New tv series

Old Jan 7th 2024, 9:09 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,290
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default New tv series

For those who enjoy a fascinating tv drama, there's a new 4-part series commencing tomorrow Monday (parts 1&2) on FR2 at 21:10hr.
Based on a real-life drama in Nice during the 70’s, it’s one of the most mysterious and dramatic events ever recorded in France, which even after 37 years is not totally resolved, leaving many questions unanswered.
This is a series I’ve been looking forward to, especially having watched last year an excellent related documentary ’Agnes ne respond plus - Tant qu'ils ne retrouvent pas le corps’ (No reply from Agnes - Until they find the body).
The new series on Monday is unsurprisingly in French, and for those who may want to watch it, basically the events of this curious drama are as follows:
Mme Le Roux after the loss of her husband takes over control of the Nice Casino - Palais de la Mediterranean. To counter the competition in the shady Casino world, she hires a lawyer Maurice Agnelet who becomes bitter on not being given the post of General Manager. To take revenge he courts Mme Le Roux’s daughter Agnes, who a short time later disappears and who’s body has never been found……….

The excellent related documentary mentioned above was shown on Arte tv last year. I see that’s it’s now on YTube and it’s possible to select the sub-titles in English. It’s in three 1hr episodes, and it may be well worth watching (at least episode one to get the gist of the affair) before watching the new tv series - which I hope lives up to expectations, especially as there are two excellent actors playing the major roles.
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2024, 6:58 am
  #2  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tv series

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
For those who enjoy a fascinating tv drama, there's a new 4-part series commencing tomorrow Monday (parts 1&2) on FR2 at 21:10hr.
Based on a real-life drama in Nice during the 70’s, it’s one of the most mysterious and dramatic events ever recorded in France, which even after 37 years is not totally resolved, leaving many questions unanswered.
This is a series I’ve been looking forward to, especially having watched last year an excellent related documentary ’Agnes ne respond plus - Tant qu'ils ne retrouvent pas le corps’ (No reply from Agnes - Until they find the body).
The new series on Monday is unsurprisingly in French, and for those who may want to watch it, basically the events of this curious drama are as follows:
Mme Le Roux after the loss of her husband takes over control of the Nice Casino - Palais de la Mediterranean. To counter the competition in the shady Casino world, she hires a lawyer Maurice Agnelet who becomes bitter on not being given the post of General Manager. To take revenge he courts Mme Le Roux’s daughter Agnes, who a short time later disappears and who’s body has never been found……….

The excellent related documentary mentioned above was shown on Arte tv last year. I see that’s it’s now on YTube and it’s possible to select the sub-titles in English. It’s in three 1hr episodes, and it may be well worth watching (at least episode one to get the gist of the affair) before watching the new tv series - which I hope lives up to expectations, especially as there are two excellent actors playing the major roles.
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try (with French sub-titles, as most French actors don't articulate well enough to understand all)
dmu is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2024, 1:53 pm
  #3  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tv series

I was duly irritated by the mother and daughter, which must indicate that their respective performances were good, if not somewhat caricatural. I'll be watching the other 2 episodes, as I wasn't interested in the real-life drama at the time, and now wonder how the the script writers imagine it panned out....
dmu is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2024, 3:48 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,290
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tv series

Originally Posted by dmu
I was duly irritated by the mother and daughter, which must indicate that their respective performances were good, if not somewhat caricatural. I'll be watching the other 2 episodes, as I wasn't interested in the real-life drama at the time, and now wonder how the the script writers imagine it panned out....
DMU, thanks for your comments.
I found the first 2 episodes interesting, notwithstanding an added element of sentimentality compared to the Arte documentary, no doubt to cater for larger prime-time tv audiences. Looking forward to final episodes next Monday.

