Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Must see places in France before we leave?!

Wikiposts

Must see places in France before we leave?!

Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:14 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must see places in France before we leave?!

Originally Posted by GillyG
Cheers guys. Think we'll give Rennes-le-Chateau and Foix a go next weekend...fingers crossed for good weather!
Go Safely GG The Eye is upon you and yours. Beware the locks that hide the swarm. And the Pizza on the main square is excellent. And its worth driving further up the Valley to visit Rennes Les Bains and Bugarach. Please don't approach the Aliens. They have leave to remain but appaling colour schemes.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:06 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Rennes les Bains is the "wee sister in the valley" of Rennes le Chateau, and yes, well worth a visit - lovely square and one of them thermal bath thingies.

Also forgot about Limoux - that was a nice town too, again, lovely square and a cafe on it with English papers where we spent many a morning drinking coffee and looking like we understood the Times (which is unintelligible to me in any language). Great market there too.

Have a great time.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:57 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Rennes les Bains is the "wee sister in the valley" of Rennes le Chateau, and yes, well worth a visit - lovely square and one of them thermal bath thingies.

Also forgot about Limoux - that was a nice town too, again, lovely square and a cafe on it with English papers where we spent many a morning drinking coffee and looking like we understood the Times (which is unintelligible to me in any language). Great market there too.

Have a great time.
Did you see any aliens while you were in Rennes?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:51 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, saw one that was really scary, all wild hair and wearing half a T shirt, and was so covered with ice it looked like she had been revived from being cryogenically frozen - then I realised it was a mirror in the pharmacie ....
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of

Just for those who enjoy going against the grain....
Calais, exterior suburbs of Paris, North suburbs Marseille,Industrial zones in Lyon and other socially deprived areas away from wonderland...

Last edited by Nibbler; Apr 25th 2009 at 1:19 am.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:20 am
down under where

any aliens there?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by treskillard
any aliens there?
Yep!!! loads illegal,legal,english and from every other tin pot country in the world
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:26 am
down under where

Originally Posted by Nibbler
Yep!!! loads illegal,legal,english and from every other tin pot country in the world
The English press announced they were (they being the French [raise spit - gob]) going to "clean it up and give them all lifts into the jolly old English ports.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:03 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We (my husband and myself )are currently living just outside of Toulouse but are emigrating to Australia in September

What places would people recommend visiting before we leave especially as we may never return to France ever again

Thanks!
My mention of Montségur (Ariège) on another post reminded me to recommend going to see that and other castle ruins in the Cathar country, more or less south of Castelnaudary-Carcassonne (which latter is also a MUST if you haven't already been there). Steeped in history...
If you go as far north as the Normandie beaches, another Must is the Mont St Michel.
What have you visited so far?
Old May 5th 2009, 7:41 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We (my husband and myself )are currently living just outside of Toulouse but are emigrating to Australia in September

What places would people recommend visiting before we leave especially as we may never return to France ever again

Thanks!
Theres the Reptile Farm near Foix with crocs loads of snakes and the biggest collection of tortoises I have ever seen, The Snail Museum in Barjac near St Girons which is a must for anyone with a sense of humor run by Marco loverly chap. Wolf Park (With real live Wolfs) on the road up to Ax Les Thermes and Andorra. Have a Look around Foix Castle, Mirepoix is nice theres the underground river you can go on a boat ride. Parc Prehistore in Tarascon sur Ariege.

And if that leaves you wanting more visit the Renault Garage in St Girons they will give you the run around for hours
Old May 5th 2009, 9:03 pm
Banned

Sfephen is an unknown quantity at this point

?? Gill what's the point ?? You've lived in France now. You know what's in your region, so what's the point of scooting around all over the place, looking for things to miss. If you haven't found them near to home, then they are not yours to miss.

Look forward to what you have ahead. Despite the daft comments about Australia, you will find it just as interesting as France but in a totally different way. I have lived all over the world and in truth France is OK but that's about it. The supermarkets are washing away the last remnants of culture, along with the Euro and if you want to drive 10 hours to find a town much the same as the last, with Vanilla supermarkets strangling the life out of local shops and customs as Herman said. Well you are Frankly already in that country.

