Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

New members and hopefully soon new owners!

New members and hopefully soon new owners!

Old May 18th 2015, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New members and hopefully soon new owners!

Originally Posted by Intours
Good question/point...;

Would you go through the expense (HASTLE !!!!!!!) of buying a house in France (diverse country) based on its road/rail/air connections to the UK ? ????

If I bought a house in the UK, I would buy a house in an area I want to live/stay/want a holiday home. I don't want house near Doncaster because there is a direct flight from Tours to Doncaster.
We didn't choose our location based on transport but it was a consideration in reaching our decision.
If needs be we can walk from the station (40 mins) and we have done that because of the lack of public transport especially on public holidays (lots of them). Yes no taxis at the station because it was a public holiday unimaginable in the uk!!
Local buses also run a holiday service which stops at 20:30.
We considered another location about 40 mins by taxi from the station but rejected it. Taxis are expensive in France and the car hire offices close around 21:00.
You also need to consider that if you are permanent resident then your adult children (with offspring) may want to visit by the most convenient means of transport.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

If I wanted a holiday home in France (giving everything I know about France) I would personally buy a flat. That would either be in a country town/city or flat in a ski resort/beach resort. That would safeguard any investment. There is a lot of stress and cost involved in owning a rural holiday home. If I really wanted a house it would have to be a new build/new house. A period home really is out of the question in my books.
I think you're being way too practical here, i.e. missing the point.
A holiday home is an indulgence. Nobody needs one. It's a luxury. Luxuries aren't meant to be practical.
If you already have a perfectly good everyday car but you dream of owning a Rolls Royce, and one day you find can afford to buy one, you're not going to be interested in people telling you that the fuel consumption is lousy, etc etc, and what you really ought to buy is a Skoda. You don't want a Skoda, you're out to buy a dream not a car. The OP wants a rural idyll. They don't want a flat in a town. Maybe they already have one of those in the UK.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP seems like a sensible guy who is researching a project and is looking for comments/info.
I am sure that he will filter out what is relevant to him in moving his project forward and reject other comments that are not appropriate to his lifestyle.
Old May 18th 2015, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I think you're being way too practical here, i.e. missing the point.
A holiday home is an indulgence. Nobody needs one. It's a luxury. Luxuries aren't meant to be practical.
If you already have a perfectly good everyday car but you dream of owning a Rolls Royce, and one day you find can afford to buy one, you're not going to be interested in people telling you that the fuel consumption is lousy, etc etc, and what you really ought to buy is a Skoda. You don't want a Skoda, you're out to buy a dream not a car. The OP wants a rural idyll. They don't want a flat in a town. Maybe they already have one of those in the UK.
We have access (within the family) to a ski flat in the Alpes and a beach flat not far from Montpellier. My OH has inherited the traditional rural family home in the middle of nowhere. All three have the same value although selling the family home would be hard.

For a family holiday the ski flat wins hands down with us and the kids and we go all year round. In the summer it is fantastic. It is heaven for children at all ages.

You can guess the rural family home is a pain. We are forced to go two or three times a year to mow the lawn and up keep the house. Not really a holiday and there is not a lot for kids to do apart from getting bitten by things.

Just saying that, a 'flat' of some description may be a way of testing the waters in France as you will get your money back. We all know that investing money in a rural house is likely to be lost.

Going back to the transport links. It is of course very important but I was thinking more budget airlines. Budget airlines come and go so I would not invest in a property anywhere based on a flight from a regional airport in the UK to another regional airport in France. Furthermore, even airports close. It is rumoured that Tours airport is closing. That is going to upset a few people.

