Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

New to Carcassonne

New to Carcassonne

Old Apr 29th 2022, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Carcassonne

Thanks Cyrian
yes I am aware I have to declare it here but I will still be better off than leaving it in my French current account. I didn’t want to transfer that cash back the the UK and make the currency dealers even richer! By the way when you do transfer money do you just accept the rate the dealer qoutes or do you compare it with the on the spot bank rate snd haggle? I’ve found that sometimes they offer 3 pts below bank rate and sometimes 4 or even 5 and when challenged they give a better rate. It seems odd to me (not an economist) that they don’t appear to offer better rates when exchanging large sums of money. For example they’d ask how much I want to transfer - I tell them - they quote a rate - I then say maybe I’ll exchange much more and they’ve never offered a better rate.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

By 3 pts below I mean I multiply the bank rate by 0.997 and that would be the least I would expect the currency people to give me.
or am I being naive?
Old Apr 29th 2022, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am only transferring smaller amounts now - just to top-up my account - and I check the available rates beforehand.
I use Wise for the transfers and I also have their multi currency pre-pay card.
If I am not happy with the rate at that time then I can wait for a better rate,
As I said, the transfer took 11 seconds and the card top-up is not much longer than that.
I have just returned from the USA where I had US$ on the card which I can change into euros or GBP as I wish.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Mk.13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzer70
Hi - I’m not near Carcossone but the Dordogne. Thought though I could give input about bank account.
before actually signing any papers re house purchase I got in touch with the local Credit Agricole branch and was assigned a consueler (sp) who was/is fantastically helpful. Everything was so easy. Whenever I email with a query he tends to phone me (yes! You actually speak to a human being!) and sorts it out. After all the costs I ended up with about €18k in the current account which obviously gets no interest so I contacted my man and he suggested and opened a Livret A account which is linked to my current account - moving cash back and forward online a cinch - plus 1% interest. I have very limited French language skills - mon Consuelor speaks excellent English.
I too am not resident in France yet - spending a total of 4 months in Coux this year but plan to move permanently at beginning of next year.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Old May 14th 2022, 11:37 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

I see there are some new people here who made the plunge to move to Carcassonne.
After having lived in the Var from 1996 till 2020 and at the moment not really liking the Charente Maritime, I'm wondering what life is like in that neck of the woods ?
It's especially the climate that is of interest ...
Heat I can handle but I somehow hate the cold and windy weather.
How was the winter where you are ?
Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks