/forum/articl...from-hmrc.html

Note that you may be able to claim a refund of the NI you paid but only if you do it before you leave the UK. If you do claim a refund it will nullify any pension entitlement you may have earned but for such a short period that is zero anyway.

As you have only been working in UK for 10 or 11 months the previous posters mention of an E106 does not apply to you as you need a minimum of two complete tax years to qualify for one.

Are you French or British ?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi there.thanks for your aswer. can I reach by email for privacy? many thanks?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

I am french and it is the first time i worked in the uk. Indeed, I left the uk. but does it mean anything? I take eurostar ticket I am still there
i will read the link you sent.
Indeed I work in the uk just for about 8 months. My concern is see if it worth to claim any tax refund (I thought I had the right to ask for it as I am not british and not living in the uk anymore) and If I do so, what is the consequences regarding the tax in france. Actually it is my main concern.
thanks for your aswers
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am french and it is the first time i worked in the uk. Indeed, I left the uk. but does it mean anything? I take eurostar ticket I am still there
i will read the link you sent.
Indeed I work in the uk just for about 8 months. My concern is see if it worth to claim any tax refund (I thought I had the right to ask for it as I am not british and not living in the uk anymore) and If I do so, what is the consequences regarding the tax in france. Actually it is my main concern.
thanks for your aswers
OK This changes things slightly.
The answer I gave about the tax being calculated for the entire tax year and that you would have been over-taxed depends on the tax code that your employers used. This is printed on your payslips and would be something like 747L. If this is the case then you would possibly be entitled to a partial tax refund. If you had a tax code like BR M1 then it is unlikely that you would get a tax refund.
You would simply declare the UK earnings and tax paid in your french tax return.
You will not be asked to pay the tax twice. If you have paid the tax in the UK then you should not need to pay tax on this income in France.
Fill in the form P85 and you will get the UK tax sorted.
Good luck
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

In the UK, you are allowed to earn £622.92 each month tax-free.
Assuming that you have NOT earned more than £42,000 since April 6th then you will have paid tax at 20% on the amount above £622.92 each month.
However, you have not worked for a full year and the calculation will have deducted too much tax.
The tax office would re-calculate your tax liability to correct the wrong calculation.
If you have six monthly payslips then you are allowed to earn £1245 each month before you pay tax at 20%.
e.g. Gross income £20,000
Tax allowance £ 7,475
Taxable income £ 12,525
Tax due [20%]£ 2,505
You can replace the £20,000 with whatever Gross Income is stated on your P60 - the Tax Allowance remains the same and you can calculate the correct tax.
The difference between your calculation is what you would be due as a refund.
Hope this helps
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The basic thing to remember is that you must pay tax on your income somewhere, or at least declare it for tax purposes even though, depending on your earnings, local tax free allowances, and marginal tax rates, no tax may actually be due.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
The basic thing to remember is that you must pay tax on your income somewhere, or at least declare it for tax purposes even though, depending on your earnings, local tax free allowances, and marginal tax rates, no tax may actually be due.
When you leave the UK, complete a P85 form and the UK tax office will calculate what (if any) refund you are due for the UK tax year 2011/12.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

In France, only declare the period you were actually living in France. So for the French tax year you only declare November and December 2011. Make a note on the French tax form of the date you arrived to live in France. Make sure this matches the date you stated on the P85.

This is what many people do when they arrive in France, it is much simpler and works fine.

For your savings, you can apply to have the interest paid gross so that you can declare and have them taxed in France. Complete form R015
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r105.pdf

Last edited by TinaBee; Oct 22nd 2011 at 7:33 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Just be aware that R105 is a form to say that you are entitled to have interest paid tax free, not an instruction to do so.

Unfortunately there is no legal obligation on the part of UK banks or other institutions to comply with a request for gross payment of interest and if they won't play then your only way to reclaim any tax paid might be by UK self assessment.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Just be aware that R105 is a form to say that you are entitled to have interest paid tax free, not an instruction to do so.

Unfortunately there is no legal obligation on the part of UK banks or other institutions to comply with a request for gross payment of interest and if they won't play then your only way to reclaim any tax paid might be by UK self assessment.
Use form R85 which is available for download.
It is a declaration that you are claiming to have interest paid gross.
Several banks I checked refer to this form.
Barclays for example states that you just need to hand the completed form into any branch. [Oh that it would be that easy).
Be careful, if you have any ISAs then you lose your right to their tax-free status unless you are UK resident.

Had another read and possibly R105 is more appropriate to your circumstances however asking the banks to pay interest gross is not an unusual event.
If you have a problem then shop around.

Last edited by cyrian; Oct 22nd 2011 at 10:53 am. Reason: addition
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Use form R85 which is available for download.
It is a declaration that you are claiming to have interest paid gross.
Several banks I checked refer to this form.
They're wrong, which isn't surprising given that British high street banks are generally clueless when it comes to non-residents. Form R85 is only for UK residents who earn less than the tax-free allowance.

Non-residents should use form R105. Unfortunately, very few banks accept this form, and continue to deduct income tax at source. There are several ways to claim it back, though:

(1) through self-assessement;

(2) using form R43 (personal allowance claim, if you're entitled); or

(3) using part D of the double taxation treaty claim form (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/form_france.htm).

Last edited by brioche; Oct 22nd 2011 at 1:15 pm.