Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

NI contributions

NI contributions

Old Aug 14th 2020, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Markwaldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NI contributions

Hi if I come to France from the UK and apply for my NI number, how much do I pay in contributions every month?

Last edited by Markwaldo; Aug 14th 2020 at 7:17 am.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NI contributions

Here is some reading for you. https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance

Have you been paying UK NI until now ? In what capacity ? What will you do in France ?
Old Aug 14th 2020, 7:29 am
Just Joined

A French person gets a job on minimum wage, how much does he pay? That's all I need, can you give me an exact number? If not can you give a rough number, I don't want to make calculations.
Thanks.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go https://www.efl.fr/chiffres-taux/soc.../taux_cot.html
I don't want to make calculations either but the answer will be there if you can be bothered adding a few percentages together (you just need to add up the salarié column). Looks like roughly 20% or thereabouts?
Old Aug 14th 2020, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry are you talking about UK national Insurance contributions or the French equivalent? If the former you obviously do not pay them if you are a French resident and working If you mean the French equivalent (which really is not equivalent) then ET has provided a link but deductions in France is always a minefield plus you will be paying for health care pension contributions and income tax It is not as simple as" just give a rough number" There could also be certain things that are deductible and a lot will also depend on whether you have a family in respect of income tax for example If you move to France you need to develop a self help mentality when it comes to bureaucracy and finance as you are expected to submit a tax return every year to the French tax office

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Aug 14th 2020 at 8:59 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You may choose to continue paying UK NI as a way of enduring that you get a UK State Retiremenet Pension when you retire..

Reading your original post I thought you were asking about UK NI. Were you asking about the French equivalent ?

There is a great deal of information available by googling. Here is just one - from someone who wants to sell you something ! https://greenwichtax.co.uk/french-social-contributions/
Old Aug 14th 2020, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You may choose to continue paying UK NI as a way of enduring that you get a UK State Retiremenet Pension when you retire.
Yes indeed, in most cases you can, but of course if you work in France you will still have to pay French cotisations in the normal way. If you opt to keep paying voluntary NICs, that would be in addition, not instead of.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Sorry are you talking about UK national Insurance contributions or the French equivalent? If the former you obviously do not pay them if you are a French resident and working If you mean the French equivalent (which really is not equivalent) then ET has provided a link but deductions in France is always a minefield plus you will be paying for health care pension contributions and income tax It is not as simple as" just give a rough number" There could also be certain things that are deductible and a lot will also depend on whether you have a family in respect of income tax for example If you move to France you need to develop a self help mentality when it comes to bureaucracy and finance as you are expected to submit a tax return every year to the French tax office
I'll explain, I want to go to France from UK, I want to obtain my NI number, I am not going to work just yet, I just want my NI number, I will pay for accommodation and contributions to obtain this NI number, how much do I pay? There must be a simple number????
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you start work your employer will obtain your number.
You can probably apply to the Pole Emploi for a socail security number.
You only pay social contributions when you earn above a certain level.
Is is exactly the same in the UK.
I do not know if you can pay voluntary contributions in France.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Markwaldo
I'll explain, I want to go to France from UK, I want to obtain my NI number, I am not going to work just yet, I just want my NI number, I will pay for accommodation and contributions to obtain this NI number, how much do I pay? There must be a simple number????
It doesn't work like that. Sorry but you need to stop thinking English. France doesn't have exact equivalents and doesn't operate the same way.

To join the French healthcare system, you need to first of all be legally resident in France. Unless you're legally resident in France you can't join the healthcare or social security system.
There are various statuses for being legally resident - working, or self-sufficient economically inactive, or retired, or a student, or whatever.
A person's route to joining the healthcare/social security system and paying their contributions, depends on what their status is. If the persion is working, they pay social security contributions based on their wages or self employed income, and that entitles them to healthcare and potentially certain benefits. If the person is self-supporting economically inactive, they can apply to join the healthcare system after living in France for 3 months, and if they're accepted they'll be billed annually. I think it's roughly 8% of income above 9000€, something like that but it's calculated from the income they declare on their annual tax return. If the person is retired and has a pension from the UK, they can usually obtain a form S1 from DWP in the UK which they take to CPAM; that's what gets them into the healthcare system and they don't have to pay anything because the UK funds their healthcare in France.

I'm guessing you will be self supporting inactive. So you can apply after 3 months legal residence, and you might have to wait anything up to 6 months or longer before you get your number. It's not a quick process.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Foreigners do it differently ?

Yes !

In the UK is is NI (National Insurance)

In France it is "Cotisations"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cotisation
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Foreigners do it differently ?

Yes !

In the UK is is NI (National Insurance)

In France it is "Cotisations"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cotisation
Or côtisations to the S.S. (Sécurité Sociale) or the Sécu, to be more precise...
Old Aug 16th 2020, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably should be mentioned that another difference is, France doesn't provide healthcare free at the point of delivery like the NHS does. For most treatments, around 70 per cent of the cost is reimbursed by the state and the remaining 30 per cent you either pay out of your own pocket, or if you've taken out top up insurance that will cover all or part of the 30% co payment.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why can't all these foreigners do it OUR way ?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't all these foreigners do it OUR way ?
You mean drive on the wrong side, and make mushy peas&chips the national dish instead of chicken&fois gras cordon bleu.......?
I'll suggest it to MmeTP and report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.