Reload this Page >

Numéro de secu provisoire

Numéro de secu provisoire

Old Sep 12th 2018, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Houghos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Numéro de secu provisoire

Bonjour,
We are moving to Toulouse the 1st of October, I have just found a job but in order to-do my Contract they are asking for my carte vitale, I don't have one yet as not there yet but need my contract in order to rent a flat. Anybody know how I can get a provisional sécurité social number and if I can get it before I move? Also would my wife be covered on my carte vitale ?
Thanks for all the help
Old Sep 12th 2018, 6:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Numéro de secu provisoire

Originally Posted by Houghos
Bonjour,
We are moving to Toulouse the 1st of October, I have just found a job but in order to-do my Contract they are asking for my carte vitale, I don't have one yet as not there yet but need my contract in order to rent a flat. Anybody know how I can get a provisional sécurité social number and if I can get it before I move? Also would my wife be covered on my carte vitale ?
Thanks for all the help
There was another thread recently on the subject, and AFAIR it's the employer who deals with the paperwork for an expat newcomer's Social Security when he/she arrives. Maybe it's also the first time your employer is employing a non-French person and they aren't aware of your Catch 22 situation? Maybe they could provide some sort of Certificate declaring your future salary, for renting purposes?
Didn't you say in another thread that you would both be working? In which case your wife would go through the same procedure for her own coverage. If not, some one more in the know will come along to say whether spouses can still piggy-back on each other's C.V.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Houghos is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay thanks I will talk to my employer, for my wife the situation has changed as she is now keeping her English job but doing it from abroad..
Old Sep 12th 2018, 8:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Houghos
Okay thanks I will talk to my employer, for my wife the situation has changed as she is now keeping her English job but doing it from abroad..
She should check her employment status vis à vis healthcare coverage. There are different options depending on who pays the côtisations to the URSSAF - her UK employer or the French business structure which she might have to set up. Those in the know will come along with details, but she wouldn't need to come under your C.V. if she's (self-)employed.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As said it is a catch-22. You're not entitled to French social security before you are living and working in France; normally proof of address is one of the documents required by CPAM before they will issue you with an ss number. I would simply explain the situation to your employer. Worst case scenario, be prepared to take temporary accommodation, maybe airbnb, for the first month or so while you get your paperwork sorted out. Unfortunately that's how things tend to work in France, moving here has a way of starting off with a paperchase.

Re your wife - there is no system for an adult (except vulnerable adults) to be covered on someone else's CV, that used to be the system but it changed and now every adult who is legally resident in France is entitled to healthcare in their own right, and they get their own CV with their own ss number. Had she not been working she would have been entitled to a CV as your spouse. Since she is going to be working for a UK company her entitlement will probably be via French social security contributions paid on her salary, and that is for her employer to sort out. URSSAF has produced a useful document in English that explains the obligations and the processes for foreign companies with employees based in France https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/files/...FE-UK-2017.pdf

(Alternatively if she returns to the UK to carry out a substantial part of her work she may be classed as a cross border worker, in which case she carries on paying NICs and gets a workers S1 to give to CPAM to get a carte vitale - but from what you say, that's not the case. In any case it's looking doubtful whether the UK will continue to be included in the EU directive on cross border workers after Brexit so this might not be a sustainable route.)
Hope this helps

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 13th 2018 at 5:43 am.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
As said it is a catch-22. You're not entitled to French social security before you are living and working in France; normally proof of address is one of the documents required by CPAM before they will issue you with an ss number. I would simply explain the situation to your employer. Worst case scenario, be prepared to take temporary accommodation, maybe airbnb, for the first month or so while you get your paperwork sorted out. Unfortunately that's how things tend to work in France, moving here has a way of starting off with a paperchase.

Re your wife - there is no system for an adult (except vulnerable adults) to be covered on someone else's CV, that used to be the system but it changed and now every adult who is legally resident in France is entitled to healthcare in their own right, and they get their own CV with their own ss number. Had she not been working she would have been entitled to a CV as your spouse. Since she is going to be working for a UK company her entitlement will probably be via French social security contributions paid on her salary, and that is for her employer to sort out. URSSAF has produced a useful document in English that explains the obligations and the processes for foreign companies with employees based in France https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/files/...FE-UK-2017.pdf

(Alternatively if she returns to the UK to carry out a substantial part of her work she may be classed as a cross border worker, in which case she carries on paying NICs and gets a workers S1 to give to CPAM to get a carte vitale - but from what you say, that's not the case. In any case it's looking doubtful whether the UK will continue to be included in the EU directive on cross border workers after Brexit so this might not be a sustainable route.)
Hope this helps
I was going to suggest putting that link in the FAQs above, and forgot that it's already there, under #20!!
Info on cross-border workers is given in the link in #21, but what will happen after Brexit is any one's guess....
HTH
P.S. @ OP: in another thread you said you've lived 3/4 of your life here - didn't you have a S.S. number during that time? Not necessarily a Carte Vitale, but at least the number? That should suffice for your employer ....

Last edited by dmu; Sep 13th 2018 at 7:24 am.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
P.S. @ OP: in another thread you said you've lived 3/4 of your life here - didn't you have a S.S. number during that time? Not necessarily a Carte Vitale, but at least the number? That should suffice for your employer ....
Yes indeed, once you have an ss number it is for life. Having worked in France in the 1970s, I then didn't return until the 2000s and had I kept any papers? had I coco, but retrieving my ss number took all of 1 email to URSSAF to ask their advice on how to find it, and 1 AR letter to my previous employer to ask them to dig it out and send it, which they did very promptly.