P.S I drive a Skoda.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

As several have said the important issues are decided by what YOU want.
But I do think that they are different for those who come over in their youth, and those of us who come as older adults with grown children. The former build their family and friends in France. The latter have their family and friends in the UK. As member of the second group ease of access to the UK is vital - not so that we can get to the UK. But rather so that our friends and family can easily come to see us.
We are therefore 5 minutes from a direct road route (Calais in under six hours). Just a bit more than Cyrian's 40 minutes walk to the station, and 45 minutes drive from one airport and 70 minutes from a second.
We are 5 minutes drive from a reasonable market town with three supermarkets, a dozen restaurants, seven bakers and three builders Merchants.
I also believe too much land is just a burden. We have a hectare - far too much but it was the only house that ticked all SWMBO's boxes - and it is manageable now that we have knocked it into shape. Will it be when we are 70?
Too much emphasis is put on selling/reselling in my opinion. Anybody who bought in the last ten years is very unlikely to show a profit for several reasons.
Property in France was the most overvalued in Europe according to the Economist for most of that time. The Euro has collapsed by some thirty odd percent. Whether either of those two wil be remotely similar in another five or ten years is anybodys guess. So for an English based buyer to worry about that BEFORE the event is simply a waste of time. Different if you are based in France and want to move.
And anyway life is for living. You simply cannot spend your life worrying about the "what ifs".
Old May 18th 2015, 9:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitzy and Shahine
Hi everybody, we're Fitzy and Shahine from London. We're currently looking to buy a nice house around Limoges (Limousin or Charente) to use for holidays whilst our twins grow up and hopefully to retire to when the time comes.
Hopefully sooner rather than later!

If there's one bit of advice you'd give to someone in our position, what would it be?!

Look forward to getting to know you all!
So F&S, it seems to come down to this - do not buy something as a holiday home and then expect to retire there. The two objectives are incompatible. Most people on this forum are either already retired or have bought something with that end in mind. A holiday home is completely different.

But hey buy the holiday home you want, wherever you want and then sell it later to buy the retirement home you want, wherever you want. Simples.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post Biggleswade.

The other option which CAN occur is to buy a house either with a building plot attached or buy a plot sometime in the future. This house came with a plot attached with CU (planning permission). They do still exist tho do have a survey done on the plot before you sign. Obviously. Today you can play on it...tomorrow you can live on it.

Re a garden, certainly a fussy garden would be out of the question but it is possible to find a local farmer and tractor who will keep your land tidy. In addition there are always people who do garden maintenance including pools. We use someone who charges 12 euros an hour plus materials. (he is a bit underpriced...)
Old May 18th 2015, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Fitzy and Shahine is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it's a really hard choice to make. We're in our forties and we have 18 month old twins. So we're painting with a broad brush when it comes to what we buy now and how appropriate it is in the future. We have seen property that is rural but still only a 15 minute drive to Limoges, so the picture is gradually taking shape. We are really looking forward to strongly embracing French culture, even if it's shut after 17h00
We are really grateful for all your comments, all are really useful, both on and off topic.
We have one question.... what is OP?!
(Shahine says hope it doesn't mean Old Person as she'll give you a kick 'where the sun don't shine' or as the French say Le Derriere LOL )
Old May 18th 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

The question is, what is your budget ? (If you don't mind me asking).
Old May 18th 2015, 12:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitzy and Shahine
We have one question.... what is OP?!
(Shahine says hope it doesn't mean Old Person as she'll give you a kick 'where the sun don't shine' or as the French say Le Derriere LOL )
Will I be the first to say that OP = Original Poster?
Le derrière is a relatively polite way of expressing the destination of the kick! I'm too ladylike to say the word, but think "see you later" in text msg form and you'll find the more usual term!
Old May 18th 2015, 12:45 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought OP was old person but no, it is original poster.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:13 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by Bonnet
Good post Biggleswade
Biggleswade
Old May 18th 2015, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Fitzy and Shahine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Shahine has removed 'Das Boot' for now.
Ok, I know that is German.

Last edited by Fitzy and Shahine; May 18th 2015 at 1:27 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey that would hurt
Ein Stiefel would be bad enough
Old May 18th 2015, 10:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying that, a 'flat' of some description may be a way of testing the waters in France as you will get your money back. We all know that investing money in a rural house is likely to be lost.
You continue to miss the point, indeed in a very unassimilated British way.

Who cares if you make capital gains on your home? The French don't and nor do we.

Been there, done that, now I'd like a French T-shirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.