Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Must see places in France before we leave?!

Wikiposts

Must see places in France before we leave?!

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Must see places in France before we leave?!

Hi,

We (my husband and myself )are currently living just outside of Toulouse but are emigrating to Australia in September

What places would people recommend visiting before we leave especially as we may never return to France ever again

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:29 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must see places in France before we leave?!

The Pyrenees - truly beautiful. Foix is a lovely town.

Also if you haven't been, Mirepoix. Very lovely town, try to go on market day, we loved it.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
The Pyrenees - truly beautiful. Foix is a lovely town.

Also if you haven't been, Mirepoix. Very lovely town, try to go on market day, we loved it.

It's probably a bit far for you to travel - but it's the 65th anniversary of D-Day on 6 June and it's a really special time in Normandy, especially as there are so few veterans left. More details here
http://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2...es-and-events/
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GillyG
Hi,

We (my husband and myself )are currently living just outside of Toulouse but are emigrating to Australia in September

What places would people recommend visiting before we leave especially as we may never return to France ever again

Thanks!
As much culture as possible as you will miss it like hell in Oz.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks!
Gosh this would be sooo hard as I adore France and miss it terribly. Off the top of my head: Carcassonne (and Cassoleut as I am a foodie!), Monet's Garden at Giverny, Paris (as there is always something new to discover), quite a bit of the Dordogne, Bordeaux, Mont St Michel, Lac Annecy, Lyon (and lunch at La Pyramide in Vienne), many of the villages and chateaus in the Loire, Versaille and a couple of things that I didn't get to do - that new elevated road in the SE (in the Tarn region?) and Orange in Provence.

My in-laws live 6 months of the year in Limousin - wish they and France were a little closer
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:12 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks!
Some of my favourites include Porquerroles Island in the Hyeres gulf, the Alps in summer (small traditional Alpine villages, walks in the dazzling sun), the Pyrenees, Dordoigne (kayaking, towns like Sarlat, staying in the thick of the vinyards away from the world), the Alsace region (forests for walking and towns like Colmar with its Little Venice), the long beaches of the South West (surfing in Lacanau or Hossegor). I could go on and on, I love this country. I previously lived in Australia for 3 years, sorry but despite what Aussies will tell you it cannot compete with France for scenery and variety. Nice people though.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Herman
I previously lived in Australia for 3 years, sorry but despite what Aussies will tell you it cannot compete with France for scenery and variety.
When we first moved to Melb the locals said to us that driving down the Mornington Pensinsula was liking driving thru parts of France and Italy - nothing could be further from the truth!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks!
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rennes-le-Chateau, which is no more than an hours drive from the Toulouse region.
Steeped with history and conspiracy theories - more so since the publication of the Da Vinci Code, this site is imho well-worth a visit.
Take the A61 motorway out of Toulouse (direction Carcasonne), exiting in the direction of Limoux (think its the D623 - this is a great drive which takes you through some great rolling countryside). Through Limoux keeping on the main road (D118?) through to Couiza. Just after the centre of Couiza a mile or two on the same road in the direction of Quillan, a small sign on the left indicates the winding road up to Rennes-le-Chateau. Suggest arriving in the morning to ensure finding a car parking slot - not too difficult.
Here's a little more info on Rennes-le-Chateau to whet your appetite.
Here.

And here.

I'm not one usually who visits churches, but the creepy atmosphere inside this village church and the garden museum are both worth-while, with some splendid views around the surrounding countryside.
Bon voyage, & good luck in Australia.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:53 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzSheila
When we first moved to Melb the locals said to us that driving down the Mornington Pensinsula was liking driving thru parts of France and Italy - nothing could be further from the truth!
Agree, we were quite disappointed with the Mornington Peninsula. Obviously Australia has some spectacular places but boy do you have to travel a long way to see them. Did a few very long touring holidays and were quite often disappointed at having driven 10 hours from one town to the next place, normally somewhere highly praised by an Aussie guide book, only to find it exactly the same as the place we had left many kms earlier that day. Like driving round in circles sometimes.

PS. Great Ocean road was great though. Loved it.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

scaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant future

I would say Les Gorges du Verdon, the 'grand canyon' of Europe. After you've driven around the top of it, drive to the camp site at the bottom then hire a canoe to paddle through it. Magical!
We have just spent 11 weeks in Aus.. a great place to visit but we love Europe too much to move there.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by scaredycat
I would say Les Gorges du Verdon, the 'grand canyon' of Europe. After you've driven around the top of it, drive to the camp site at the bottom then hire a canoe to paddle through it. Magical!
We have just spent 11 weeks in Aus.. a great place to visit but we love Europe too much to move there.
That sounds great. Never been, its on my list now. That's what I love about France, so many great places to see, so much variety.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:44 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Lourdes: where there is The Shrine at the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes and The Grotty Shrink of Ka Ora of Course.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:26 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treskillard
Lourdes: where there is The Shrine at the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes and The Grotty Shrink of Ka Ora of Course.
He'll be after you with Holy Water, M16's and that cutting wit m8, you're brave indeed

That shrine thing was rather a let-down I thought. 5 dead flower heads and a hot dog van selling Madonna Megaburgers don't do it for me but what do I know about culture and all that.

Leading me on nicely to Tweedy's recommendation of Rennes le Chateau and I so agree, wonderful place, as you all know I don't "do" churches either, but this one is very special atmospherical wise, but for God's Sake and your own, get a lift up there, because cycling 5 kilometres up 1 in 2 is no fun, and it don't matter what the weather, it kills you anyway, whether it's -8 or +40 you will suffer. Been there and what's left of the T shirt (which was practically blown off me on the way down by the cutting wind), has now been embroidered with the words "Never Again".

Gorgeous little shop up there and they do great hot chocolate. I was never sure if the shortness of breath was caused by the feeling of being near the vertical limit or the bike ride, but well worth it when you get there.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:56 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Tweedy's recommendation of Rennes le Chateau and I so agree....
Right is that what he's into. I suspect you found spiritual reward in your journey.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers guys. Think we'll give Rennes-le-Chateau and Foix a go next weekend...fingers crossed for good weather!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.