Started watching another multi-episode thriller (six I believe) which imho is even better; Riviere-Perdue on TF1 Thurs at 21:10. The first 2 episodes still available from the same site.
As mentioned in a previous post I don't have or want a satellite dish, and don't subscribe to Canal Plus or other subscrption paid services. Rely on and get enormous satisfaction from an Optex double tuner (brilliant little device) - OPTEX Decodeur TNT HD DVB-T2 Double Tuner HEVC Recepteur - which either allows watching programs directly or recording of French tv programes to a hard drive. If it's an English or American film I'll often select English from the menu of the tuner to watch in VO. In the case of the Riviere-Perdue initial episodes, some of the dialogue was spoken far too rapidly for me to benefit 100%, so whilst retaining the French spoken dialogue I selected to add French subtitles from the menu, which helped to clarify and made the episodes far more satisfying. This also helped with a few episodes of Vera who's northern accent I had difficulty in understanding.......
Similarly, Mme TP has been binge watching Downton Abbey on tv channel 25 every Sat evening. I confess to liking it too, so in selecting VO in English and sub titles in French we're both kept happy.
Also pleased to see that a new series of Qui veut etre mon associe? (the French 'Dragon's Den') is back on Wed evenings (M6).

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 14th 2024 at 3:58 pm.
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2024, 7:12 am
  #5  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,888
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tv series

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
DMU, thanks for your comments.
I found the first 2 episodes interesting, notwithstanding an added element of sentimentality compared to the Arte documentary, no doubt to cater for larger prime-time tv audiences. Looking forward to final episodes next Monday.

Started watching another multi-episode thriller (six I believe) which imho is even better; Riviere-Perdue on TF1 Thurs at 21:10. The first 2 episodes still available from the same site.
As mentioned in a previous post I don't have or want a satellite dish, and don't subscribe to Canal Plus or other subscrption paid services. Rely on and get enormous satisfaction from an Optex double tuner (brilliant little device) - OPTEX Decodeur TNT HD DVB-T2 Double Tuner HEVC Recepteur - which either allows watching programs directly or recording of French tv programes to a hard drive. If it's an English or American film I'll often select English from the menu of the tuner to watch in VO. In the case of the Riviere-Perdue initial episodes, some of the dialogue was spoken far too rapidly for me to benefit 100%, so whilst retaining the French spoken dialogue I selected to add French subtitles from the menu, which helped to clarify and made the episodes far more satisfying. This also helped with a few episodes of Vera who's northern accent I had difficulty in understanding.......
Similarly, Mme TP has been binge watching Downton Abbey on tv channel 25 every Sat evening. I confess to liking it too, so in selecting VO in English and sub titles in French we're both kept happy.
Also pleased to see that a new series of Qui veut etre mon associe? (the French 'Dragon's Den') is back on Wed evenings (M6).
I somehow missed "Rivière-Perdue" last week. I always watch "L'Art du Crime" when it's shown, another Nicolas Gob series, and I've recently discovered "Le Voyageur", with Bruno Debrandt. These TV actors are everywhere!
I, too, have to add sub-titles to "Vera", the northern accent is beyond me, as a Sussex lass!
I've got all the Downton Abbey episodes on DVD, except for the Christmas specials, and I was happy to see the episode where Mary accepts Matthew's proposal on Chérie 25!
Are we the only members who watch French TV?
dmu is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2024, 7:48 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,290
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tv series

As mentioned Rivière-Perdue can be watched on catch-up tv. Also I've seen all the Le Voyageur episodes so far and agree it's excellent. If one details any of the weekly magazines it's reatively easy to see whether a given film is worth watching as the ratings are generally a valid guide, I always check on this and if in doubt double-check on IMDb.
I believe there were five Christmas Special episodes of Downton Abbey, with one being screened over Christmas which we watched and noted that the venom-spitting O'Brien was conspicuous in her absence, the reason for which became clear in last Sat's episode.
It's unlikely that we're the only ones here watching French tv, but future comments may or may not confirm this.
Incidently you have a PM.........
Tweedpipe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.