Enjoy Australia, the rainforest, the snow peaked mountains and the breathtaking beaches and don't forget to visit Asia, if you get the chance.

Old May 5th 2009, 10:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sfephen;7545279]?? Gill what's the point ?? You've lived in France now. You know what's in your region, so what's the point of scooting around all over the place, looking for things to miss. If you haven't found them near to home, then they are not yours to miss.

We lived in the Paris Region before moving down to the Languedoc and almost every Sunday during the months preceding the move, we took the girls to Paris to visit all the museums, historical monuments, churches, everything worth visiting, in order to absorb some culture before being buried in rural Hérault. We, the parents, who were working in Paris, also enjoyed playing at tourists (except for the Eiffel Tower...)
Being based in Toulouse, it would be a pity for the OP to miss seeing all the natural beauty and man-made wonders of the Midi-Pyrénées and neighbouring Régions at least, as recommended by fellow BEs, before they leave.
Old May 5th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dmu
My mention of Montségur (Ariège) on another post reminded me to recommend going to see that and other castle ruins in the Cathar country, more or less south of Castelnaudary-Carcassonne (which latter is also a MUST if you haven't already been there). Steeped in history...
If you go as far north as the Normandie beaches, another Must is the Mont St Michel.
What have you visited so far?
I think we have been to Montsegur already...ruin on top of a VERY steep hill? Lovely place and great scenary. We have been to Carcassonne a few times, also a great place. We went to Foix and Limoux this weekend, both were very pretty.

[QUOTE=Ka Ora!;7545134]Theres the Reptile Farm near Foix with crocs loads of snakes and the biggest collection of tortoises I have ever seen, The Snail Museum in Barjac near St Girons which is a must for anyone with a sense of humor run by Marco loverly chap. Wolf Park (With real live Wolfs) on the road up to Ax Les Thermes and Andorra. Have a Look around Foix Castle, Mirepoix is nice theres the underground river you can go on a boat ride. Parc Prehistore in Tarascon sur Ariege.

Hilarious that you mention the snail museum...my [usually interesting] husband is doing an OU degree and is having to study snails as part of the course and we happen to be going to St Girons this weekend...he's going to love it!!! Wolf park sounds interesting- are they just roaming around the park?

Originally Posted by Sfephen
?? Gill what's the point ?? You've lived in France now. You know what's in your region, so what's the point of scooting around all over the place, looking for things to miss. If you haven't found them near to home, then they are not yours to miss.

I know some places that are in my area but not all...that's why this forum is great! We don't have any kids so it is easy for my OH and myself to jump in the car and drive wherever we want for the weekend even if it is a few hours drive.

Enjoy Australia, the rainforest, the snow peaked mountains and the breathtaking beaches and don't forget to visit Asia, if you get the chance.

I will, I can't wait to be in Oz but don't want to waste my last 4 months in France planning on what I am going to see and do in Australia

Cheers everyone x
Old May 6th 2009, 12:38 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hilarious that you mention the snail museum...my [usually interesting] husband is doing an OU degree and is having to study snails as part of the course and we happen to be going to St Girons this weekend...he's going to love it!!! Wolf park sounds interesting- are they just roaming around the park?

I will, I can't wait to be in Oz but don't want to waste my last 4 months in France planning on what I am going to see and do in Australia

Cheers everyone x
Here is the map on how to get there, say hi to Marco and for me he is the owner. Tell him the English man avec le petie garson called Jude who used to live next door sent you. You will get a good reception. It reminds me of a party we had at his house one evening someone put on a Beatles album and when Hey Jude came on everyone insisted on throwing our little boy about a bit First French Party very scary

Big fence between public and Wolves, A enjoyable location.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; May 6th 2009 at 12:41 am.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Here is the map on how to get there, say hi to Marco and for me he is the owner. Tell him the English man avec le petie garson called Jude who used to live next door sent you. You will get a good reception. It reminds me of a party we had at his house one evening someone put on a Beatles album and when Hey Jude came on everyone insisted on throwing our little boy about a bit First French Party very scary

Big fence between public and Wolves, A enjoyable location.
Poor child! Thanks for the map.