Olive trees

Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Olive trees

Does anyone know how one those huge olive trees they sell in garden centres are maintained here over the winter? I would have though the frost would kill them, and they are far too big to move on a plant trolley.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:52 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olive trees

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Does anyone know how one those huge olive trees they sell in garden centres are maintained here over the winter? I would have though the frost would kill them, and they are far too big to move on a plant trolley.
Wrap them in the white tree cloth.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

we have an olive tree in our garden, we just leave it and it carries on. Mind you it doesn't fruit

Our palms we wrap in cling film
Old Jun 19th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Is that really all one needs? Do they not need additional shelter too? Nobody around here seems to have one that I can see - although the garden centres seems to sell lots . And at very high prices.

I ask because we have several well shielded courtyards. On the East side of the house, where we have apricots nectarines, early cherries, peaches etc and one on the South, where we have mulberry, shade trees etc. And the main garden facing West where we have the potager, apples, plums, cherries, mirabelles and all the soft fruit.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Biggsie,
With all that garden how do you find the time to post?
PS we have often wondered about Olive trees at 250 euros a go, whether they would survive.
Blackie
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chti Anglais is an unknown quantity at this point

My Greek work colleague brought me an Olive tree from his home town, last October. he told me not to let it get below minus 5 celcius so kept it in the garage over winter. he adivsed that I should have olives this year and sure enough it's just coming into flower, hopefully olives will follow. By the way it's three years old (apparently) and about a foot high with what looks like about 100 flowers about to open up
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Biggsie,
With all that garden how do you find the time to post?
PS we have often wondered about Olive trees at 250 euros a go, whether they would survive.
Blackie
As you know, our house is in Normandy, near the coast. Olive trees are not a local feature but we have a palm tree which I estimate to be about 100 years old in the garden.

We will be back in two weeks and I'm already preparing again to have my mind boggled when I see it.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

I have a large olive tree that we planted in the garden 3 years ago, and a smaller olive tree about 10 years old that is in a huge garden planter. The smaller one has done well and I had thought the larger one was dead, particularly after the freezing winters we've had but there are new leaves on it so it's still alive. So yes, they can survive the winters here, but a 250euro olive tree is a big investment ... do you get your money back if it dies? Buy a smaller one and plant it well.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:30 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

we have millions of olive trees here that a planted in fields open to the elements at 1000m and higher that survive the winters (-10c this last winter), the snow, the rain, the wind. Never seen anyone running round putting a wooly coat on them, not even the young ones planted last autumn.

it may be dependent on what type of olive you have
http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/olive_cultivars.html
gives some details on types that can be grown in the UK without problems.

I would imagine the harder the life the few the olives.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all replies.
I was just wondering really. Blackie is quite right - it is an AWFUL lot of garden, and I have spent two years gradually ripping out all the rubbish - and replanting.

I was just wondering about a bleak rear courtyard where nothing really happens, but it is quite sheltered. I am really trying to minimise effort, so do not want to put anything that requires any additional maintenance.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Thanks for all replies.
I was just wondering really. Blackie is quite right - it is an AWFUL lot of garden, and I have spent two years gradually ripping out all the rubbish - and replanting.

I was just wondering about a bleak rear courtyard where nothing really happens, but it is quite sheltered. I am really trying to minimise effort, so do not want to put anything that requires any additional maintenance.
a pond

we have a few pots and things in our courtyard with all our herbs and spices. Hanging strawberries, and a palm tree Pretty low maintenance
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

'Er Indoors pointblank absolutely no way Jose on the subject of ponds!

Snakes!