Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving within France

Moving within France

Old Mar 7th 2024, 7:09 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving within France

After over 30 years in North Hérault, I'll soon be moving to pastures new (mainly to be nearer my grandson, whilst remaining in France).
I've made a list of all the Administrations, Utilities, etc.... to inform (which corresponds more or less to the list after OH's decease) and they add up to about 15!
Apart from the usual suspects (Fisc, CPAM, Mutuelle, various French and English Pensions, Banks, Insurances, EdF, Water, Internet, Mobile), can any one think of any one I've forgotten?
I won't have the possibility of Satellite TV, so that abonnement will be cancelled, likewise my landline, and La Poste will forward mail for 6 months, to cover magazine subscriptions until I'm settled.
A lot of paperwork to do, some of which can apparently be done on-line, but with my illectronism.....
Any and all additions to the list will be welcome!
Old Mar 8th 2024, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving within France

Hi DMU. At the moment I can't think of anything obvious to add to your list which looks pretty comprehensive. If I do I'll report back.
Good luck with your move which I'm sure will be an upheaval but no doubt for the best. Any hints as to which part of France you are moving to - although you may not wish to share that info.
All the best!
TP

PS: Last minute thought. You probably don't drive, but if you do it’s imperative to have your updated address on both your driver’s license and vehicle registration. This can be done on-line via the official ANTS portal (which I believe will require an updated log-in password for those who haven't visited over a certain period).

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 8th 2024 at 8:20 am.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

You sound very well organised DMU and I can think of no useful additions to your list. So it just remains to wish you all the best with the move. Like Tweedpipe, I’m curious which region you’re moving to!
Please tell me you’re coming to Strasbourg. Could do with a nice sensible Brit up the road.
Old Mar 9th 2024, 7:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Hi DMU. At the moment I can't think of anything obvious to add to your list which looks pretty comprehensive. If I do I'll report back.
Good luck with your move which I'm sure will be an upheaval but no doubt for the best. Any hints as to which part of France you are moving to - although you may not wish to share that info.
All the best!
TP

PS: Last minute thought. You probably don't drive, but if you do it’s imperative to have your updated address on both your driver’s license and vehicle registration. This can be done on-line via the official ANTS portal (which I believe will require an updated log-in password for those who haven't visited over a certain period).
and Helen1964 I don't know why I'm so coy about announcing my future abode - I'm moving to Strasbourg, to be closer to DD1 and grandson in Berlin ("only" 7 hours by train instead of 14, at present, during the 10 months when the direct flights aren't operational). I'll also be closer to the Paris in-laws and just as far from DD2 in Lyon as now. The UK family almost as complicated to get to as at present....
Good point about the future of the car. I won't need it in the city and DD2 will be inheriting it. It's her problem for changing the Carte Grise, but I'll have to acquire a Crit'Air vignette before we leave here... I checked my French driver's license and, surprizingly, the plastic card which I received in 2022 doesn't include my address. On the other hand, my Carte d'Identité does, so I suppose I'll have to pay a visit to the Stras' Mairie to change it.
By miracle, I've found a Service Public site which centralizes all the Administrations (Fisc, S.S., most Pensions,...) for announcing change of domicile, so just one on-line operation to carry out. I've prepared snail-mail letters for everything else for which I haven't got an Espace Client. ...
I'll report on further progress, as and when!
Old Mar 9th 2024, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Fwiw, my crystal ball sees DMU sipping a cup of tea with Helen in the not to distant future - with pinky finger raised in typical Brit fashion.
Spoiler:

Or for those who need a pinky restrainer..........
Spoiler:

Old Mar 9th 2024, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

This is most exciting!
Old Mar 10th 2024, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

dmu Sounds like a good move.
I really liked Strasbourg but haven't been there for years.
If your car is subject to a Controle Technique then you may need to check if it needs to be done before it is transferred to your DD.
When you sell a car then the CT needs to be less than 6 months old.
I assume that it is the same for a transfer.
Good luck
Old Mar 10th 2024, 9:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cyrian
dmu Sounds like a good move.
I really liked Strasbourg but haven't been there for years.
If your car is subject to a Controle Technique then you may need to check if it needs to be done before it is transferred to your DD.
When you sell a car then the CT needs to be less than 6 months old.
I assume that it is the same for a transfer.
Good luck
Good point! I'll be giving the car to DD2 as from mid-April, and will drop in at the local C.T. Centre tomorrow to ask whether the car needs a C.T. by then, or whether it can wait until the due date in September.
It didn't occur to me to think about the car, so thank you and tp for the heads-up!

Sightly off-topic, the Assureur told me that the green Vignettes will soon be abolished. However will the flics know whether a car is insured or not?
Old Mar 10th 2024, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

My insurance company keeps telling me that too and yet every December a fresh one arrives through the post.
God knows how the flics will know but then I understand less and less these days. How do the ticket inspectors on public transport in The Hague (and London?) know whether users of the tap on, tap off system have paid? I have no idea And yet they do know, apparently.
Similarly, we don’t have to display our residents’ parking stickers on the windshield anymore. The traffic wardens can tell from their handheld devices whether and until when we’ve paid.

Incidentally, owning a car in Strasbourg is a liability these days so wise move on your part not to have one.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 7:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Helen1964
My insurance company keeps telling me that too and yet every December a fresh one arrives through the post.
God knows how the flics will know but then I understand less and less these days. How do the ticket inspectors on public transport in The Hague (and London?) know whether users of the tap on, tap off system have paid? I have no idea And yet they do know, apparently.
Similarly, we don’t have to display our residents’ parking stickers on the windshield anymore. The traffic wardens can tell from their handheld devices whether and until when we’ve paid.

Incidentally, owning a car in Strasbourg is a liability these days so wise move on your part not to have one.
If police and traffic wardens enter the car registration number into their all-singing, all-dancing devices, maybe everything pertinent comes up on the screen nowadays (or has been coming up for some time)? The wonders of modern science, and it does save on paper....
Yes, the whole purpose of passing my car over to DD2 is because it's completely useless in the city, with all the public transport on hand. For long distances, I've always taken the train....
Old Mar 11th 2024, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you are well on top of things as always. Hope the move goes without a hitch, and that you settle in quickly and enjoy your new abode, I'm sure you will!
Old Mar 12th 2024, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

According to the C.T. fellow, the Carte Grise people want to see a C.T. less than 6 months old, however the ownership of the car was transferred. Yet another "to-do" thing to put on my list, and hopefully no counter-visit.....
By miracle, I managed to buy a Crit'Air sticker on-line, and I've also discovered that, strangely, there's no obligation to change the address on my Carte d'Identité as soon as I arrive. I'll do it anyway, when I'm settled in, otherwise I'll have no justification of domicile (the plastic Driving Licenses don't indicate your address).
Old Mar 12th 2024, 7:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
It sounds like you are well on top of things as always. Hope the move goes without a hitch, and that you settle in quickly and enjoy your new abode, I'm sure you will!
It may sound like it, but, underneath, I'm in all of a dither!
Old Mar 14th 2024, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
It may sound like it, but, underneath, I'm in all of a dither!
Dither or no, you'll cope. Une source sure!
Old Mar 21st 2024, 8:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Crit'Air thingy duly arrived, and the C.T. was OK, except for the need for new tyres. All "car" things now ticked off...
I've been procrastinating the on-line step on the centralized Gouv.fr site, and must still find out when Orange (ex-France Télécom) actually cuts you off after they've been informed of the cancellation of contract. The day they receive the info? the date which you can specify? the date of the next bill? I don't want to inform them (either on-line or by LRAR) and then discover that they cut you off that very day. I'll want to use my Olde Worlde computer up to the last moment, but I realise that I'll have to return them the LiveBox at one stage... I'll look on the Orange site, but has any one out there had to cancel the Orange landline/wifi contract?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.