Reload this Page >

Non-Habitable space

Non-Habitable space

Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

SPhilip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-Habitable space

Hi

Having almost completed the purchase on a stone barn to convert in the correze region, was wondering if i could pick some of your brains on aspects of planning permission. Having chatted to a few people regarding plans for the barn and habitable space I am now slightly confused.

Space under the eaves to a height of 1.6m is classed as non-habitable?
Bathrooms are not classed as habitable space?
Library's are not classed?
Utility rooms are not classed?

Since our floor space sizes in at 200m2, we thought that by planning for the above alleged non-habitable spaces we could have plans drawn up without having to use an architect since the total habitable space would be 170m2.

I would love to get a precise consensus on this problem from any knowledgable people regarding this situation or should we just bite the bullet and have an architect involved from the beginning of the project.

Look forward to hearing your replies and any other useful info to share on beginner barn conversions

Many thanks
Steve
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

sidcup00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non-Habitable space

Hi Steve yes you are correct about habitable space I am converting a barn in St Thomas De Conac and I drew the plans They are under 170 mts after deducting non habitable space Geoff
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:53 am
Just Joined

SPhilip is an unknown quantity at this point

What was classed as non-habitable space in your project?

Spoke with my ever 'clear as mud' estate agent today and was told whatever is converted in the barn (library, utility etc) is classed as habitable. So next step is to get plans together (was going to use friend in UK) by architect (over 170m2)then submit plans to regional artchitect (something about baitment france) in Tulle, who then approves construction start.

Sounds far too complicated this avenue thats why i want to provide plans bringing the habitable space down to 170m2. This area of planning permission by the looks of things is very open-ended.

Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

sidcup00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve on my project I deducted the Chai (wine store) the garage bathrooms,larder. And area of the stairwell. Good Luck Geoff