Reload this Page >

New declaration to be made by everyone who owns a house in France

New declaration to be made by everyone who owns a house in France

Old Jan 26th 2023, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

danhollins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New declaration to be made by everyone who owns a house in France

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
​​​​​​​Well; in the past I think you had to have a fiscal number before you could set up a personal space, and normally the way you get your fiscal number as a non resident is when you receive your first property tax bills, which for you won't be until the end of this year.

It was always the case that if you wanted a fiscal number before it was notified to you as a matter of course, you could in theory request one from your local tax office. The thing with that is that some tax offices would issue one without a murmur, some would say No we don't do that, and some wouldn't respond at all. But maybe with this new requirements there will be a proper policy of giving people their number when they request it.

Whatever, I think that's what to do first. Write to your tax office, explain you've recently bought a property and haven't yet had any tax dealings, but you would like a tax number so that you can set up a personal space and meet your obligations. And maybe send them a copy of your French acte de vente, and a copy of your passport and your driving licence showing your UK address, for good measure, they do like their justiificatifs. You could even add a note at the end s, aying if you can't issue me a number, what would you like me to do about completing this declaration. Then wait and see what happens and take it from there. Tax offices in France are a completely different animal from HMRC, if that's who you're used to dealing with - the staff are usually friendly and helpful and they actually seem to like people to contact them when they have questions.

Hope that helps.

Oh and welcome to the forum
Great information. Thank you.
I write to our local public finance office, if I don't hear anything I'll pop in when we are over again in April.
Old Jan 27th 2023, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Andyj100 will become famous soon enoughAndyj100 will become famous soon enough

​​​​​​​Well; in the past I think you had to have a fiscal number before you could set up a personal space, and normally the way you get your fiscal number as a non resident is when you receive your first property tax bills, which for you won't be until the end of this year.

It was always the case that if you wanted a fiscal number before it was notified to you as a matter of course, you could in theory request one from your local tax office. The thing with that is that some tax offices would issue one without a murmur, some would say No we don't do that, and some wouldn't respond at all. But maybe with this new requirements there will be a proper policy of giving people their number when they request it.

Whatever, I think that's what to do first. Write to your tax office, explain you've recently bought a property and haven't yet had any tax dealings, but you would like a tax number so that you can set up a personal space and meet your obligations. And maybe send them a copy of your French acte de vente, and a copy of your passport and your driving licence showing your UK address, for good measure, they do like their justiificatifs. You could even add a note at the end s, aying if you can't issue me a number, what would you like me to do about completing this declaration. Then wait and see what happens and take it from there. Tax offices in France are a completely different animal from HMRC, if that's who you're used to dealing with - the staff are usually friendly and helpful and they actually seem to like people to contact them when they have questions.

Hope that helps.

I did it the other way round on inheriting an apartment. I get the fiscal number on-line, then wrote to the local tax office with the references from my late father's tax bill and gave them my new number. It was seamless and eventually the bills appeared via the app and I could. set up a direct debit.
Old Jan 30th 2023, 9:32 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look in my personal space with the "Impots" and I don't seem to have a house

I shouldn't laugh really cause they were right, up to november I didn't have one and stayed at my brother's and then I bought this house.
Since I don't see anywhere where I can declare my house, can I assume they will catch up with me and the form will appear later in the year ?
Old Jan 30th 2023, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Just had a look in my personal space with the "Impots" and I don't seem to have a house

I shouldn't laugh really cause they were right, up to november I didn't have one and stayed at my brother's and then I bought this house.
Since I don't see anywhere where I can declare my house, can I assume they will catch up with me and the form will appear later in the year ?
There's a quite comprehensive list of FAQs here
https://www.impots.gouv.fr/sites/def...n/faq_gmbi.pdf
This one relates to your question
"En cas de mutation d’un bien, que faire si celui-ci n’est pas visible dans le service en ligne « Biens Immobiliers » ?
En cas de mutation d’un bien, lors d’un achat par exemple, il faut attendre que l'enregistrement soit effectif et donc que votre bien soit visible dans « Biens Immobiliers ». Dans le cas où vous ne pouvez pas remplir votre obligation déclarative avant le 30 juin, vous devez en informer l’administration via la messagerie sécurisée disponible dans votre espace particulier ou professionnel sur impots.gouv.fr. "
Old Jan 30th 2023, 12:09 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

There's a quite comprehensive list of FAQs here
https://www.impots.gouv.fr/sites/def...n/faq_gmbi.pdf
This one relates to your question
"En cas de mutation d’un bien, que faire si celui-ci n’est pas visible dans le service en ligne « Biens Immobiliers » ?
En cas de mutation d’un bien, lors d’un achat par exemple, il faut attendre que l'enregistrement soit effectif et donc que votre bien soit visible dans « Biens Immobiliers ». Dans le cas où vous ne pouvez pas remplir votre obligation déclarative avant le 30 juin, vous devez en informer l’administration via la messagerie sécurisée disponible dans votre espace particulier ou professionnel sur impots.gouv.fr. "
"devez en informer l’administration" ...
which is very funny since I wouldn't have known about this form if you good people hadn't talked about it.

My lesson for today : try to keep up to date with whatever the impots are up to ... (That'll keep me busy )

Thanks for your info !!!
Old Feb 3rd 2023, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is another useful link about the new requirement: https://www.economie.gouv.fr/obligat...s-immobiliers#
Old Feb 4th 2023, 7:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
"devez en informer l’administration" ...
which is very funny since I wouldn't have known about this form if you good people hadn't talked about it.

My lesson for today : try to keep up to date with whatever the impots are up to ... (That'll keep me busy )

Thanks for your info !!!
Same for me! I've still not heard anything on the TV or Radio....
Moral - consult your Espace-Client regularly!
P.S. I only clicked on the Owner-Occupier button, but presume that the section for Landlords renting out isn't too complicated....

Last edited by dmu; Feb 4th 2023 at 7:35 am.
Old Feb 4th 2023, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine there'll be an alert when folks fill their tax returns in. The deadline seems to be timed so that anyone who didn't know about it, will be made aware at tax return time and will still have plenty of time to do it before the June deadline.
I'm still debating whether I need to query the fact it says my house has a cellar when it doesn't, the ground floor tiles are directly on earth.
Old Feb 4th 2023, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

dmu, consider subscribing to the weekly government news letter Bercy infos Particuliers. I find them useful. An archive of past news is also available.

There is another news letter for businesses at the same link, Bercy infos Entreprises.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

danhollins is an unknown quantity at this point

Well; in the past I think you had to have a fiscal number before you could set up a personal space, and normally the way you get your fiscal number as a non resident is when you receive your first property tax bills, which for you won't be until the end of this year.

Hope that helps.

Quick update. Wrote to the local tax office on the 27th January, following Eurotrash's advice. Had an email about an hour ago with my Fiscal number, logged onto impot.gouv.fr and registered etc. Declaration completed. Thanks for the invaluble advice.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by danhollins
Quick update. Wrote to the local tax office on the 27th January, following Eurotrash's advice. Had an email about an hour ago with my Fiscal number, logged onto impot.gouv.fr and registered etc. Declaration completed. Thanks for the invaluble advice.
Glad it worked so seamlessly for you, would that all issues were so easily solved! and thanks for coming back with the update.
Old Feb 26th 2023, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

We were unable to register our property although we already had a numero fiscale for local taxes.
A visit to the local tax office where the very helpful lady processed our registration which allowed us to log in and complete the process.
As a non-resident, we do not complete a tax return and the access code is on tax demand from the fisc.